1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino lining or is there something better

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Rhino lining or is there something better

Now, I have an Excursion so bed lining stuff isn't really my forte. My current pickup has a composite bed (Chevy Avalanche) so makes me know even less about bed liners. I actually prefer the Bedrug to spray on liners in my trucks but I digress...

I would like to put a color-matched (or close to) bed lining material on the roof of my Excursion. Yeah, might sound weird but to me it will do a number of things.

Prevent the rust from the huge scratch I got on it from ever getting bigger.
Sound reduction.
Protect the paint if I ever do put something up there.
Maybe even insulate from the sun's heat a bit.

I need to know which material is the most elastic or most resistant to cracking. Which one can I spray and never have to worry about it again.

Do all brands offer color matching?

Seems my choices here on this island are Rhino Lining & Line-X and maybe an off brand or two.

Hopefully, bed liner threads don't end up like gas vs. diesel or "which lift is the best" threads.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 AM
elmo8641
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the rhino is softer and more flexable. the line x is hard. i have the rhino and like it. it is more rubber like and seems to keep things from sliding around.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:14 AM
diver45
New User
I'd have to 2nd the Rhino. I don't have experience with the others but I'm just passing my 2nd winter with mine and I've been using the !@#$% out of it. No cracks or splits and still looks great to me. I would definitely go Rhino the next time again.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 AM
40searay
Junior User
I've had both the Rhino and now currently the lineX. The Rhino may have an edge on the flexible question but I think the LineX has it for hardness and toughness.Both are very durable but I've had 3 tons of crushed limestone on the LineX with no visible evidence left behind. Sounds like you may want the Rhino on the roof as that may have some flex to it.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Ballz_F250
Senior User
OK...now I'm not trying to start the controversy...and I know that everyone has their personal preference...but I'm going to say why I don't like Rhino.

A very good friend of mine (very much like a second Father) was looking to put a liner in his truck. He got samples from the two companies (Rhino and Line-X) and almost immediately snapped the Rhino sample in two pieces! He tried to do the same to the Line-X, but wasn't able. He didn't have the samples more than a few minutes and made his decision.

So...my choice would be the Line-X for more durability...but since you want something that has more elasticity...you might be better off with the Rhino.

Good luck...and hook us up with some pics when you do get it done...I've never seen an X with a liner on the roof...would be kinda interesting!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 AM
fyrmnk1
Junior User
I have a Rhino and have had it since I first bought my truck brand new. Have hauled pallets of landscape blocks, construction tear out debris, lumber, etc. etc. over the years and it's held up extremely well. I do have one small gouge out on the floor near the gate from bad aim while thowing in a piece of steel but that's it (Line-X may not have, but the Rhino has still been great for me), everything else I've thrown in did nothing to it.

At fire dept. I work at, they have Line-x in the pickups, and stuff slides everywhere. Can't just set tools in the back and have them stay put.

There's my two cents. Interesting idea, good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 AM
mfpolter
New User
I have had Rhino Liner, Line-X and now FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) from SPI Industries in my last 3 trucks.

The Rhino Liner was more rubber-like and sprayed on thicker. It's pretty thick so I don't know if you would want it on the roof. It also faded badly after a year in the hot California sun to a nice shade of washed out black. I had it in the back of my K2500 for 3 years and it definately items placed in the bed stayed put better out of all 3 of the spray in liners I have had.

I went with Line-X in the back of my 2006 6.0 and it was beautiful. It held its shine after a year. I put a rather large dent in the right wheel well about the size of my fist and the Line-X conformed to that dent without cracking or peeling. I was impressed. The downside to Line-X is cargo slides all over the place. I don't think this will be a problem on the roof I only have a year experience with the Line-X as this truck was stolen and summarily destroyed a year ago Feb.

