Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front End grinding/knocking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Tazzmann
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End grinding/knocking?

I'm having problems with a front end grinding, knocking noise. Its started doing sence having to use 4wd during the winter months. Ive checked the hubs to make sure theyre disengaged. I also checked my shocks, and front end componets for anything obvious.

The grinding seems to be from the front driver side wheel. Its on and off doing it, usually a bump or so will bring it on. The front brakes were recently done with new rotors so it dosent look to be brake related?

Thanks as allways for the help!!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you checked the wheel bearings? Could also be leaf spring bushings possibly.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also check your swaybar link ends. You can't move them but look close at the rubber bushings. See if there is split rubber in them. You can also take them off and tie up the swaybar, then drive around and see if it still does this. I changed mine a while back because it would clunk when I hit a bump.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I thought of the swaybar too, but didn't think it would be able to be heard from inside unless the bushings were really, really hosed. Mine are worn I know but I can't hear anything while driving the truck.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazzmann
...The grinding seems to be from the front driver side wheel. Its on and off doing it, usually a bump or so will bring it on.
just did a front wheel bearing/hub assembly that had the same symptoms. hope it's something cheaper.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I thought of the swaybar too, but didn't think it would be able to be heard from inside unless the bushings were really, really hosed. Mine are worn I know but I can't hear anything while driving the truck.
Mine sounded like something hitting on the floor board when passing over bump.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

Ball joints maybe?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
tbirdage
Senior User
I just recently solved this exact problem. It sounded like I was riding on rumble strips and I'd engage 4X4 and it would go away. Hit a bump and it started back. There is a needle bearing inside your "NON-serviceable" hub assembly that your stub axle rides in. Pull your hub assemblies off, knock the needle bearing out and go get one for each side from NAPA (Part number B2110) for $12. Do both sides and grease them every 60-80K. You should probably change the large yellow o-rings on your hub assemblies. Ford has them for $5.00 each

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Tazzmann
Junior User
Wow guys thanks for the fast responses!!!

Ill tear into those bearings this weekend then, because the sound is very annoying... thanks for including the part number on those as well, having to search for this stuff can be painful.

Definitly not the ball joints, had those all redone about 4k miles ago.

Thanks again!!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 PM
engineer58
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tbirdage
I just recently solved this exact problem. It sounded like I was riding on rumble strips and I'd engage 4X4 and it would go away. Hit a bump and it started back. There is a needle bearing inside your "NON-serviceable" hub assembly that your stub axle rides in. Pull your hub assemblies off, knock the needle bearing out and go get one for each side from NAPA (Part number B2110) for $12. Do both sides and grease them every 60-80K. You should probably change the large yellow o-rings on your hub assemblies. Ford has them for $5.00 each
I had this same exact problem, don't let it go too long or it will wipe out the bearing surface on the stub axle, and you have to buy the hole axle inner and outer not cheap! My surfaces were worn badly and I had a friend build up the area with a TIG welder and then I machined them back to size. Not a fun or cheap job once it gets to this point. Good luck with whatever you find!

99.5' F-250SD 7.3, 6637 filter,50hp hypertech program, 4"MBRP Turbo
Back exhaust

Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Tazzmann
Junior User
ok I got the new needle bearings in, and the problem still is happening. I'm at a lost again. The knocking/rattling noise i can hear happens when ideling occasionally. The noise also happens when turning or changing lanes to the left, but goes away when going right.

Any more suggestions will be great!!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
tbirdage
Senior User
Did you check for play in the wheel bearings? Jack the truck up, wheels still on. I use a prybar and stick it thru a hole in the wheel and pry against the center of the hub. Gently pry on and off feeling for play. Sounds like one of them are going out. Sorry the needle bearings didn't fix it. Did you do both sides? When I did mine it sounded like the left side was the bad one, but actually ended up being the right

Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 AM
12 pointer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tazzmann
ok I got the new needle bearings in, and the problem still is happening. I'm at a lost again. The knocking/rattling noise i can hear happens when ideling occasionally. The noise also happens when turning or changing lanes to the left, but goes away when going right.

Any more suggestions will be great!!
If it changes as you give and take pressure on the wheels by turning, it's the wheel bearing.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Tazzmann
Junior User
I'm thinking it isent the wheel bearings because the sound, and what i can feel is occasional and happens when im at a stop light, or when the truck is ideling. Also on my way into work today i noticed it also happens when i accelerate, when i let of the gas is go away? I imagine a wheel bearing would be all the time??

For the wheel bearing i did check them for play and to see if they were loose and they are still very tight, no noticble play at all.

So I'm not sure to say the least.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
RobertJohn
Elder User
Be sure to post what you find...that way we'll know and may be able to help someone with a similar problem..
Good luck..

Quick Reply: Front End grinding/knocking?