6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Oil filter question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
wolfeyes89
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter question.

Hey guys I just took the plunge and ordered that new Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 diesel oil. And just wanted to ask what oil and fuel filters some of you that are using this oil are using. I was thinking of just getting some motercraft filters would they be fine, or should I try and find the Mobil performance filters for the super duty?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 synthetic oil too; I'm sticking with the Motorcraft filter.

The filter and assy are a Parker Racor design; hard to find better. There are some other branded filters reported to be actual Racor but there have also been some other brand filters reported with problems. Searching the forum (include the 6.0 forum since it is the same oil filter) will give you enough reading to stay up all night.

I figure after paying the dollars for the Mobil Delvac there is no point buying anything else filter wise to save a buck. Your question seems to be is there anything better (not cheaper) and to that I don't think you can do better than the Motorcraft filter.

Bob

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Sayonara
Senior User
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
I'm running the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 synthetic oil too; I'm sticking with the Motorcraft filter.

The filter and assy are a Parker Racor design; hard to find better. There are some other branded filters reported to be actual Racor but there have also been some other brand filters reported with problems. Searching the forum (include the 6.0 forum since it is the same oil filter) will give you enough reading to stay up all night.

I figure after paying the dollars for the Mobil Delvac there is no point buying anything else filter wise to save a buck. Your question seems to be is there anything better (not cheaper) and to that I don't think you can do better than the Motorcraft filter.

Bob
What is that costing you per oil change. I think i will start that at my 15k mile change.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Delvac 1 ESP is not a cheap oil change and it is still fairly difficult to find in stock. I saw the Delvac at a truck stop that I fuel at and it was $30 for the gallon. I also checked into the new Motorcraft 5W-40 CJ-4 and it was $40 for the 5 qt. jug at the dealer. A few forum members have purchased the Delvac online from AVLubricants. Cost is $118 plus shipping for 4 gallons.

Heres a link...

http://avlube.com/fonfacsizcol.html

I also agree with bnmccoy about staying with Motorcraft or a known Racor made filter.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
jshumadine
Junior User
I was just at Costco and they had a box of Shell Rotella 15W40 CJ-4 (3 gallons = 12 quarts) for $27.50. Figure 15 quarts would be about $35-$40 plus a filter for about $15-$20. This in NOT synthetic oil.

I was at a Pennzoil place earlier in the week and they gave me a printed estimate for $98 for 15W40. He said it was probably CJ-4 but when I went to the Pennzoil web site, I didn't see a 15W40 that was CJ-4 rated so I'm not going to use them. I figure the max to change yourself is $60 when not using synthetic. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
wolfeyes89
Junior User
I'm not going for a cheap oil change, due to the fact that the synthetic 5w-40 will let me use the truck at all temps (quick starts when needed ), which is perfect seeing as how I live in the city and sometimes I cant drive it for more than 5 miles, but I do do a a lot of highway driving so that would be a plus also. I also just checked the oil the dealer put in my truck and it is black as tar after only around 3300 miles :O. So in a way I feel that the oil change will pay for itself over time. It seems like I will be sticking with Motercraft then. I just have one question, did you get two of the same fuel filters? I am a bit confused because the Motercraft website shows two fuel filters but the manual just says to get two: FD-4604's. Thnx a lot for the replies guys.

One more thing if you guys want the Delvac ESP 5w-40 dont go looking around for it, I went too: Nappa, Pep Boys, Autozone, and none of them have it. The Nappa guys said they werent restocking, so did auto zone, and pep boys told me that they only carried the 15w which is weird becuase I called Mobil to see where to fine the oil and they told me all these retailers. So all in all I think the easy thing to do is order it, but if you want an excuse to drive around the city go for it .

Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
The fuel filters come in a kit that contains both filters. There is a misprint in the manual and the fuel filter kit you need is Motorcraft FD-4609. Racor is the OEM for the Motorcraft fuel filter and the part number is PF5550.

As for the oil being black at 3300 mi, that is normal. Switching the syn is not going to change that.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
SaharaF350
Senior User
Please be careful before ripping your fuel filters out. There are 2 different versions of the fuel filters, 2 almost identical sized filters, and the other is one small the other big.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

I paid $102 and some change before tax, $111 and change with tax at local Mobil Oil distributor for one case or four gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 synthetic oil.

I buy the Motorcraft oil filter at Wal*Mart for $17.96 w/o tax.

I buy Motorcraft fuel filters at O'Reiley <sp?> Auto Parts.

Bob

Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

I did find Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 at the lubrication center of a Pilot truck stop but it was not the Delvac 1 ESP 5W40; therefore it was not CJ rated. Need to check it is the ESP version. BTW, it was $28.?? and the bottle was dusty as could be .

Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM
wolfeyes89
Junior User
Oo thanks for the fuel filter replies I would have messed up bad. I tried everywhere to find this oil and no luck. Are there any Mobil Dist centers near LA? I did a google map search and couldn't locate any.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:52 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wolfeyes89
Oo thanks for the fuel filter replies I would have messed up bad. I tried everywhere to find this oil and no luck. Are there any Mobil Dist centers near LA? I did a google map search and couldn't locate any.
You can use the following like to find your closest Mobil distributor...

http://www.host.exxonmobil.com/chann..._directory.jsp