1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

86 ranger auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM
DMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 ranger auto to manual

I converted my 86 ranger 4x4 long bed with a 2.9 to a 5 speed. The swap went well untill the mounts on the frame didn't line up with the trans. I cut the mounts off moved them up no prob the holes were already in the frame. Went to put the front drive shaft in to long so the one from my donar truck 88 bronco 2 went right in. The rear drive shaft for the auto trans is 51'' long and is to short. ALL the drive shafts I find on the net for a long bed with 5 speed are 39'' how can that work? I dont get it.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Just have a DS made, thats what I use to do when fooling around with conversions. You have your measurements, also have a slip yoke instaled in case you need to strech it or compact it a touch. You would think the right size would be a dime a dozen, but having one made takes the hassle out of it. You can start with an existing DS and just have it lengthened or shortened to fit at a machine shop.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
to lengthen a propeller shaft look for a good lathe man. First you are to cut drive shaft in rear end, make centering adapter, and weld a pice of tube in. All parts must be mashined in lathe. Do all accuratly, else you will get vibration. Then look for mashine shop where there is ballancing tool for shafts and ballance it to zero. May be if your drive shaft is not ballanced you will not have vibration, but disballance kills UJs.
If you liek to drive fast I advice you to use dual shaft.

From other side, visit dana.com and see what driveshaft fits your truck. May be you will find necessery lenth shaft from other car/truck.
http://www2.dana.com/expert/
I think you will find you shaft...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
BSmitty
Elder User
The transmission you put in your truck was from an '88 BroncoII? The factory trans in an '86 would either be a Mitsubishi FM145 (likely) or a Toyo Kogyo TK5 (less likely). The trans from your BroncoII would either be a Mitsubishi FM146 (likely) or a Mazda M5OD R1 (equally likely). The early transmissions, FM145/TK5 were both different in length from each other, and also from the newer transmissions. The newer transmissions, IE the FM146 and M5OD R1 were interchangeable between them, so it doesn't really matter which one you've got for determining length. What year have you been looking for driveshafts to fit? Try looking for one to fit a truck equipped like yours, only in model years '88-'92, they would have had the transmission that you now have in your truck, same wheelbase, should be a piece of cake!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
DMAN
Senior User
I tried looking for a newer truck and there still to short. I don't get it. The longest one I found was 45'' the one I have is 51'' and its to short. I was going to have it made longer but the only place close to me about an hour away is closed for good. The only way I could have it done is send it away and its going to cost $150 to $200 with shipping. The only other thing I can think to do is go to my local steel shop and get a spacer made and bolt it between the drive shaft and the rear end. I dont know if this is going to cause the shakes or not.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
go to my local steel shop and get a spacer made and bolt it between the drive shaft and the rear end.

It was tested. I got rattel, vibration and noise....

Had to make new driveshaft.

It is not a ranger, it is aero. Tranny swap. 5st tranny is shorter.....

Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend

That is all. But ones more, try to use DANA expert web site to learn, what driveshaft from what vehicle mat fit your ranger. What UJs are used you know, how long tube must be? 54"?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
BSmitty
Elder User
It must call for a 2 piece driveshaft, and the parts you're finding are only part of it, or something like that. Are you searching salvage yards, or parts store books? See if anyone makes a replacement 1 piece driveshaft, I've heard of that for extended cabs, so why not regular cabs? Just a shot in the dark...

Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Look, he has AWD ranger, AWD tranny is longer then 2wd tranny, so he should look for driveshaft of 2wd ranger and short it a bit. Having lathe it is possible, but tp weld all together argon welding is required.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAN
I tried looking for a newer truck and there still to short. I don't get it. The longest one I found was 45'' the one I have is 51'' and its to short. I was going to have it made longer but the only place close to me about an hour away is closed for good. The only way I could have it done is send it away and its going to cost $150 to $200 with shipping. The only other thing I can think to do is go to my local steel shop and get a spacer made and bolt it between the drive shaft and the rear end. I dont know if this is going to cause the shakes or not.
$150 to $200 is too much? Ever see how much damage a broken ds can do? Is your gas tank inside the frame rails, right next to the shaft?

Spend the money where it matters. Driveshafts matter.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Well, brocken DS is very rare situation, but ones my UJ was bad and vibration killed tranny in hundred miles.

DS disballance kills trannies and axes... Tested..... unfortunatly :-(

Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
Well, brocken DS is very rare situation, but ones my UJ was bad and vibration killed tranny in hundred miles.

DS disballance kills trannies and axes... Tested..... unfortunatly :-(
Very rare UNLESS YOU CHEAP OUT AND TRY TO HALFASS WELD UP A SPACER or something other than a properly constructed welded with a real welder driveshaft from a manufacturer who knows what they are doing.

Yea, I know, I had a 1/4 inch bend in mine when I bought it. Pinion bearings went shortly after my new $180 shaft was installed.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
i did driveshaft of pices of Gaselle van shafts, becouse Gaselle is big, like E150 and its parts may easily pass 3.0 torque.
Stock triveshaft was made of aluminium fusion, and must be welded in lathe else centering may be wrong.
To weld made of steel shafts is easier.
I have 1-st pice made of steel, rear pice is made of aluminium.
It is not so difficult but there are some rules how to do it correctly to avoide damage.

Sow many sites about driveshafts.. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/shaft/diydriveshaft/
for example. But described ways are artisanal, not professional, these DSs not fot fast rides. Well, look for a lathe..... ore factory made driveshaft. Measure what a lenth you need first and give me UJs part numbers

Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM
DMAN
Senior User
I did not say $150 to $200 was to much money it wouldn't be if there was a place close that I could drive to and have it done. It would cost about $250 to $300 with shipping. What I would like to do is find a used drive shaft that would fit. I know that ford made rangers with the five speed and long bed I have seen them before. My problem is every junk yard I have called that has one tells me its 39" long if its for an 1986 and 45" long if its for a 88. This is a 114 inch wheel base truck and the 51" shaft that came off the auto trans doesn’t fit how can a 45" one thats out of the same style truck fit. Every one says there one piece and that truck does not call for a two piece.

Quick Reply: 86 ranger auto to manual