Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help: Transfer Case almost fell out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Transfer Case almost fell out!!!

Just as the title says.. I almost lost my Transfer Case. The last couple days, I've noticed this front end vibration that is pretty voilent. I figured it was my drivers side ***** joints about ready to go as they are semi going bad. Well, to make a long story short, I planned on taking the truck up to the local shop Monday to get my ball joints replaced as its cold here and my truck won't come in a mile to fitting in my garage.

So, I drove down to get fuel and started thinking... I noticed everytime I would be on the gas even slightly, there would be NO vibration. However, as soon as I let off the gas in most cases, the truck would start shaking (mostly speeds under 50 mph). So a light went off in my head, check the drive shaft U joints. I got home, crowd under the truck and started shaking the drive shaft.... The whole drive shaft was moving up and down!! I looked around and immediately seen the entire Transfer Case moving back and forth!! It appears that I lost about 3-4 bolts towards the bottom of the case. There is about a 1/4 inch gap separating the bottom of the transfer case.. UNREAL!

I've noticed a leak at the bottom of the Transfer Case since I bought this truck about 6+ months ago. I did have a similar occurance about 3 months ago.. but it went away. Both times this seems to have happened when I used Drive 1 on the tranny going down a steep hill in my plan when it was snow covered. For some reason, when I use Drive 1 it makes this whining noise once I get to the bottom of the hill. Almost like the sound you get if you spin something the wrong way it should go. It only has done this twice and both times when I was coming down a hill. Would this have anything to do with it?

I'm going to run to the hardware store tomorrow to get some bolts and washers but could I have done any damage? Everything appears good still. However, the gasket for the Transfer case is torn at the bottom.

If anyone could give some input, I'd really appreciate it. It looks like the amount of room to get the new bolts in is going to be very difficult.

I'll post some pictures in a minute to show exactly where I'm talking.

Last edited by Trailblazed; 02-08-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
Heres the pictures.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that's one I haven't heard of before, but will be watching this one. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

not cool man. might want to see about changing that gasket since it's torn.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't think the hardware store carries bolts of sufficient strength for what you need to do.
I would recommend going to some place that specializes in fasteners and get some 12 grade bolts and heavy duty washers.
Here in the Puget Sound area there is a place called Tacoma Screw.
Here's thier website. If they don't have it, I doubt anyone does.
http://www.tacomascrew.com/
Try a search for something like that in your area.
Don't use hardware store bolts, if you are lucky you will be able to get grade 8 and that is not very strong IMO for what you need to do. Most of thier stuff is grade 5, basically a stove bolt.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Might want to get that tightened back up!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
I was thinking grade 8 would just barely cut it but wasn't sure. Figures, I need the truck all week and unless I can pull off a miracle, I won't have it. I just wonder how long its been like this. It has to of been awhile atleast and maybe I just lost one or two more bolts recently causing the vibrations. It almost feels like I was running on a Rumble Strip.

Luckly, I found this now as I was getting ready to head up to the Mountains tomorrow. Imagine losing a drive shaft and Transfer case going 70mph...

What type of oil does the Transfer Case take? Has anyone taken one out before? Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
cangim
Postmaster
It takes ATF fluid, about 2 qts, you might just stop by a dealer for the bolts, there is 6 all together, I'd replace all six and pick up some loctite if you don't have some already. Remember the transfer case housing is aluminum, so don't over torque them. You might even check them all out to make sure that is not the reason they dissapeared in the first place.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
Will I have any issues with getting the new bolts in clearance wise? It looks like the bottom bolts maybe difficult to reach cause the crossmember for the frame is in the way.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
ron01sd
Senior User
i'll be checking mine in the am.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Trailblazed
Will I have any issues with getting the new bolts in clearance wise? It looks like the bottom bolts maybe difficult to reach cause the crossmember for the frame is in the way.
It's a little tight on the passenger side due to the exhaust being in the way, IIRC.
I rebuilt my transfer case a short while ago after being towed home and I simply pulled the unit while the truck was parked in the front yard. Nothing special was required to get it out or back in. I forget now, what wrench size was needed, but I used these.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Man that's rough... i'll be checking mine in a few hours now lol. I agree with cangim though get the bolts through the dealer that way you know they will be the right length and thread. Also check to make sure they aren't broken off up in there.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
stormyrider
Elder User
I wouldn't use the hardware grade bolts, if you are lucky they might be grade 5 bolts, most times they are grade 2. I would think you would want 5's or 8's in that spot. I would also use a little loctite when putting in the new bolts and look over your seals, you may want to replace the seals if it was run loose like that.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
greagin
Elder User
Is there a noticeable tear/rip in the gasket or is it a factory slit all the way through? IIRC when i replaced my tranny one of the gaskets for the transfer case or transmission or some shaft seal had a factory slit in it. i thought it was torn also, may want to check. Couldn't be that expensive to get a new one though, $5-$6? i would get the factory ford bolts if i could. Just my.02 though.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lifted trucks

I'v seen this happen on 3 trucks. All of them happened to be lifted, FYI.

Quick Reply: Help: Transfer Case almost fell out!!!