1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

timing my 289 ford engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
cool 48
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing my 289 ford engine

Well, after my little ordeal with the points crapping out on me in the 48 f1, I decided to buy a timing light>( I'm a bike mechanic, no need till now). I got it in today ,adn have also ordered a Mallory electronic ignition with matching coil. I was reading on how to get ,and where to find the timing marks ,and stumbled accross some interesting info. I noticed back when I had points problems, that I have a dual point distributor. The other thing I noticed was that my valve covers are really cool looking. They say Cobra powered by Ford. I didn't think much of it until I read today that Ford put dual points distributors in the Cobras. And that the HP rating is 271 hp. That's a heck of a lot better than 215 hp. This truck has been a little hard to start ,and I think the new ignition will recify that problem. Also ,I need to hook up the electric choke on the carb. It shouldn't be too hard, but can anyone tell me the timing marks on this baby.?? I have used my finely tuned ear on scooters, and I am usually very close. But, I want it to be dead on. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
The engine you are refering to (271 HP engine) would have had solid lifters and a Holley 4-bbl. Is your's solid lifter? They idled at around 1,000 RPM, were pretty wild cams.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
A note on your Cobra valve covers. They were a common aftermarket add on.
The ones I always see are black crinkle finished powder coated. You can get them with the Ford logo, Mustang logo and Cobra logo.
You intake should read Cobra right by the thermostat housing.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
cool 48
Senior User
Well, that seals the deal. I have a 271 hp engine. Tha tis very cool to know that. I know it has alot of power for a 289 , but wasn'r sure. Now I am. Thanks guys. ,

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Ford Motorsports sold the parts over the counter, to be sure yours is an original '65-'67 HiPo engine (which didn't come with Cobra valve covers) you would need to check the for specific features.

Check it out here:

http://www.hipomustang.com/images/hipoeng/

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
I would pull the valve cover and see if it has screw in studs.
A friend of mine had a 289 Hipo and it was a running sob.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 AM
cool 48
Senior User
I think I'm gonna do that. My timing marks are under a few coats of paint. I'm gonna crank the ol girl up and lay a sanding sponge on the edge to clean it up. The dampner doesn't have a tab showing marks on it. In other words, I thought there was a steel plate bolted to the engine with marks on it. The you line up the marks on the dampner. It's a pain in the butt to dissassembel number one rocker,and turn engine by hand to find tdc, but I guess that is the only way..huh?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
The tab just bolts on if I remember correctly, on two of the timing cover bolts. The dampener has a slot across it at TDC. You can find TDC very accurately by taking an old spark plug, knocking apart the ceramic completely, so you just have a shell. Put a 3/8 or 7/8 bolt in it with a smooth, round end and a short nut (tight). The end of the bolt should stick out a minimum amount. Screw this into #1. With all plugs out of the engine, turn the crank SLOWLY BY HAND until #1 piston hits the bolt. Mark dampener next to your stationery mark (on timing cover or whatever). Now turn the crank the other direction until it hits again. Mark. Now measure between marks on dampener, and find the point halfway between. That's TDC.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
cool 48
Senior User
I'm sorry albuq, I guess I didn't say it right. I have done what you are talking about before on my old Super Sport. What I was refering to , is my timing mark plate or bolt is gone. No where to be found. I'm gonna sand the balancer and find my mark. But I guess I need to find a pointer that screws into the front of the engine. I wonder why folks decide to remove that? Maybe shave that extra second off the 1/4 mile? haha

Old 03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cool 48
I'm sorry albuq, I guess I didn't say it right. I have done what you are talking about before on my old Super Sport. What I was refering to , is my timing mark plate or bolt is gone. No where to be found. I'm gonna sand the balancer and find my mark. But I guess I need to find a pointer that screws into the front of the engine. I wonder why folks decide to remove that? Maybe shave that extra second off the 1/4 mile? haha
Check the boneyards for the plate, they also sell chrome ones for that extra 1/2 second in the 1/4