1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a PSD...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
adbscu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a PSD...

Here is the problem:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

My fiancé and me have a 05 F150 CC Lariat 4x4 rated at around 8,200Lbs with which we tow a 4100lbs horse trailer (21ft long, 4h slant BP all- aluminum).

<o></o>

Usually we trailer two horses: mine, a 1,400lbs draft horse that will eventually get to 1,700-1,800lbs in a few years, and one of hers(she has to have two obviously…) which are around 1,100lbs each.

So our usual load would be around 7000-7300 (ounce mine is fully grown) or 8,200-8,500 in the case we carry three of them (most likely in emergency situations…like fires or so)

<o></o>

The F150 so far has been doing well (especially with the brake controller and good trailer brakes) but it kind of lacks a little going up-hill on non-straight roads(lots of braking/acceleration), but also live cargo is a little different so we are a little hesitant to tow so close to the limit, hence we were thinking about a used PSD since the F150 comes out of warranty this September (no problems so far with it) or we might wait a little longer…don’t know yet for sure

<o></o>

Other info:

<o></o>

The truck would be used as a commute vehicle around San Jose, CA (5 mile round trip for me) so we were leaning on a short bed SRW

<o></o>

Eventually (2-3year out) it will became a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> vehicle for towing and trips to HD and so on (planning of getting a Ford Flex, she will only own Fords…)

<o></o>

We don’t tow everyday, but a few times a month, but sometimes over very steep grades: so maybe a V10 might do it or perhaps the new F150 with a 6spd-auto and a more powerful engine (revised 5.4, BOSS or Diesel?)

<o></o>

What do you guys think? Eventually whatever we get I would like it to last 7-10 years, which might make me a little hesitant about getting an older PSD for emission(especially in California)

<o></o>

Our budget so far is between $20-30K: possibly Lariat or King Ranch (she likes the leather/htd seats)

<o></o>

thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
jaho1979
New User
If you tow that much on a regular basis, I would go with a 3/4 ton for sure, not another half ton.

Diesel or V-10 is up to you, I would go diesel for towing though, even though its a ton more $$ up front.
Originally Posted by adbscu
Here is the problem:

fficeffice" /><O></O>

My fiancé and me have a 05 F150 CC Lariat 4x4 rated at around 8,200Lbs with which we tow a 4100lbs horse trailer (21ft long, 4h slant BP all- aluminum).

<O></O>

Usually we trailer two horses: mine, a 1,400lbs draft horse that will eventually get to 1,700-1,800lbs in a few years, and one of hers(she has to have two obviously…) which are around 1,100lbs each.

So our usual load would be around 7000-7300 (ounce mine is fully grown) or 8,200-8,500 in the case we carry three of them (most likely in emergency situations…like fires or so)

<O></O>

The F150 so far has been doing well (especially with the brake controller and good trailer brakes) but it kind of lacks a little going up-hill on non-straight roads(lots of braking/acceleration), but also live cargo is a little different so we are a little hesitant to tow so close to the limit, hence we were thinking about a used PSD since the F150 comes out of warranty this September (no problems so far with it) or we might wait a little longer…don’t know yet for sure

<O></O>

Other info:

<O></O>

The truck would be used as a commute vehicle around San Jose, CA (5 mile round trip for me) so we were leaning on a short bed SRW

<O></O>

Eventually (2-3year out) it will became a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> vehicle for towing and trips to HD and so on (planning of getting a Ford Flex, she will only own Fords…)

<O></O>

We don’t tow everyday, but a few times a month, but sometimes over very steep grades: so maybe a V10 might do it or perhaps the new F150 with a 6spd-auto and a more powerful engine (revised 5.4, BOSS or Diesel?)

<O></O>

What do you guys think? Eventually whatever we get I would like it to last 7-10 years, which might make me a little hesitant about getting an older PSD for emission(especially in California)

<O></O>

Our budget so far is between $20-30K: possibly Lariat or King Ranch (she likes the leather/htd seats)

<O></O>

thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 PM
redford
Received 1,596 Likes on 933 Posts
I also tow on a regular basis, with the 5.4L. My average load is 8000 pounds. My truck does great at 8000, even with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears.

