1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

60 F100 - dash gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60 F100 - dash gauges

What have you all done to update your dash gauges on your 60 pickups?

Did anyone find a conversion template out there, or has everyone had to build theirs?

If you had to build, what did you do to make it work out, and what, if anything, would you have done differently?

I thought I had run across a post on here in the past about the back panel being a direct fit for modern gauges, but I cannot find the post back.

All info is appreciated.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are a few options out there for you.

Roddoors offers a replacement dash cluster for aftermarket gauges. also saw a few other replacement dashes from other vendors, can't recall who they were though. i think Dakota Digital offers a replacement panel c/w digital gauges for these trucks.

or you can make your own as i did. i took a piece of 1/4" aluminum, a spare housing, cut the inside of the panel out and cut the aluminum to fit. then cut holes for the aftermarket gauges ( i used Autometer, nice gauges and lots of different styles to choose from) milled some slots in the panel for a custom look and bolted everything togather. turned out fairly nice.

there are some aftermarket packages out there for these trucks or you can go the custome route.

rgds
Mike

Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Check out Walston's gallery;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=19969

He managed to put together a great looking gauge package
Bobby

Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
59 shorty
Senior User
Thumbs up nice dash!

I to am near this point on my 59 and am thinking along the same lines.Maybe we can talk Mcdon and Walston into posting more details and pics. of the actual building of their dashes.I thought Walston posted some details when he made his dash but I have not found them if he did. The pics in his gallary are outstanding but I want to see how the front face of the dash was treated to accept the the instument cluster.If I can do something close to that good looking I would be on cloud 9 if you know what I mean. Mark

Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
I can see where I may have to go with home made.
I am not very artistic, but Dakota's was around $600.
For that kind of $ I think I can try my artistic side.

I expect the front panel was a cut-n-weld onto the top lip.
One of these days I am going to have to put some time behind the welders mask and learn that part of the trade also.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Oscar,

another thought is to find some late model gauges that will fit your openings. I did that for my 49 by using gauges from a early 90's GM van;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=19829

I can't remember what the original 60 cluster looks like (its been alot of years since I drove one) but maybe you could find something that could be adapted

Bobby

Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
bememe
Senior User
I went with the Dakota Digital. One reason is that if you price new guages you will spend close to $600.00 on good quality stuff. Normally I'm not a huge fan of digital but in this truck I like it. See gallery for pix.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 59 shorty
I to am near this point on my 59 and am thinking along the same lines.Maybe we can talk Mcdon and Walston into posting more details and pics. of the actual building of their dashes.I thought Walston posted some details when he made his dash but I have not found them if he did. The pics in his gallary are outstanding but I want to see how the front face of the dash was treated to accept the the instument cluster.If I can do something close to that good looking I would be on cloud 9 if you know what I mean. Mark
I made no mods to the dash. I replaced the entire inside of the bezel with 16 gauge and drilled new holes. The dash is original.

Let me know other details you are looking for.

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
59 shorty
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by Walston
I made no mods to the dash. I replaced the entire inside of the bezel with 16 gauge and drilled new holes. The dash is original.

Let me know other details you are looking for.
Well........ as a matter of fact..........I,m assuming you removed as much of the flat face of the bezel as needed and formed a new peice out of the 16gage but how did you marry them togeather? some very carefull welding and blending and file work along the edges? Your bezel looks like it came off the assembly line that way and I,D like mine to look as nice. thanks Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 59 shorty
Your bezel looks like it came off the assembly line that way
Thanks, that's what I wanted it to look like.

No mods to the dash, only to the bezel. Cut out the holes and crosses. Weld in a flat piece of 16 gauge steel. Go slow so you don't warp the bezel. Grind smooth and spray with build up primer (maybe several coats) and hand sand. Cut new holes, I used a wood template. Paint.

If you are not a welded, Filling in the bezel with steel would likely not cost too mush at a body shop. You can probably drill the holes.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Here is an after market bezel for 57-60. It bolts over the existing bezel.

http://www.dolphingauges.com/ford%20...%20pg%202.html

Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the details thats what I needed. I have two bezels so I have a backup just in case. Sounds like patience is the key and I have plenty of that and enough welding skills to give it a try. Mark

Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM
hotrod66_57
Freshman User
This looks like its the same route i'll be taking soon with my 57. I was toying with the idea of using the existing holes and just finding really really tiny gauges but this seems like a much better plan. I don't have the luxury of an extra bezel however so i'd best hope for a steady hand.

Thats a very fine example Walston!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
bememe
Senior User
Hey hotrod, If it's the same as a 60 bezel I can hook you up with a spare if you have any problems. Go for it!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
hotrod66_57
Freshman User
They look to be the same and you having an extra one at hand will definatly ease my nerves haha. Thank Bememe

Quick Reply: 60 F100 - dash gauges