Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad Injector Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad Injector Please Help

So for awhile now i have had a #8 injector code. Recently when i start the truck in the morning I have a very rough idel and alot of white smoke. Once I start driving the idel smooths out and the smoke stops right away. This morning I started the truck with tons of smoke and it barely wanted to move. As i was driving the smoke did not stop untill it was almost at operating temp and the idel smoothed out. Heres the biggest problem I can't afford 8 new injectors, i cant afford 8 re-maned injectors. Is it absolutley stupid to fix or replace just the one injector??? And have I done other damage to my motor by having this problem?

AS always thanks for the help!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think it would hurt to replace just one injector, but as you already know, it is recommended to replace all 8 if feasible. Some have just replaced one bank of injectors at a time and have done the rest at a later date.

As far as harm done to your engine: Maybe a trace amount of fuel will show up in an oil annaylisis. This is due to such a rich condition of fuel and the fact that it is not getting burnt durring combustion when the number 8 cylinder is not up to temp. just do an oil change when you replace the injector.

What suprises me is that it does not behave as if it is a bad injector when the truck is up to temp. The only thing that I can think of is that something may be expanding within the injector that stops the smoking and cleans the idle up at operating temps. From all the reading that I have done on hear, if it is bad, it will probably be bad across all temperature conditions.

Just brainstorming here. Have you lost any coolant. Is there any coolant coming out of the exhuaust. Is there any coolant in the oil? (milky).

Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
pullinair
Elder User
BTW, make sure you are not running the bully dog in the cold temps until the truck is up too temp. my truck tends to smoke more (white) when I forget to start the truck in stock mode. The bully dog is way to aggressive in my opinion to run on a cold engine. this is from past experience. For that matter, I would not run any programmer until the truck is up to op temps. I hate doing it but its better for the engine.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I replaced my #7 injector at 200K miles, all the rest checked out fine. I am at 260K now.

Did you have your CPS recall done? if so I posted a link in someone elses thread about the new CPS giving false #8 injector codes.
hold one Ill find the link.....

Im back here it is. https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...nsor-189509%2F

Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
If you are really strapped for cash you could try removing the valve covers and retorquing the injectors.
I doubt it will fix it, but if you don't have the money, then it's a 50/50 chance.
They tend to loosen up over time.
120 inch pounds on the injectors.
And also while you are in there, retorque the rocker arm pedastals to 20 foot pounds.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Tim,
My oil looks good and i am not loseing any coolant any worries of a bad head or gaskets isnt a worry. the smoke really dosnt have any smell to it besides diesel. Interesting thing about the bully dog you mentioned is that that would make sense on the account that i have not tried de-tuning it. I thought of that first thing this morning, but didnt have a chance to "return to stock"

Brandon,
If you look back in previous threads that i have posted i mentioned that i had never had any problems with my truck until they replaced the old CPS. But if that is the case would it cause these syndromes?

Dan,
Thanks for the specs defenitly worth a shot!!!

thanks guys!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
I replaced one on mine when i was told #7 was bad. After that i found a good deal on 8 ford reman injectors. My #4 went bad shortly after so i replaced all other 7 injectors. I will be putting up that last injector on Ebay soon. If money is real tight right now I can ship you mine and buy me one later or? I'm in socal.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Just an FYI, but someone had 8 injectors listed in the Classifieds for $60.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by 8tsixt
If money is real tight right now I can ship you mine and buy me one later or? I'm in socal.
Incredibly generous offer (and trusting, too)

Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

yeah, but that seems to be the spirit of this forum.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
So for awhile now i have had a #8 injector code. Recently when i start the truck in the morning I have a very rough idel and alot of white smoke. Once I start driving the idel smooths out and the smoke stops right away. This morning I started the truck with tons of smoke and it barely wanted to move. As i was driving the smoke did not stop untill it was almost at operating temp and the idel smoothed out. Heres the biggest problem I can't afford 8 new injectors, i cant afford 8 re-maned injectors. Is it absolutley stupid to fix or replace just the one injector??? And have I done other damage to my motor by having this problem?

AS always thanks for the help!!!
If you look back in previous threads that i have posted i mentioned that i had never had any problems with my truck until they replaced the old CPS. But if that is the case would it cause these syndromes?
I think Brandon nailed it. You're running the new grey recall cps, aren't you?

From the reading I've been doing it sounds like it is causing #8 injector code and miss, and perhaps a rash of other poor running problems. There's a long thread over at TDS about it, probably 7 or 8 guys with the same problem, from the sounds of it Ford is already aware of it. You can still buy the old black ones on E-bay, I 'd definitely give it a shot.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Did you have your CPS recall done? if so I posted a link in someone elses thread about the new CPS giving false #8 injector codes.
hold one Ill find the link.....

Im back here it is. https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...nsor-189509%2F
that was interesting

Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM
greedy737
Elder User
I got the blue one from Int. runs great, and got the gray one from Ford as a spare!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 8tsixt
I replaced one on mine when i was told #7 was bad. After that i found a good deal on 8 ford reman injectors. My #4 went bad shortly after so i replaced all other 7 injectors. I will be putting up that last injector on Ebay soon. If money is real tight right now I can ship you mine and buy me one later or? I'm in socal.
Thanks for the offer that is awsome!!! I can afford one injector but the more i read about this CPS thing i think im going to give that a shot first... Yall are so great I cant help but to give out a round of rep. points

EDIT:sorry i missed a couple of you on the rep. points it wont let me give out anymore... ill catch ya's another time!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Thanks for the offer that is awsome!!! I can afford one injector but the more i read about this CPS thing i think im going to give that a shot first... Yall are so great I cant help but to give out a round of rep. points

EDIT:sorry i missed a couple of you on the rep. points it wont let me give out anymore... ill catch ya's another time!!!
A bad CPS won't make smoke.
Save your money.
It will make it stutter erratically like burned out points on a gasser or simply just shut off for no apparent reason.
Or not start at all the next day, with zero smoke.

Quick Reply: Bad Injector Please Help