Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wander, suspension, beat the dead horse.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM
017.3ex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wander, suspension, beat the dead horse.

Sorry to do this to everyone, but I need help and don't have the time to spend more hours searching for wander correction opinions. The last time I took a trip in the X, it wandered so bad I couldn't even break concentration to have a conversation with any of my passengers. When I would change lanes on the interstate, two wheels would cross the dotted line (crown of the road) gradually, and then the truck would just take off toward the side of the road causing me to jerk it back as I corrected to keep from running off the road. I then took a trip with my 31' TT, and it swayed so bad that it turned my 3 hour trip into a 6 1/2 hour trip. It took 2 1/2 hours to go 50 miles before I dropped the trailer, continued to my destination, and stayed in a hotel. I was so torqued off about it, the day after I got back from my trip, I went out and bought a 2007 crew cab duramax. (there went any chance I had at getting help.)
The X has been on consignment for 6 months now with no prospects and I am sure that it is because of the handling characteristics. So, I am going to take one last shot at fixing the wandering problem.
What I have now: 2001 Limited PSD, new Uniroyal E tires, Landyot RR, new KYB 9000 shocks, Helwig sway bar, adjusted steering box, 114K miles.

Should I do the v/b spring swap, what does that usually cost?

I have been reading about the RAS, will that work with the RR's? Can I take the RR's off even though the spring snubber has been cut off?

I really liked the X, but my family's safety comes first and the new Chevy does an awesome job of pulling our trailer. I really need to get rid of the X and if I need to spend some money to do so, I will. On the other hand, if any of you want a great deal on the truck and want to do the suspension work yourself, let me know. Truck is in Harrisonburg, VA.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I wonder, if your problem is that bad and you already have the Landyot RR, if maybe there isn't something else that's causing your problem other than the "normal" inherent wander problems these Excursions have.

Have you inspected the front ball joints?

Stewart

Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
05MSC
Freshman User
Wow, too bad about your out of control wander. Like Stewart said, sounds like it might be something else, steering box perhaps? I thought I had a lot of wandering in my 05 X, but nothing near your problem. Hate to rub it in, but just installed Bilstein shocks and a Hellwig sway bar. I can't believe the noticeable improvement in handling with such a simple install. For anyone else contemplating a suspension upgrade, do it...Bilsteins and Hellwig. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 017.3ex
Sorry to do this to everyone, but I need help and don't have the time to spend more hours searching for wander correction opinions. The last time I took a trip in the X, it wandered so bad I couldn't even break concentration to have a conversation with any of my passengers. When I would change lanes on the interstate, two wheels would cross the dotted line (crown of the road) gradually, and then the truck would just take off toward the side of the road causing me to jerk it back as I corrected to keep from running off the road. I then took a trip with my 31' TT, and it swayed so bad that it turned my 3 hour trip into a 6 1/2 hour trip. It took 2 1/2 hours to go 50 miles before I dropped the trailer, continued to my destination, and stayed in a hotel. I was so torqued off about it, the day after I got back from my trip, I went out and bought a 2007 crew cab duramax. (there went any chance I had at getting help.)
The X has been on consignment for 6 months now with no prospects and I am sure that it is because of the handling characteristics. So, I am going to take one last shot at fixing the wandering problem.
What I have now: 2001 Limited PSD, new Uniroyal E tires, Landyot RR, new KYB 9000 shocks, Helwig sway bar, adjusted steering box, 114K miles.

Should I do the v/b spring swap, what does that usually cost?

I have been reading about the RAS, will that work with the RR's? Can I take the RR's off even though the spring snubber has been cut off?

I really liked the X, but my family's safety comes first and the new Chevy does an awesome job of pulling our trailer. I really need to get rid of the X and if I need to spend some money to do so, I will. On the other hand, if any of you want a great deal on the truck and want to do the suspension work yourself, let me know. Truck is in Harrisonburg, VA.
How much tire pressure do you run? My X door sticker says 50 front and 55 rear. I run 60 all around.

With that kind of mileage, I would say ball joints and tie rod ends are potential issues. They are easy to check, just jack the front end, grab the tire at the top and bottom and pull in and out for the ball joints. Should not be any play. Now if you grab the tire front to back and pull on it you this will check the tire rod ends and steering linkage. There should be no play. If all of that is tight, you either need to re-adjust the steering box or replace it.

DSMMH

Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 AM
fordtruckster
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by 05MSC
Wow, too bad about your out of control wander. Like Stewart said, sounds like it might be something else, steering box perhaps? I thought I had a lot of wandering in my 05 X, but nothing near your problem. Hate to rub it in, but just installed Bilstein shocks and a Hellwig sway bar. I can't believe the noticeable improvement in handling with such a simple install. For anyone else contemplating a suspension upgrade, do it...Bilsteins and Hellwig. Good luck.
how much for a set of bilsteins installed on my truck?
thanks
jeff

Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Jeff, go to E-shocks and buy them there. They are one of the cheapest online places to buy Bilsteins. Then install them yourself and save the labor fee.

Stewart

Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
017.3ex,

I'm with those that suggested something else is wrong...

With new shocks, hellwig, E range tires, steering box adjustment AND radius rods...you've attacked all the KNOWN culprits...

The others are as suggested...ball joints and tie rods...you HAVE to have something wrong in that front end...

A RAS in addition to your radius rods is NOT needed IMO...I'd have a good front end shop look things over...

And if after that if those check out okay...well the steering box is likely shot...there shouldn't be too much more after that!

Sorry for your issues...if you've got UNLOADED steering wander as bad as you say with the stuff you have done to the Ex...I'd go with the last two suggestions of ball joints and tie rods...

Good luck,
joe.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Before spending any more on gear, take it to a reputable alignment shop and have them spec it to the F250SD instead of the X. Apparantly there is quite a difference between the two.

