1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

volare ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 AM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
volare ride height

I would like to hear from those who are using a volare front suspension and have adjusted the height . I installed mine using the pattern to cut by that has been around for several years. It actually sits a little lower than I would like.I have turned the adjusting screws in ( clockwise ) as far as I could with the tools I have. And , yes , I do have the truck jacked up with the weight off the front tires . So far I have not been able to make more than one or one and a half inches difference. My next move will be to use a small bottle jack in place of the shock absorber to relieve some pressure from the torsion bars while I try to turn the screws in some more. I would like to raise the front about three inches from where it now sets. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you probably won't be able to raise it very much.. you will loose all the travel and mess up the geometry. Certainly won't be able to get 3 inches of lift.

Another way is to go to bigger wheels & ties.. I am going from the 15s on now to 18s in the front, which is 1.5 lift at the wheel centerline
I may do the drop spindles to remove this.

Sam

Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
8bahead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmmm, you may have put that volare in too deep in the chassis. the deeper the clip the lower it will ride.if you have the adjustment bolts turned all the way in and you want more height the other suggestions may be the ticket.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks guys . I got back under the truck and found the strength to turn the screws some more. I was able to go about 2 more full turns on each one , intentionally trying to keep both the same. It raised the truck a little . Maybe I don't need to go up 3 inches after all. I can tell a difference in the ride and I like it better . It's slightly firmer and feels good. At this point the alignment is not an issue as I have not taken it to the alignment shop yet. There's a shop about a quarter of a mile from where I work that I plan to take it to on my lunch hour one day this week. I think I'll get a longer handle tool and turn the screws just a little more and replace the shocks tomorrow, before I go to the alignment shop. Thanks again and happy motoring to you and your'n.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
You could also ask the alignment tech to raise it up a bit for you as well. This used to be a part of the service bach when I did it for a living. Worth a try. Let us know what happens. Mine is set up in the chassis an extra 1/2" but I like it.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

thomc, how about starting a gallery? Then we can offer our "expert" opinions about the height of your truck

Old 02-10-2008, 05:34 PM
going slow
Senior User
most shops with an alignment machine will set ride hight for u or adjust it on your request. then they will adjust the alignment from there.....i know the one i work at does..

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
8bahead
Senior User
If you can get to those adjustment bolts oil em up real good get a 15/16" socket 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar and crank on em! Make sure both wheels are off the ground!