1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

p.o.s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p.o.s

this may of been done allready but i cant find it and i get a kick out of reading what the pos did to your trucks so lets here your po storys

Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM
ditz
Junior User
The fella that started my truck got killed in an auto accident. His wife kept the truck in the shop for about 5 years and finally decided to sell it. I had told her about 3 years earlier that if she ever sold it to let me get the first shot. She did and I bought it. Still needs a lot of work but I am plugging along and hope to have it on the road by spring or early summer. Not done but on the road. It is not a show truck.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
going slow
Senior User
well its not the truck but the box i got was turned into a trailer and the guy welded all the bed suports to the frame and then with some 1/4" angle built some weird brace/resting point from right below the gate back to the frame...

Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Uncle Dan bought the Mercury M-100 brand new in '58, she was his Ranch Truck for 40 years in Rubidux, Riverside County, Father inherited the "Wee Beastie" & had her for 3 years & he swapped her to me almost 7 years ago for my '58 F-350 because she'd be easier for me to drive.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
What the PO's did huh? Hmmm, where to start??

Let see, there were the large bolts in place of the rear spring shackle pins. the only thing keeping them from falling out were the lower bedsides....

Then there was the home made dual exhaust on my flat 6, the PO bored a hole in the exhaust manifold and "welded" (notice the quotation marks? thats because I use the term welded very loosely here....) a chunk of pipe in that connected, through flex pipe to some glass packs under the truck

Of course there was the obligatory radio hole in the dash that was cut in with a combination smoke wrench and church key....

The fuel tank was removed from the cab. It was setting in the bed of the truck with a piece of 1/8 plate welded behind it to protect it. the remaining piece of 1/8 plate was used as a bed floor.

2 pieces of 1" square stock were welded to the bedsides, vertically at each wheel well (presumable to add stength????)

The rear stake pockets on the truck had been smashed flat and large pieces of 1/4" diamond late welded to them to hold up some tailights that looked like they were stolen from a travel trailer

The seating was fully custom and consisted of 2 bucket seats on fishing boat pedestals (yup, they could pivot 360 degrees if you had the room)

Custom wiring harness using all one color wire(red)

....and lets not forget....**** carpeting

Bobby

Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, this post isn't what I thought it would be. The title should have been P.O.'s not P.O.S. which means something entirely different...

But, since it is about previous owners and not pieces of #### (which oftimes amount to the same thing) I must add my own rant. I spent several hours separating the seat frame from the floor in my F-3 because the PO welded it to the floor. I suppose he thought no one would ever want to remove the seat.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Mine had a 283 dropped in it and aluminum slots. The P.O. moved to AZ from IO and left it in his Moms barn.
He came home about 10 years later to stay and it had to be one of his friends but his tranny was stolen.
He wanted to fix it up but it was just too much.
I found it for $500
It had been green originally and was painted red (faded to orange) with primer brown interior, dash and all was painted brown.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Campbell 56
Senior User
Where to start, there's just so many things...
Lots of black electrical adhesive tape wrapped around wires that are twisted together, sometimes with wire nuts for house wiring. I replaced the wire harness to fix that problem until I recently found that the headlights were wired that way too. Always wondered why the headlights were so dim.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my truck as a "driver". It had some obvious cosmetic problems and the driveline was really tired, but I was inclined to think it was basically sound since the PO built it for his daughter as her first car. She had driven it for 8 years.

He said it had "a vibration" at 60 mph. I found out what the vibration was driving it home when the driveshaft fell out on the freeway.

And so the saga began...

Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
You think PO's are bad??

You should see some of the stuff the current owner has done to my truck!!!!
What the heck was that guy thinking??..................LOL

Bobby

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy of mine was building my 51,he suffered a lite stroke, lost some ability in his arm and lost interest soooooo it begins, remove from s10 frame, return to 51 frame,thinking 18 months for driver, 51/2 years later, it is drivable but still in progress,HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=175196&.jpg[/img]

This is our truck as we bought it in 1988. 2x6's for running boards, homemade wooden tailgate with barndoor hinges, it also had a wooden glovebox door and vinyl glued over the dash. Boy it was purdy.LOL
brian...

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Well, were to start. Brian at least yours had a tailgate, Mine had some ugly a$$ tail lights with an ugly a$$ roll pan along with a whole bunch of other ugly stuff although I do like you old running boards that is definitely custom

Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i bought my '49 from a friend in 1977 for $200. he bought it for $100 and had some work done on it so he could drive it. the fuel pump failed and he didn't even know where the fuel pump was. he had only a crescent wrench and screwdriver. i, however, had the basic craftsman socket set. i decided i didn't really need to buy a new fuel pump since the existing one was dual action. i just pumped the gas through the wiper part of the fuel pump. it idled great, but the first time i took it on the highway, i had all i could do to turn it around and get home. after a 22 year storage, we are currently redoing most of what i did in the early days. If i want to get PO'ed at the PO, the PO in this case is the Present Owner. dick r.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
ops32
Junior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Hmmm, this post isn't what I thought it would be. The title should have been P.O.'s not P.O.S. which means something entirely different...

But, since it is about previous owners and not pieces of #### (which oftimes amount to the same thing) I must add my own rant. I spent several hours separating the seat frame from the floor in my F-3 because the PO welded it to the floor. I suppose he thought no one would ever want to remove the seat.
My PO did the same thing. The captive nuts must've come loose and they just welded the seat supports to the floor.
Robert