Another brilliant move Ford did in addition to the U/A springs that came on it...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
017.3ex
Freshman User
Thanks for the help guys. Before the two trips from hell, I had the a front end alignment done and obviously, it did nothing for me. I have had the truck in the shop numerous times looking at the front end. They did replace a connecting rod ( I think thats what it was, it has been a while) and also, I had the front sway bar bushings replaced. I may just have to take it in and have them tear the front end down and replace anything that looks even remotely worn. I did have some hesitation spending any more on suspension since the problem is bad when the suspension is really not under any load. As far as shocks go, the KYB's I had installed were supposed to be really good. They were somewhere around $130-$140 per shock for the front. Unless you guys have something really bad to say about them, I will leave them as they are. Just throwing this out there as well, I have not been taking my truck to the dealer for the work, but I do trust my mechanic. I did stop by the Ford dealer within the last month to talk to them about the problem. The service dept. said that they had never heard of the X wander problem and did not offer any advice on the subject.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
017.3ex
Freshman User
Forgot to answer the tire pressure question. The tires call for 80# and that is what I run them at. I ran them at 60# once and the they felt really squishy. I have always assumed you went with whatever the tire recommendation was and not what is on the door sticker.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
017.3ex,

About the last suggestion I have would be to vary the tire pressure as follows and take it for test drives.

Since you are at 80# front and rear ... start there an go down...

Try varying pressures by 5psi increments.

Like front 75 rear 80

Front 70 rear 80

Front 65 rear 80

Front 60 rear 80

Front 60 rear 75

Front 60 rear 70

Front 60 rear 65

Front 55 rear 65

From a LOAD standpoint...55 front should provide AMPLE load carrying capacity for that front axle...

65 would get you 6000# on the REAR axle and also be more than sufficient...as the rear GAWR is 5250#...

Tire pressures should be varied as an exercise.

I know when I had near 80# in my tires...the thing handled like crud...

Towing my 9000# TT with 1100# of tongue weight...I run 60 front and 70 rear...on my BFG Rugged Trail T/A 265/75/16E's and have a VERY sure footed Ex.

Did you go with the same size/profile tires? I know you said they were E's...but didn't mention the size...did the handling issues exist PRIOR to the tire change or were they part of trying to find the handle?

Shock wise...you should be fine with the KYB's...

We'll keep pitching...if you keep answering...!

joe.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
017.3ex
Freshman User
The tires are standard sized 265/75/16 Uniroyal Laredo's. I bought the X with 97K miles on it. The seller told me about the tendancy to wander and I did notice it when I was test driving it. But, I do have a tendancy to overlook what I consider to be minor flaws when I am wanting to like (and buy) something, particularly a vehicle. After a few months, it started to get on my nerves enough that I joined this web site and started trying to correct the problem. With each (fix) I had high hopes that the problem would be resolved. The biggest single improvement was when I adjusted the steering box. Two days before the aforementioned TT trip, I got a screw in one of my back tires. I decided to replace the two rear tires rather than have the one patched. The replacement tires are the exact same as what was taken off. The day after the tire installation, was when I had the alignment. It is driving now (or I should say was as I have not driven it for 6 months) the worst it has since I have owned it. My big hang up is this: If such a minor thing as tire pressure can screw up the ride so bad, why did Ford ever let the thing out of the factory. It seems that there is such a fine line that needs to be ridden in order to have a good handling X. It is just not in my nature to constantly tinker with something to keep it working.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Man...I keep going back and re-reading your original post to see if there are any 'clues' in there that we missed! DOH...

I cannot argue with you about the "fine line" statement above...I do feel the ROOT of our issues does come from the spring packs choosen by Ford...those really contribute to many of our isses...

Perhaps the steering box is simply YOUR issue...a replacement aftermarket box MAY BE YOUR SOLUTION...all the other items you have addressed are the PRIMARY things that generally cause these issues...the BOX MAY BE IT...have you checked out a replacement one?...just a last thought...if I think any harder I'm gonna need a drink!

joe.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Forgot to answer the tire pressure question. The tires call for 80# and that is what I run them at. I ran them at 60# once and the they felt really squishy. I have always assumed you went with whatever the tire recommendation was and not what is on the door sticker.
What the tire says is the maximum psi the tire can hold at the maximum weight load not what one should run them at all times (unless one always has the Excursion fully loaded) The pressure on the tire is the MAX psi the tire can handle. You might want to try and lower the pressure and fine tune it to your likings.

I have one question. Are Excursions heavier in the front or the rear and if the diesels are heavier in the front than the gas engines let me know.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
It seems that there is such a fine line that needs to be ridden in order to have a good handling X.
Joe posted the following statement in another thread:

I believe shoring up the suspension creates 'margin' in the overall handling characteristics of this vehicle...whereas having the OEM springs makes the 'tuning' so critical to keep everything in balance...creating the 'margin' thru stiffer springs opens up the problem space to solve it (i.e. tune the truck) easier.

I'm sure Stewart will agree with that logic and conclusion...
I do agree with that statement.

017.3, regarding your "fine line" assessment, and in conjunction with Joe's "margin" statement, in my opinion, if the V/B codes came stock on the Excursions from the factory, there wouldn't be a "fine line" and we wouldn't be worrying about handling characteristics, because the "margin" would be so wide the wander problem wouldn't exist.

Which lends itself to, if the wandering problem didn't exist, when a handling issue cropped up, it would be easier to determine what was wrong with the suspension, like if the ball joints were worn, or if the tires were bad, the steering box needed replacing, or maybe a control arm was bent, or something, ya know?

Stewart

Quick Reply: Wander, suspension, beat the dead horse.