6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 6.0 L Diesel engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
danocross
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary, you can search a previous post by me, one of the posters put up an incredible post on how the fuel gauge can default after fillups. Check it out. Mine did what he described but then failed in many other ways. After replacing the sensor and adding Techron several times, they finally replaced the instrument cluster and everything seems fine, but only 1000 miles into it. Good luck to you, hang in there.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Gary A.
Freshman User
Update on fix for my engine oil leak. Transmission was pulled and Rear Cover Gasket was replaced with an updated gasket (an improvement so they say). When the mechanics go into that area they also replace the rear main seal even though it was not leaking. It is their procedure. Dye was added and truck was road tested. I will road test in the next two days by putting 500 miles on the truck.
Another engine oil leak that I told them about, but they forgot to do is the bolt on the front of the engine (passenger side) just above the oil pan that holds a ground clamp/strap. I'm going to fix that myself as they told me it needed to be taken out and re-sealed. Has anyone had that oil leak???? Gary A.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Inzax
New User
Bed Plate Leak and Oil Pump Leak

Bought an 05 F250 10 months ago with 4800 miles on it. Mint condition no repairs needed. The truck now has 14K. During oil change yesterday, dealer informed I had a head gasket leak and an oil pump leak. I have no spots on the driveway. I crawled under the truck from the front on my back. In the middle of the engine compartment looking up, I can see the oil pump leak and oil residue. To the left of that I see what I would call the bed plate. It appears to have a leak toward the front of the truck on the right side.

My understanding of the head gasket area would suggest a slim chance that it would leak oil due to relatively low pressure.

I have an appointment to deal with the issue. Is there a reason for these leaks? Is there something I am doing? The truck is allowed to warm up in cold weather. I use the block heater. I dont beat the engine to death, keeping the turbo PSI well out of the red. I just drive the thing. I haul loads of wood, have never pulled a trailer. I am just a little surprised I have two leaks with such low stress use.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Gary A.
Freshman User
Inzax, I do not believe you are doing anything wrong. I have only 11,000 on a 2006 6.0L diesel. I have been to the dealer many times for oil leaks. Mine started leaking at 1,100 miles and I bought it new!! I think (knock on wood) they have got all of them now. I also do not pull a trailer, or abuse the truck in anyway. Oil leaks are just something that happen to a lot of owners of 6.0 L's from what I have read.
Are you under warranty? 100$ Deductible?
Let me know what the dealer does to your truck. I want to keep on this subject. It really has bugged me a lot. I crawl under my truck each week with a spot light and UV light. There is dye in my oil in case it starts leaking again. Gary A.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Inzax
New User
Originally Posted by Gary A.
Inzax, I do not believe you are doing anything wrong. I have only 11,000 on a 2006 6.0L diesel. I have been to the dealer many times for oil leaks. Mine started leaking at 1,100 miles and I bought it new!! I think (knock on wood) they have got all of them now. I also do not pull a trailer, or abuse the truck in anyway. Oil leaks are just something that happen to a lot of owners of 6.0 L's from what I have read.
Are you under warranty? 100$ Deductible?
Let me know what the dealer does to your truck. I want to keep on this subject. It really has bugged me a lot. I crawl under my truck each week with a spot light and UV light. There is dye in my oil in case it starts leaking again. Gary A.
Thanks Gary. I will keep the board posted on the results. The dealer stated it was under the 5yr/100k warranty, which it is. I have no doubt they will honor the request. The leak is obvious so I am sure they will do the work. I do wonder if they will have to pull the engine to do the job.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Inzax
New User
Well took the truck in yesterday. I was informed that the head gasket and oil pump were not leaking and their own oil change guy was wrong. The oil line to the turbo was the cause of the leak. They changed the line and I was out of the shop by the end of the day. I checked the oil pump at work, cleaned it up of all residual oil. I drove home 12 miles, checked the pump again. Guess what?

Yup, it is leaking. Called the customer service guy I was dealing with informed him that I did not think it was residual oil from the previous leak and that the oil pump indeed did appear to be leaking. We agreed I would watch it for the next couple of days. If the oil keeps appearing (which it will) they will take it in Monday and check out the leak. I will not have to pay another deductible.

I was pretty amazed. I can find the leak but they can not?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Inzax
New User
Second trip for oil leak. They said it was "oil presure regulator" that was the source of the leak. We will see if this fix takes.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Some fuel gauge details:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 550pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=733 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 550pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 26806" width=733><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 550pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=733 height=17>https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/510394-gas-guage.html</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
Inzax and Gary A, pulling a trailer or camper is in no way considered beating a truck, that is what they are made to do.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Jayc
Senior User
Red face

Took truck in for an oil change on Monday. They found an oil leak. Mechanic showed me the oil on bottom of engine. To fix the seal they have to take the engine out!!! Oh my God! Does anyone know what seal that would be? Hoping to get it back today. I just pray they can get it all back together right. Fortunately all I have to pay is the $100 deductible.
Had transmission replaced last summer. When they took out the engine they found that an oil cooler had not been bolted down when they replaced the transmission. It had rubbed on something and also has to be replaced. They think parts will arrive today. They say I will not have to pay for the cooler either.
Mentioned that steering wheel shuddered when I hit a bump. Mechanic says a shock absorber type piece betwee the front wheels was not working. $250 to replace. It is not actually the shocks but something similar.
My $80.00 oil change is now going to cost about $500.00!
Dealership gave me a car to drive and have been nice about everything.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
MeyerzF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jayc
Mentioned that steering wheel shuddered when I hit a bump. Mechanic says a shock absorber type piece betwee the front wheels was not working. $250 to replace. It is not actually the shocks but something similar.
My $80.00 oil change is now going to cost about $500.00!
Dealership gave me a car to drive and have been nice about everything.
The steering stabilizer is $35. I did it myself in the driveway.

A little DIY will saves you lots of cash......

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Inzax
New User
Originally Posted by Inzax
Inzax and Gary A, pulling a trailer or camper is in no way considered beating a truck, that is what they are made to do<!-- KEN: 1-13-2007: show 300x250 ad-block to non-Club FTE users in the 1st post of every page --><!-- / Ken, end of hack -->.
Pulling a trailer sometimes adds extra stress to the transmission and engine. I agree it is made to do it. I was trying to point out the very low stress use.

Coincidently, the oil leak is still there. Looks like a third trip to the dealer for the same leak.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
MeyerzF350
Senior User
Next week, I have my 4th appointment for this F**** oil leak issue.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Inzax
New User
Originally Posted by MeyerzF350
Next week, I have my 4th appointment for this F**** oil leak issue.

Race ya....first one to 10 trips wins.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 AM
dc3655
Elder User
It's annoying to see how many of these oil leaks go unresolved. You'd think that with the use of dye that they'd be able to find the problem immediately and fix it. I wonder if this is the dealerships not wanting to lift cabs and take the motors out to fix things like the bedplate or rear main seal? Anyways, this is why I actually tipped my diesel tech $150 at the dealership just for getting it right the first time because I didn't want repeated visits.....not to mention that he installed ARP headstuds for me while the motor was out! Just find a good dealership with a really good diesel tech and the oil leak will be solved.

MeyerzF350, where in SoCal are you? If you need a good dealership to go to, let me know.

Quick Reply: 2006 6.0 L Diesel engine oil leak