6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Rising Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
expeditor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boat hualer dont feel bad im just in the beggining stages of where your at ( i think) and my dealer is an idiot. I paid cash for mine and im paranoid that they got my money so they got me by the short and curlys.I just put 3000 dollar entertainment system and have to go to my deajer who told me air horns will void my whole warranty ....nice huh...The only thing that helps me sleep is knowing if i have to ill trade it in a minute.not for a yota butprobably a v 10 this f 350 cc dually is so beautiful and huge and chromed out i love it..however im using it to cruise town spin tire show off and look good...i may have to face the fact that this motor aint for that..i hope i have an easy time as you did with your dealer keep me posted...chuck

Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Originally Posted by expeditor
boat hualer dont feel bad im just in the beggining stages of where your at ( i think) and my dealer is an idiot. I paid cash for mine and im paranoid that they got my money so they got me by the short and curlys.I just put 3000 dollar entertainment system and have to go to my deajer who told me air horns will void my whole warranty ....nice huh...The only thing that helps me sleep is knowing if i have to ill trade it in a minute.not for a yota butprobably a v 10 this f 350 cc dually is so beautiful and huge and chromed out i love it..however im using it to cruise town spin tire show off and look good...i may have to face the fact that this motor aint for that..i hope i have an easy time as you did with your dealer keep me posted...chuck

WAKE UP FORD are you listening!!!!! We are not liking this shXX Get your act together.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
as crazy as it sounds, the 64 will "produce" oil within normal operation. this is completely normal and the up to date techs and engineers all know about this. now, if it is extremely high or smells like diesel fuel which is very noticeable, then there is a concern with the fuel system. the way the engine works and operates will make the oil level go up, but all is fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
jaybud0
New User
I understand it's possible. But then can you explain why not all the 6.4's are getting fuel in the oil ?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
i cannot remember what it is causing the oil level to increase, but it is not fuel unless there is a problem. there is more soot than anything due to the regen process.

as far as why alot of people dont have that problem, they do they just either dont know it, or dont care. the rising oil level is a characteristic of the truck.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
expeditor
Junior User
Bow tie you put my mind at ease a little. Do u being a tech see any pattern in my driving habits that contribute? F350 cc drw. 1,300 miles. highway miles 6 months probbably 200 total if im lucky. remote start at least 20 min warm up, short trips ( 15 city blocks then park) then back home. fridays cruising blvd smokin tires fast starts (not beating it but not takin it easy eaither) racing total 2-3 blocks at a time.( racing their dads truck redlight to redlight.) My friend randy goodman from goodmans racing runs diesels and told me im not getting my engine hot enough to seal it up..and as soon as it starts to get hot i shut it off..Do you agree? Any more info you have as a tech i would appreciate it....ALSO>> on the bottom of my window sticker it has 19 numbers and letters then the date 07 12 07 is this my build date? if so what job is this truck? I have chrome grill ,reverse sensors, and upfitter switches. thank you chuck

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
the extended idle time is bad and probably your number 1 reason. these trucks need to be warm to be fully efficient and the less idle time the better. diesels can "cool" off when idleing and the excessive time is never good due to wet stacking that can occur and that is very bad on the emission equipment. the short trips are bad on any vehicle diesel or gas because of the temp factor for operational strategies. both of these can cause more than usual regens and raise the oil level.

also if you or anyone has a question that cannot be answered on the boards, send me a pm and i will answer to the best of my knowledge.

not sure about the build date but i think it is a job 1 truck.

Last edited by BowTieHatr; 02-11-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM
expeditor
Junior User
Botiehater thank you very much i appreciate your time i may take you up on the pm.. i believe with the low miles, ill get the oil changed, cut back on my warm up and short trips. im gonna start super long highway cruises on weekends and watch my oil. The last thing i want is for Ford to start tearing at my vehicle if its not needed. Thank you chuck

Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
jaybud0
New User
BowTieHatr
Explain please
If this is normal for the oil level to rise, first why don't all the same engines have the same problem?
If a good highway drive helps I travel 7000 km's or 4400 miles a month why does mine increase?
If this is OK why does Imperial Oil say 2.5% is too excessive and can cause serious problems and Ford says 4% is acceptable.
Why does the lab where the analysis was sent to say 5% is a critical situation.
Have you never heard of hydraulic lock, because of too much fluid in the crank case.
Why didn't I have this problem for the first five months of ownership?
The lab and Imperial don't know anything?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
those percentages are a fuel number not soot. yes fuel in oil is bad but i said that under normal instances that it is soot not fuel. sorry if i didnt make it clear enough in my earlier post. all 6.4s will have oil level rise, but depending on the driving habits and drivers, will make it rise slower or faster. once again, if there is fuel in the oil, then there is a issue, but if the oil level is high and no odor of fuel, then you are ok.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
expeditor
Junior User
Yea see now i tried smelling it and i tried to convince myself it was oil but i just cant make out any diesel smell, i need another nose opinion...secondly if you mean soot in the oil, it makes sense because my oil is blacker than any dirty gasoline oil ive ever ever seen,how the hell does it get in there(not being a tech) and it must really be alot to make it rise that much....chuck

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
expeditor
Junior User
I meant to say i smelled it and couldnt smell deisel NOT oil.chuck

Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
well it is a decent amount. the soot mainly comes from when it runs "rich" during a regen.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
hammer toe
Freshman User
i had the same problem only mine was about half inch on the steel wire. dealer had my truck for four days and didn't find a problem. i have been driving the truck and so far the oil level has stayed the same. i think ford doesn't know how to make a dip stick to check the oil level. i believe this is going to only get worse as more people check their oil and sooner or later ford will have to find a fix hopefully sooner than later.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
jaybud0
New User
I had a dealership do a proper diagnostics for fuel in my oil. Put dye into the secondary fuel filter and do a command rail pressure to see if the dye showed up by a injector or the fuel line and nothing. The truck was ran and no dye appeared in the oil so it is coming from the regen cycle.
Why isn't there any perameters to follow for the regen to see if these are putting too much fuel into the engine during a regen?
A quarter tank of fuel in 12.5 miles I think is too excessive.
Also the other day I noticed it was in regen mode and held the throttle as light as I could at 30 mph and reset the computer and it read a steady 6.46 mpg
Later that same day the truck was running good and when I was doing 30 mph again keeping it at as light throttle as possible and reset the computer and it showed 28.41 mpg
These are burning 22 mpg during a regen ? That seem to be a lot of fuel.
Any help