Wadda ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Wadda ya think?

I saw an Econoline today with a VIN of E1OSH144XXX. I know nothing about these, so please help me out. It's complete, including a decent tail gate. It does have about an inch wide section of rust on both sides from the front tire to the rear tire. Owner told me the rear end is out, but it runs. It needs a windshield.
If you can't tell by the VIN, it's a pickup, but I guess you could've figured that out when I said "tailgate".

$700.

Any options on here that would make this a bargain?
TIA.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
fords8
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got any pics of this thing?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
If that is a rusted through stripe at the floor level it's not worth the trouble at any price.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cobraguy
If that is a rusted through stripe at the floor level it's not worth the trouble at any price.
Care to elaborate on that a little bit? Like I said, I know nothing about these and could you tell me where they rust out, besides the rocker panels?

I haven't seen the title yet. Is there a single digit that tells what year this is or do the serial numbers have a break off for each year?

This one has sat outside a few years.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
E10- pick up truck
S- 144 CID motor
H- Lorain Assembly plant
144xxx- says 1961 February Manufacturer date.

Now if the rust is right along the very bottom of the truck, itcan be fixed. They sell replacemnet panels for that section. The front door step ups have no replacement panels nor the front valance under the bumper. These are two other places of rust. The box in the back left corner is prone to rust also. This area is hard to repair also. Also the back corners are a neat place for dirt to catch and sit thus rusting the back corners.
If that is all for rust on this truck that is a pretty good deal for $700 beans. Up around here in Canada guys have been selling these trucks now any where from *00 to 2000. Some are out to lunch. One guy wanted 6000 for one that was rusted and filled in with bondo and nice paint. He eventually sold it, But he brought the price down to 4000. It still was not worth that much. It was a wreck that was doctored up to hide the flaws.
The truck your lookingat does not sound that way. It would be a good deal. And sureare fun to drive.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Rusted through = daylight will shine through it. I guess a good bodyman could cut and patch it but I'm not one of those. I'm spoiled here in SoCal with not so rusty parts fairly easy to find. It just isn't worth the effort to do rust repair when rust free can be found.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
I'm not as lucky to find rust free older vehicles up here. Lots got hit with road salts. Thats why some guys travel to southern states and bring back cars. What they call rust down there is a treat for us up here to work on.
One of the 3 truck I have was in a accident and will not be back on the road. If a person got a closer look as I did it has rust holesall through to floor pan. It looks nice from a distance and the insurance paid out $5000 to this truck I got it for 300. The guy undercoated the floors and the box he lined with plywood. Removed that and there was a ton of rust. I bought it mainly as a donor anyways. But that truck was not worth fixing. It is in my gallery. None of my trucks ahve been restored yet. Too bust still build a shop. I hope in a few years because retirement time is upon me if I want early retirement.