1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front suspension and why

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how many Mustang 11 (including the version with a 302) and pintos had the control arms break due to a supposed poor design.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running a Volare in my unibody because it was FREE. If I had the money to spend I'd go with Industrial Chassis Dakota hub to hub.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
On the original Fox bodied cars the engine and passengers sat much further back compared to the wheel location which put significantly higher percentage of the weight on the rear wheels, and the whole car weighed ~ 2000#. A friend of mine AXed a 302 Pinto and he cracked lower control arms and beat out the strut arm bushings regularly. FWIU checking the lower arms for cracking was a regular maintainance item on the 5.0 M II police cruisers.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
That's kind of interesting but I never heard of the police version of a Mustang 11 ( not saying there wasn't ) and the Mustang 11 was not a Fox body. Those guys had a struct front suspension not a SLA. You and I will never agree on the Must 11 frt susp so if you like lets just agree to disagree on this subject. Before anybody gets their shorts in a twist we all have a right to our opinion on any subject I just happen to be one of the original designers that packaged the Must 11.

Chuck

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I am using a frame clip from a 87 Town Car, why? the frame was already butchered from a PO attempting to put a Volare suspension in and I already had the Lincoln. If I had it to do again, I would use a good frame and install the Jag suspension. My truck is not on the road yet, but I hope to drive it this summer.
DITTO (except Aussie GM clip- like a Camaro graft to recover from a butchered, half-assed PO Volare abortion destroying the original rails)

JUST USE THE JAG !

Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
While I highly respect Ax's opinions on just about everything, I don't feel like I compromised anything using a Volare suspension under my truck. It rides smooth, it's low enough, and I would not want anything else under there at this point...

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I purchased the boxes and boxes of parts that turned into a 53 F100 it already had the Volare suspension installed on the frame. I have only driven it for a little over 500kms but it felt and handled great. I have no plans to remove it.......but I have never driven in a truck with any other style front end...... so take it for what it is worth my lowly opinion

Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Merc546,
Not trying to diss you, but your assertions don't match the accepted facts.
Quoting from Wikipedia's history of the Mustang:
2nd generation (1974-78)
"Lee Iacocca ordered the development of a smaller Mustang for 1974 introduction with initial plans calling for the downsized Mustang to be based on the compact Ford Maverick, which was similar in size and power to the Falcon upon which the original Mustang had been based. Those plans were later scrapped in favor of an even smaller Mustang based on the subcompact Ford Pinto."
Third generation (1979-93)
"For 1979, the all new Mustang was based on the larger Fox platform."
4th generation (1994-2004)
1994, the Mustang underwent its first major redesign in 15 years. The design was based on an updated version of the rear-wheel drive Fox platform known as "Fox-4".
There indeed was a police interceptor Mustang in the early 80's. I moved to NC in 1979 and getting the Mustangs made the state troopers here think they could run down even the Duke boys. The lack of dependability and small size soon had the state replacing the Mustangs with Chevy sedans. There are still a few of the hand me downs being used by some of the rural sheriffs.
Here again from Wiki:
The Ford Mustang SSP was a lightweight police car package based on the Ford Mustang produced between 1982-1993. The car was meant to provide a speedier option for police departments in lieu of other full sized (and heavy) sedans on the market at the time. The SSP abbreviates the designation Special Service Package, a special Foxbody Mustang trim made exclusively for law enforcement use.
Yes we will never agree on the suitability of the OEM MII suspension parts for use under 4000# nose heavy pickups, but I don't know very many knowlegable builders that would agree with your opinion, otherwise they would still be offered by the major aftermarket manufacturers. Sorry.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
V8muscle
Senior User
Thanks guys. I thought that I had checked all of the articles at the top of the page, but guess I missed some.

Like I said, I know there are significant differences of opinion on this topic and my intent was not to create any further conflict.

What I find interesting is that until you make a decision for yourself, there is merit to all of the opinions.

But, that is what a forum is for.