That is the difference between an F-150 and an F-250. No, I'm not going to win any drag races, but I'm also not a road hazard.

An F-250 or an F-350 with a V-10 or PSD would be awesome. Drive both and ask questions before you buy.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
highland61
Senior User
Your budget is the major restriction if you want the bells and whistles. Either way, a F250/F350 is your ideal vehicle.

Option 1) go with a 1999-2003 7.3L, reliable, tows well and you can get all the bells and whistles. I don't know anything about California emissions, but read somewhere that a law had passed that DPF's will be required on any and all diesels (new or used) in their community.
Option 2) go with new or relatively new V10. reliable, tows well, but you won't get all the goodies if new. You can get realtively close though.

I'd go option 2, especially with looming emissions laws floating around.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
Seeing as you wont be driving much (5 mile commute) I would just get a v10. I have a
Powerstroke dually that i used to drive 100 miles a day. Now it gets driven inly when needed due to price of diesel.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
adbscu
Senior User
the truck will obviosly be used i was leaning more on a 04-06 F250 Diesel: there are a few here around that price range, it would just be a better of getting them inspected and so on. I guess a lot of people that got these trucks for show now are dumping them here in the bay area since Diesel is $3.80...so there is quite a good supply, altough very few V10...(somethign like these
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/586031298.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/580172190.html (altough long bed)

As for the 7.3L do you guess think it would create problems emission wise down the road(5yrs+ from now)? Also we would consider purchasing some kind of extended warranty(after having shopped around quite a bit): any ideas?
what would you guys consider the max amount of miles:anything below 100K?

thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
maadman
Senior User
Welcome to FTE both Adbscu and also Jaho1979. You will find a ton of information as well as a few opinions here. I myself have a F-350 with the 7.3 and couldn't be happier with it, it tows so much easier than my old F-150 w/5.4. Now let me suggest another option to you. If you like your current truck you might consider putting different gears in the differentials to get the performance you need in the hills. This would be far cheaper than getting a new truck and you stated that it may only be an emergency situation where you would be pulling at max GVRW.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
adbscu
Senior User
What would be the feasibility/price of doing so? So maybe putting a 4.10 or 4.30?

My only concerns would be braking/sway as a HD would be better equipped….

so many options…..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
maadman
Senior User
Did some searching in the forums and found this web site..www.ringpinion.com. It looks like around $225 for gears but that doesn't include any labor, freight etc. A phone call might get you the answers you need. Good luck and keep us advised.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
maadman
Senior User
As far as the swaying is concerned, you can add an anti-sway bar kit to your trailer and hitch (I don't have any idea as to cost) and you should be able to find out here in FTE as to beefing up your brake system.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
If you are mostly happy with the F150 it might be best to do gears and keep it. If you step up to 4:30 gears I think you'll be pretty happy with the improvement. Your probably looking a $1,000-$1,500 to do both axles. Your mileage towing might improve, and your town mileage will suffer just a little bit. I don't think braking is a problem. Just keep your trailer brakes in good shape and adjusted.

Not good for a PSD, but I do the same thing and get away with it. Just give it a workout whenever you can to keep the turbo spinning and clean.

Does she have a sister?

</OWe don’t tow everyday, but a few times a month, but sometimes over very steep grades: so maybe a V10 might do it or perhaps the new F150 with a 6spd-auto and a more powerful engine (revised 5.4, BOSS or Diesel?)
If you do decide to trade, I believe you'll be much happier with the superduty. But you can get some work out of what you have now for not too much money. Diesel is way high right now, but who knows what the future holds. Unfortunately when the big three all release half ton diesels I'm afraid demand will increase and the price is going to stay high.

Currently there are no inspections for personal diesel motors in CA. In 2010 they are starting emissions testing for diesel vehicles under 8,500 GVW. So a diesel F150 would require bi-annual testing, while an F250 or higher would not. I don't anticipate a mandatory retro-fit of DPF for personal vehicles. Dang, that would suck. But anything could happen. Nothing like that has been announced.

In the short term, I vote for keeping a vehicle that you are happy with.

Bill