Sponsored by:

6.0l Excursion SEIC(high idle) mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
6.0l Excursion SEIC(high idle) mod

After looking around for a long while, and not really finding a really good post on this mod, I got around to giving it a try..

With a wiring diagram manual for my 04 X(and SD trucks) I had the confidence to go forward with this..My truck is an 04 with 03 engine..I don't know if this works on 05's..If you fry something don't come crying to me..

The manual showed the pin position on the PCM for the +12vt signal input..Just as i've read in the past, there was no wire in the harness or PCM connector for the input..I had to make one myself...

I pulled the driver's battery connections and cover..The SEIC input is in the rearmost PCM connector..The back of the connector will pry off easily with a slotted screwdriver after it's pulled from the PCM..Work it at each corner..

I used a small red spade connector to make the wire to PCM pin connection..I cut off the red insulation and gently crushed the round wire recepticle to make it a little oval shaped...The pin you are connecting to is rectangular..Then I trimmed the spade portion of the connector to match the width of the recepticle end...After that i soldered a small 20GA pigtail onto what was left of the spade of the connector...It isn't pretty, but it fits into the PCM connector and mates nicely with the pin in the PCM..

Now I had to get my makeshift pigtail into the connector...I used a small drill bit to go all the way through the connector and fish the pigtail out the back..Be carefull not to hit the other wires when drilling through..

Here's a good pic of the back of the harness for the pin location..The new wire is the blue one..

After I got it all in there I plugged back into the PCM and gave it a test by starting the truck..The first key cycle, no starter..Tried a second time and it started right up...I guess it was because of disconnecting the batteries..I tested by touching the pigtail to the + side of the battery...Engine rolled right up to 1200 rpm's just as I hoped..

Since it was working, I put a little glue in the hole I drilled into the connector for the wire..

control is from the dash from a new switch (plus a couple for future mods)

all works just fine....

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where did you get those switches? They are very clean looking. Nice write up on the high idle.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
You are the man dude. I have wanted to do this mod for some time and that is the instructions I have been looking for. Rep points for you.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Magilla_v6.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! That is on my list of things to do to my X.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

glad you guys like it...i never found a good post on this in the past 3 years..it's really not that hard to do...just takes some guts to throw 12vt at your PCM where it wasn't before...the switches are off the shelf from the local auto parts store..have fun with it..

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

UPDATE to add pics back that have disappeared from my original post.. I've since found that this works fine on 05's

Originally Posted by william_04_x
After looking around for a long while, and not really finding a really good post on this mod, I got around to giving it a try..

With a wiring diagram manual for my 04 X(and SD trucks) I had the confidence to go forward with this..My truck is an 04 with 03 engine..I don't know if this works on 05's..If you fry something don't come crying to me..

The manual showed the pin position on the PCM for the +12vt signal input..Just as i've read in the past, there was no wire in the harness or PCM connector for the input..I had to make one myself...

I pulled the driver's battery connections and cover..The SEIC input is in the rearmost PCM connector..The back of the connector will pry off easily with a slotted screwdriver after it's pulled from the PCM..Work it at each corner..

I used a small red spade connector to make the wire to PCM pin connection..I cut off the red insulation and gently crushed the round wire recepticle to make it a little oval shaped...The pin you are connecting to is rectangular..Then I trimmed the spade portion of the connector to match the width of the recepticle end...After that i soldered a small 20GA pigtail onto what was left of the spade of the connector...It isn't pretty, but it fits into the PCM connector and mates nicely with the pin in the PCM..

Now I had to get my makeshift pigtail into the connector...I used a small drill bit to go all the way through the connector and fish the pigtail out the back..Be careful not to hit the other wires when drilling through..

Here's a good pic of the back of the harness for the pin location..The new wire is the blue one..

After I got it all in there I plugged back into the PCM and gave it a test by starting the truck..The first key cycle, no starter..Tried a second time and it started right up...I guess it was because of disconnecting the batteries..I tested by touching the pigtail to the + side of the battery...Engine rolled right up to 1200 rpm's just as I hoped..

Since it was working, I put a little glue in the hole I drilled into the connector for the wire..

control is from the dash from a new switch (plus a couple for future mods)

all works just fine....

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Hey Willam are you going to made it down to the Phoenix race this year?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
BigRy
Elder User
Why is this different than the regular F250 Diesels and the Excursions?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Hey Willam are you going to made it down to the Phoenix race this year?
What Phoenix race?

Originally Posted by BigRy
Why is this different than the regular F250 Diesels and the Excursions?
6.0l Excursions don't have the signal wire in the cab to PCM harness..

Ford has different wiring harness' in X's (vs Super Duty trucks), as X's don't have PTO options.. Without a PTO they saw no necessity for the SEIC PCM signal wire, so that's how they were built..

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was cold this morning when I started the Ex. 38 degrees. I stated it and went back inot the house. After about 3-4 minutes I went back outside and the ex was idling fast. The tach showed about 1k rpm. When I put the brake on to switch to drive the idle went back to normal.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 AM
BigRy
Elder User
Same here in Tampa, it was 35* and I have a remote start when I came back out to the window heard the truck idling high. I know that the PCM adjusts the idle based on enviromental temps also.

William, Are you sure its different for our Excursions, I located both wires for the high idle mod under the dash of my excursion, I just havent done the High Idle Mod, because I am waiting to install my F650 dash panel.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's called warm-up idle. Any/every car/truck/suv in the past 10-20 years will do that. The high-idle mod puts it at about 1200rpm, and won't take 3 minutes of sitting idle in park to kick in.

Those are the same switches I got for mine. I got mine from radio-shack though. I like the different color lights, as mine are all red.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks William 04 X
looks like if a guy had weatherpack it would be good to go. Am I to assume that the blue wire in your pictures was installed by you and not a OEM wire?
One more thing where did you get those switches?
Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by BigRy
Same here in Tampa, it was 35* and I have a remote start when I came back out to the window heard the truck idling high. I know that the PCM adjusts the idle based on enviromental temps also.

William, Are you sure its different for our Excursions, I located both wires for the high idle mod under the dash of my excursion, I just havent done the High Idle Mod, because I am waiting to install my F650 dash panel.
If you already have the wires, consider yourself lucky.. Maybe they threw in a SD harness.. After 5 years of reading about 6.0 X's, yours would be the first I've heard of with the wires from the factory.. Do you have really late build date?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Originally Posted by william_04_x
What Phoenix race?
I thought there was a NHRDA race soon down there. Duckfan and I were going to go down there?

Quick Reply: 6.0l Excursion SEIC(high idle) mod