General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Drugs in Drinking Water?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drugs in Drinking Water?

This is interesting -

http://news.aol.com/health/story/ar/...09184409990001

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I have a well, I just have to filter out the arsenic and jet fuel lol!!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Thanks for that post I really enjoy reading stuff like that.

So many things are going on in our time its hard to know what to drink eat or do. People need to stop depending on the government and use their own senses.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
What that study shows is how far the analytical techniques and equipment have evolved, not how bad our water supplies have become.

I'd recommend that you just drink beer instead of tap water, but since most beer is brewed with the equivalent of tap water...oh well.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Drugs in Drinking Water?

Oh, WooooooooW man.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spikedog
What that study shows is how far the analytical techniques and equipment have evolved, not how bad our water supplies have become.
I'm not gonna lose sleep over one part per billion of drugs in my tap water. But I do worry what we're becoming as a society when our industrial consumption of pharmaceuticals starts showing up in the water supply.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
To put it in perspective: you'd have to drink 5 olympic sized pools full of water to have any effects at these levels. Sorry, kw5413! They were probably always in the water supply but the tests weren't as accurate or we weren't testing for them at all.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
I have been warning people of this for years and yes there are already have been
bad effects showing up!! The american allligator who's gestation and lifecycle is
more rapid then ours have been showing increasing amounts of intersexed and of
feminzation of males!! It has been happening for years and estrogens getting flushed
and ending up in the water cycle are what is causing it. The proverbial canary?

The problem is and we should all demand that the pharm companies make their drugs
to breakdown rapidly in uv and that the breakdown components also biodegrade.
Sure they have to run a fine line between being strong enough to pass the metabolism
but when it is ending up in some of our most pristine environments we have a problem.

The problem is the water soluble drugs they are mixed with the water molecules and
cannot be strained out like the fat soluble drugs. Maybe steam processing at the
waste treatment plants I don't know but another step has to be added wether it is the
uv breakdown or a steam distillation step(wouldn't smell good!!)
I have been warning folks of the problems of night soils that are being spread onto the
farms and open fields of your city. Sure they treat the solids and it is sterile but that
just means there is no competition and just one Staph(flesh eating bug) to make it
through the treatment then it is dumped on 100cuyards of the most delicious buffet a
microbe could ask for and it goes to splitting and creating more of itself. They need
to start putting the good bacteria onto it and populate it with them instead of saying
we sterilized it! it is good!! That is okay to tell JQ public but if you think about it, it
don't make sense!!
Look up for intersexed reptiles and you will find alot of info about these pharms that
are becoming an ubiquitous part of the environment and it isn't going to go away they
made the drugs too strong and the only thing to do is make the new ones biodegrade.
Anyone want some glacier water I think I'll restart the ice shipping business except
use it as drinking water instead of refrigeration, At least it only has dinosaur urine in it!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
operator414
Senior User
Guys I have been on "hot taps" where we tap live mains or at the end of an old run that people have been drinking from and if that is whats in there and is causing concern then they dont wanna see what I have seen, long story short, I buy bottled now, cheaper then a gallon of gas!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
You got that right...........

Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
I'll take some bacteria or algae or even worms like were coming out of the taps in
a city here, But if I start growing breasts I think I would get pretty mad!! The water
companies don't want the public to get in an uproar about this since they say the
jury is still out. As time goes on and with the boomer generation becoming more and
more dependent on drugs it is only going to get more and more built up in the water.

The new drugs need to engineered to breakdown in UV light that is the only answer
since removing them from the water will increase the costs of our utilities more then
it already is. These contaminants are in all water except glacier ice!! So drinking
bottled water is not going to reduce your exposure and drinking distilled water is not
good for you.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by blue beast
But if I start growing breasts I think I would get pretty mad!!
I'm on well water here, but if growing breasts were an option I might find a different way to pass my time than hanging out on FTE.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 AM
luv_mud
Senior User

Originally Posted by blue beast
.... and drinking distilled water is not
good for you.
Why not? Distilled water has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation produces very pure water.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the very reason i drink beer. Plus fish reproduce in water. Not something i want to think while im drinking. so beer just solves it all.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Plus beer is alot more fun to drink then water, and people start to look more attractive right!

Quick Reply: Drugs in Drinking Water?