For my 07 6.0 I decided to go with a more industrial spray-in that was chemical resistant and hopefully less slippery. I found MFJ on the web, read the reviews and went to a local dealer to check out the samples. It seemed very durable compared to the Rhino lining and less slippery than the Line-X so I gave it a whirl. I have had this a year now and have been impressed with its durability. FMJ hasn't been exposed to the sun as much as the Rhino or Line-X so I can't comment on fading. Rhino Lining actually faded after 3 months in the sun. Both the Line-X and FMJ have done much better with this. The datasheets on FMJ indicate that it has a much higher level of flexibility than the other 2 liners. Also FMJ is a polyurea based coating rather than polyurethane like Rhino and Line-X.

I seem to want to type Linux instead of Line-X.

Hope this helps.

--MikeP

Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is strange, I have had Line-X in the last two trucks of mine and haven't had a problem with stuff sliding around, in fact, I actually had to put stuff in the bed to help slide cargo to the very back in order to close the tail gate, however, that could just be because of the person applying it on the truck not necessarily the product itself. I don't like how the Rhino stuff looks in the bed and it diffently is thicker, too much so for the roof I would think.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
rdglaus2
New User
I have used the herculiner. It is more rubbery, but it also comes off easier. If you scratch it with something hard it will come off. This is a do it yourself type thing. You have to prep the area, with a scotch brite pad and then with acetone. And then you can apply. I did multiple coats, but still get some scratches. Thought this might help

Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Flat8
Freshman User
I've had rhino in one truck, put line-x in the rest, hold's color better and seems not to chip as easy.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Line-x will be able to match your color better. They have a new product that is sprayed on after. I can't remember the name but is provides better uv protection and also has a kevlar base.

A friend had a gray rhino liner put in his truck and with in 2 months it looked bad.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like the Rhino fades faster. Not a huge deal since it'll be where nobody can see it. Plus, it'll either be white or silver. It's the testimonies that it is more flexible that has pushed me to that brand. However, I'm gonna see which one will weigh less for the area that I want to do. Thanks for all the replies.

BTW, many commercial cargo vans have their roofs sprayed to add durability and increased protection from rust etc. I'll only be doing the area between the roof rack rails.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Momorris
Senior User
Originally Posted by rbloodhound
Line-x will be able to match your color better. They have a new product that is sprayed on after. I can't remember the name but is provides better uv protection and also has a kevlar base.

A friend had a gray rhino liner put in his truck and with in 2 months it looked bad.
The new product is called Line-X Xtra and is supposed to hold color longer and also has Kevlar in it. TNT in RoundRock just had this done and posted maybe two days ago.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...oday-pics.html

Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I have a Rhino in my truck. Got it sprayed last summer and it faded to a nasty color because of the immense heat.

However, I got it repsrayed over Xmas break and it's still black as it was the day it was sprayed. They musta mixed it wrong.

It's now like 4 times thicker than Linex (because I have two coats) and I honestly can't see how the Linex would offer better coverage, now that my Rhino is probably 4 times thicker.

Regardless, the Rhino will give and bent whereas Linex typically won't. Some people see that as Rhino's weakness, but I've been extremely surprised at how little thing slide around. If they have enough mass to not get blown away, it will grip in that place no matter how hard I take turns.

My Rhino was not colormatched not was it the one that was supposed to not fade. Linex does have the product that won't fade but since your truck is not black or a dark color, and the fact that nobody can see the top, I think you'd be just as fine with a Rhino liner.

Btw, I had a pallet with 2000lbs of concrete loaded onto my truck and it didn't tear or scratch. They tried as they might to slide it in there lol.

-rockstate

Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You wanna do what to your Excursion? Why don't you do the Chia-Pet thing? You know, water it and grass grows. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY7qQFij_M ) I'm just putting my '00 White Excursion on the market; would you be interested in buying it and then you could do Line-Ex on one and Rhino on the other. Just kidding, but I would love to see some pics after you've had it done.

Quick Reply: Rhino lining or is there something better