Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Feb. 9 1971

Any of you other old farts remember what happened that morning?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-09-2008, 04:07 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
Northridge eartquake
Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Jäger

Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.
Sylmar Quake.

I clearly recall thinking it was a military jet helicopter flying low over our house... until my Dad came through my door and yanked me out of bed and into the hallway with my two sisters and Mom.
The helicopter reference may sound strange to some people, but where I grew up (Tujunga) the military used to fly along the San Gabriel Mountains almost daily and at higher speeds and lower altitudes than you would ever see today. During the Vietnam War sonic booms were also a regular occurence.

Yep, I recall that morning Steve.

Olive View Hospital in Sylmar lost an entire wing, the 5/14 interchange collapsed as it did during the Northridge Quake in '94, some big aftershocks too. That was my first earthquake experience.

Remember the "Herald Examiner"? www.lafire.com/famous_fires/710209_SylmarEarthquake/020971_LAHerald_KillerQuake.htm
'05 F250 Lariat CCSB 4X4 6.0 - Sold

Rest In Peace, Steve P. You are missed.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Post Fiend

BradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud of
i can remember plans over my house to. i lived right by where the tustin and el toro air basses were. they would fly over with just one engine going, for some kind of training i guess. but i get the plane refence too.

but my dad never came though my door during an earth quake though. mostly because he never woke up during them, but my mom always made us get in a door way.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
It was my first one too(that I can recall, anyway). We didn't have any very large ones afterwards 'til the Whittier quake in '87, then the Big Bear /Landers and Northridge quakes in '93 & '97 (I think). Could be another any time.....
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Post Fiend

BradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud of
yeah there are just so many that its hard to keep track of them all and remember them all (well back in the 80s and 90 atlest)
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
I had the Northridge and Sylmar earthquakes mixed up. I originally put Sylmar, but thought it was the later of the two so I changed it to Northridge. I remember both of them, and the Whittier one. I grew up in South Whittier, so that one was close to home.

I was going to say that was the day you bought your very first Ford truck, but I didn't want to be a smart donkey

Last edited by Nighteyez; 02-11-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I grew up in South Whittier, so that one was close to home.

I was going to say that was the day you bought your very first Ford truck, but I didn't want to be a smart donkey
South Whittier, eh? I grew up in Pico Rivera. The area sure has changed since back then. No Dairies around anymore.

The day I bought my first Ford truck was still a few years (5) down the road.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Posting Guru

bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
i wouldnt be born for 15 more years...i remember northridge though, that was a good sized quake, people think it didnt effect ventura, but my house was about 80% destroyed by it
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

Hey Brian! Hadn't seen you in a while. Been busy?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Yes, I grew up in Whittier, on Leffingwell Rd about a mile north of that Shell oil refinery. Technically they call it Sante Fe Springs, or an unincorporated part of Whittier. My immediate neighborhood has not changed much, but the area where I played Little League baseball has. The baseball fields are no longer there. They used to be kitty cornered from the Consolidated Frieghtways company. My high school is now an adult school, and my middle school is a day care. Only the elementary schools are still in business.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Sierra HS.? They also closed down Monte Vista HS - it is a training academy for the LASD. I think the baseball fields you are talking about were over on Shoemaker or Bloomfield? There used to be a go-kart track over there as well. That brings back some memories.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Yes, Sierra HS. My brother went to Monte Vista after being kicked out of Sierra (for fighting) I noticed they had made that a training facility. The baseball fields were on Meyer Rd. I can't remember the other two streets one may have been Mulberry, because the Mulberry Park was about half a mile to the east of that intersection. And a little further east was Carmela my Junior High school. That is the one I think is a day care now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Yes - Meyer rd. between Carmenita and Shoemaker. That was the way we used to go to "grandmothers house" in La Mirada. I remember (for some reason) a tall sign on the south side of Meyer that read "Good Food".
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
yeah man school and work, work and school, same old same old!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM