1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

filter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question filter??

i want to do the 6637 filter but i am concerned about pulling hot air from the engine during the summer months of pulling. my father is also concerned about it and he thinks i should just take the front off of the stock filter ad use the originl like that so then i have more surface area for the filter. sorry about the long post just tryin to leav enough info. any info on what i should do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM
kawa
Postmaster
You are still pulling the same air from the same area but with the Napa 6637 you have more filter area, less restriction and the possibility of "Dusting" your turbo from unfiltered air is nil if installed properly.

Don't even think twice about dumping the OEM filter and upgrade to a 6637.

Rog

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have nothing to worry about with hot air or even water getting on the filter, while you are driving there is tons of air flowing under the hood.

the main problem with the stock airbox is not flow but dirt ingestion. they do not seal properly and a recall came out for the box bolts, even with the new bolts the box is a horrible seal and dirt goes around the filter. even if you bought a drop in style filter you will still have dirt getting around the filter and into your engine. dirt and 20,000+ rpm turbines dont mix well. if you pull the orange boot off of your turbo will will see the blades are probably rounded a little on your turbo with the miles on your truck, as long as they are not chipped then you have nothing to worry about.

the best thing you can do is get the 6637 and install it. if you are that worried about the hot air you can make a shield very easily out of sheet metal to channel air from the grill into the filter area

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kawa
You are still pulling the same air from the same area but with the Napa 6637 you have more filter area, less restriction and the possibility of "Dusting" your turbo from unfiltered air is nil if installed properly.

Don't even think twice about dumping the OEM filter and upgrade to a 6637.

Rog
One more thing. If you still have the OEM Down Pipe (It's flat and restrictive) upgrade that end as well. With the 6637 your pulling in more air now change the DP to a 3" and let the engine breath while you are doing that summer towing.

Rog