General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

the monopoly continues/for those that love walmart lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the monopoly continues/for those that love walmart lol

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23048157/

Wal-Mart to open in-store medical clinics

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will open its first in-store medical clinics under its own brand name after leasing space in dozens of stores to outside companies that operate the quick-service health stops.

The world’s largest retailer said Thursday it will open “The Clinic at Wal-Mart” as a joint venture with local hospital systems in Atlanta, Dallas and Little Rock, Ark., starting in April.

get your oil changed, buy some socks, groceries, and now a medical checkup, you gotta be kidding me.

i imagine that this will take off, as im sure rates will be good, and im sure that walmart will probably take most insurance companies

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you read down the article it states that more grocery chains are going to try it also. I'd go for it because I get my prescriptions filled at Wal-Mart. Why not see a Doctor there too? It would save me some fuel too.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
ashshade
Senior User
China-mark won't be happy untill you wright just one check a month-to them. Next up, daycare and insurance, they would have had a bank too if the feds let them. Does no one else see a problem with this? They want to be in every aspect of our lives, I don't like the sound of that.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashshade
China-mark won't be happy untill you wright just one check a month-to them. Next up, daycare and insurance, they would have had a bank too if the feds let them. Does no one else see a problem with this? They want to be in every aspect of our lives, I don't like the sound of that.
Good marketing at it's best. Last time I was at Wal Mart, I sat in the parking lot watching for someone with a gun forcing customers to go in ........ didn't see him.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
I believe this would be called "meeting the customers' needs" in some business circles.

I agree with Dono. There's a market for this service.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
oh believe me im sure this will take off like noones business........especially with todays healthcare system and prices of drugs and doctors, im sure these guys will have some rates that will be better than most, and probably accepting most isurance plans

Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Up until recently I've been getting fleeced every time I needed new glasses for me or my son. Found out that Walmart had transition lenses for less than what my insurance would cover...it was a no brainer. I'm all for made in USA and all that but if I can buy glasses AND fill up the tank in the superduty for the same price as the optometrist, it's a done deal.

Last edited by bryyce62; 02-07-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: errors
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is actually a very good move. Several grocery store chains are already doing it. This is actually part of the solution for America's health system: competition. It will allow people to visit nurses for non-emergency issues, lower their medical costs significantly, and most importantly, reduce pressure on emergency rooms where many illegals go for free health care because they cannot afford doctors. The impact of these type of clinics are huge, and positive.

I'm no Walmart fan... not in the least. But this is a service we need. Publix, Kroger and others are already doing it.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 02-07-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
flathead239
Senior User

Originally Posted by dono
Good marketing at it's best. Last time I was at Wal Mart, I sat in the parking lot watching for someone with a gun forcing customers to go in ........ didn't see him.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Wal-Mart to open in-store medical clinics
"Good morning Walmart Shoppers. While waiting for your tires and batteries to be installed, waiting for your new glasses, or after getting your hair done....Be sure to stop by our new Wal-Clin cubical for all your medical needs...Come on in and be prepared to assume the position"

"..cough, cough"

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What I could never understand is why Your & Our Big Pharmacies/Drug Stores never did this.

In Canada, we have small pharmacies that rent space in a medical clinic.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
This is actually a very good move. Several grocery store chains are already doing it. This is actually part of the solution for America's health system: competition. It will allow people to visit nurses for non-emergency issues, lower their medical costs significantly, and most importantly, reduce pressure on emergency rooms where many illegals go for free health care because they cannot afford doctors. The impact of these type of clinics are huge, and positive.
I just finished reading John Stossels' book "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out The Shovel -- Why Everything You know Is Wrong" (good book btw) and he said the exact same thing...And I agree.

Tim

Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would anybody shoot me if I said this may be a good time to buy & hold some Walmart stock?
Especially with a possible slowing economy, people may tend to bargin shop a little more. If the clinic idea has any legs...just something to think about.

That brings up another question...would those of us that look down on Walmart change how they(we) feel about the corporation or would they(we) despise it even more?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they imported from China too?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by dono
Touche', dono. A business model second to none.

Quick Reply: the monopoly continues/for those that love walmart lol