1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dont get over excited and spend your whole check!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont get over excited and spend your whole check!!

I have to tell you i have been so excited to get my truck back to her original luster with some upgrades, that i completly lost track of how much i was spending and now i am hurtin for the next 2 weeks. Went and bought a 2ton foldable engine hoist and a engine stand. pulled the motor, tore her apart and now i am at a complete stand still.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Wellthat beats staring at the engine in the engine bay ..at a complete standstill..
At least you can get your hands dirty , while your checking it out waiting for another payday..,
Might give ya some time to scope out some other things around the ol beast, so when you get the following months pay you can direct it accordingly.., it never seems to end sometimes, but the pace your on, it'l be done pretty quick..
Keep at it... Good Luck!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
i would take more pictures of the progress but the batteries keep dying on me. I did manage to take some though i'll put them in my gallery shortly.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I think at one time or another we have all felt this way. If we all had the extra cash laying around to finish our trucks "right now" there wouldn't be a need to hang around here, except for the fellowship and bragging about what we had done.
Work on my 53 gets done in spurts, when I have the extra cash to buy parts (this hasn't happened lately, putting it all in building inventory for a start-up business), but I will get back to it "Someday"..........

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the feeling. My wife is currently in school getting her teaching degree and that leaves me to bring home all of the bread and bacon. It's kinda hard to have a hobby at times like this but she is due to graduate next May and she says then we will put some money in my truck, and we will look into building a new house and we will start trying to have kids and we will ......

Sounds like the truck is still going to take a while.

BTW, I see you are in the Army. Thank you for your service to this wonderful country.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
yeah i know the feeling, my truck is going to slow down some more, cause my wife is going to go into labor by the 16th march so more money on diapers and less on truck.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your at a stand still it gives you time to sit back and figure whats next on your list that you could do so hang in there and bruise some nuckles.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Make sure you spend a few pennies on some zip lock baggies and a permanent marker. Then clearly label the engine parts as you take things apart. You will have a big box full pretty quick. It is easy to forget what something or some bolt was from. Plus it helps prevent losing stuff.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
It never fails, you might as well get used to it....
...I find that in this hobby I occasionally have some extra money, and sometimes I have some free time, I however, never, ever, ever have them at the same time

Look around, there's always some small part or some area that can either be cleaned or straightened while you are waiting for the next small bundle of cash

Bobby

Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Noel, When the wifey needs more time to herself,after the baby's done crying and asleep ( Congratulations!!!), the demands of the job are past for the day, and the neighborhood becomes quiet again,..look to F.T.E , and count on getting the support you and that 56 need,...maybe not right away, ..but always with some humor!! May even get some intelligent answers. Lot's of good folk's here!!
Keep at it!!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st Restore Project
I have to tell you i have been so excited to get my truck back to her original luster with some upgrades, that i completly lost track of how much i was spending and now i am hurtin for the next 2 weeks. Went and bought a 2ton foldable engine hoist and a engine stand. pulled the motor, tore her apart and now i am at a complete stand still.
This will repeat itself 100 times over and over.

Which it's still better than doing all the tear down, only to find yourself starting over.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
It's real hard to be patient and plan out a project, but that is the "right" way. I can think back to a couple of points where I took the wrong fork in the road and I'm paying for it now. It will be much harder to fix those things and much more expensive than if I'd been more patient and done them when I should have. Likewise, there are a lot of things I could have put off.

But overall, you've got to remember to have fun!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Walston
Make sure you spend a few pennies on some zip lock baggies and a permanent marker. Then clearly label the engine parts as you take things apart. You will have a big box full pretty quick. It is easy to forget what something or some bolt was from. Plus it helps prevent losing stuff.
and paper to describe the parts IN the baggie.. amazing what 5 or 6 years between off and on will do to the parts list..

Sam

Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Man, I ran into the same exact thing. Bought my truck in September and went crazy trying to do a bunch of work before the snow started flying.

Plus, every time I come across something I need, I'm like "oh my god I better buy it in case I never find another one!!!" That's a bad damn habit.

I've got a basement full of parts and no garage, so I'm chomping at the bit waiting for spring. Glad I had the winter to take a deep breath and actually come up with a plan of action.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, being at a standstill may be a blessing. Take the time while you await more funds to assess the next best step, research everything you need to know and have to complete it. You will waste a lot less money, and time, this way. Spend time on this site seeing what is being discussed and do some search's about areas you need to reach decisions on. By the way, thanks for your service. Joe

Quick Reply: Dont get over excited and spend your whole check!!