Thanks again
Bill

Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
AXracer

Your in the ballpark but the Must 11/Pinto ended in 1978 and the Fox bodied mustang era begain in 1979 which indicates the 1979 Must thru today is not called a Mustang 11 and it doesn't have a Short Long Arm suspension like the Must 11 (not sure about the 2005 till today retired in 2001).

If you ever watched a police officer chase a bad guy (or just having stupid fun) there is no question that they will crack lower arms and many other suspension parts.

So in conclusion maybe you should really check your so called accepted facts.

Now for my part this discussion is over. If you want to continue your on your own.

P.S. I have a Volare susp in this 56 and it's great except for a little more slop in the steering then I like, may change it to R/P.

Chuck

Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey dude, for what its worth, I have a '76 Nova subframe under my'56. I've done several subframes AND reframes. My personal opinion from my experience is kind of like everything else you change affects something else. That being said the Nova/Camaro clip is a pretty good choice, but not for everyone. It is quite a bit harder to install, and for a novice I wouldnt recommend it at all. The only major drawback to the Nova/Camaro is the turning radius is HUGE!! Along with the fact my truck is so low, I have to make several shots at a parking place many times.

If I were goin to get an aftermarket setup, I'd go with the folks that make the crossmember using Dodge Dakota suspension parts. I have had NO experience with the Jag stuff, but I really like the looks of it. I like to use OEM stuff when possible, but you have to make sure you use something that not only measures the right width and such but is also able to take the weight. AX is completely right on about these trucks being nose heavy. I am totally against using a stock MII crossmember and to be honest not to crazy about using one at all. I think they look dinky. (just my opinion)

I've used an Aerostar on an old Dodge once. It worked out real well, and is pretty close to the same weight of our trucks.

Dont nobody go getting mad, that's just my opinion, but I do have several trucks on the road that I've built, so its not my first day on the job.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to this man as he is wise behond his time.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
V8 find someone with their truck setup the way you think you might be interested in. See if they will take you for a ride. If they are willing see if they would let you drive a block or two. Base your choice off a few things:

-Your comfort/satisfaction level with the suspension of choice, after all you will be driving the truck
-Your wallet, always a factor
-Parts Availability in case you get suck in NO Man's land,(Pick state of your choice) on a Saturday evening at 9:01 pm leaving a cruise in.

Now make your choice. I drove a Volare equipped truck and FOMOCO equipped one. Nothing against the Volare cause it's a good one. My choice was just preferential toward FOMOCO IFS for the reasons above. Remember EVERYBODY that chimes in is just giving their opinion/experiences. Bobco the builder of many nice F100's http://bobcoauto.com/ at one time loved Volare IFS. He moved onto Camaro. He did Vettes. He marveled at Steve S. Dakota based IFS. His last few magazine trucks had frames from Walton's Fabrication. So it is ever changing. You need to get a BUTT IN THE SEAT feel for the suspension before you measure,cut, or write or count(Check(s) or Cash. And Brother in the words of Walter Cronkite "That's the way it is"

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
VespaJay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 54fordpickup
Go to the 1976-1972 F-100 sight and look down the first or second page for the thread labeled 06Crown Vic Front suspension . . . . I have checked here in Connecticut and it looks like you can get the complete front suspension with the rack steering for around $500.
Here's the link to the Crown Vic installation thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-67-f100.html

Holy mackerel! This seems almost made to order for our trucks.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VespaJay
Here's the link to the Crown Vic installation thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-67-f100.html

Holy mackerel! This seems almost made to order for our trucks.

Hey Thanks VespaJay! I'm kind of a techtard so I didnt know exactly where this thread was located and didnt have time to search. That is one awesome install!! I had a guy come up to me at the Supernats a few years ago and tell me about that front end and he was goin to use it on his '56. He had some pics, but I hadnt seen one in person. Thats a great subframe choice!! I'd use that one before I'd use anything else!! The track is right, and the weight is right!! And it would drive GREAT!!! And it looks pretty easy even for someone who has limited skills Great Job!!

Quick Reply: Front suspension and why