Aerostar Ford Aerostar

95 4.0 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
crackerloco
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4.0 oil leak

My van is leaking oil from where the oil filter extension bolts to the block. Is it an o-ring or a gasket that needs to be replaced? Any unexpexted upsets that I should expect when fixing this?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any dents in your oil filter?
the extension is easily damaged/cracked by debris hits to the filter hanging down. check closely when you remove it. clean with brake or carb cleaner then examine under bright light. the aluminum cracks easily

takes an O ring. take the old one to your auto parts store
FEL-PRO Part # 72884

use a torque wrench on adapter bolt. tighten to 25 lb/ft and run/check for leaks....30 lb/ft max

Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
There are two O-rings; a large one that seals between the plate and the block, and a smaller one inside that separates the incoming and outgong oil passages. If one is leaking, chances are the other is as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Stavid
Junior User
I have a 96, 4.0. Had the same problem when I first got it at about 33,000. Dealership fixed the problem by changing an oring where the extension attaches. Haven't had any issues since and I'm on 131,000 now.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to be getting some leaking from that area as well, though it is hard to tell because I think the valve cover is also leaking.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
For the 4.0l OHV in the '97, this is the line drawing that the Ford manual shows.

Click HERE for larger

Notice that it shows only two o-rings: the big one that seals the adapter to the block, and the small one that is an intermediate on the adapter bolt.

The following pic is from an eBay seller, purportedly for a 4.0l OHV.

Click HERE for larger

Lastly, this is for a SOHC. Notice three o-rings in this drawing?

At first, the dealer couldn't find a listing for that under-the-bolt-head o-ring, but when I showed the SOHC drawing, he used that group number to find it. This was sufficiently difficult to figure out, that I'm posting it for future Googlers.

Adapter Filter Adapter Mounting Bolt o-ring:
E9TZ-6749-A ---- 26.5mm

Internal seal o-ring:
E3TZ-6749-A ---- 17mm (or Victor Reinz 72115)

Oil filter adatper-to-block:
Fel-Pro 72884
Inside Diameter (In): 2.482 Inch
Width (In): 0.141 Inch

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
So, now that I kind of know what I'm fighting (I have the too-typical oil weep at those o-rings above), I have a question for those of you who may have already been down this road.

I am installing a dual-filter remote (one full-flow, one bypass) in the usual location of outside the right frame rail. I assume that I can remove the OEM oil filter adapter entirely and bolt my filter adapter directly to the block, but that I'll need the double-ended threaded insert that screws in the block, and to which an oil filter would normally thread. Something similar to this:

Does anybody know either the 4.0l OHV's thread size/pitch, or a part number for that adapter?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by asavage

At first, the dealer couldn't find a listing for that under-the-bolt-head o-ring, but when I showed the SOHC drawing, he used that group number to find it. This was sufficiently difficult to figure out, that I'm posting it for future Googlers.

Adapter Filter Adapter Mounting Bolt o-ring:
E9TZ-6749-A ---- 26.5mm

Internal seal o-ring:
E3TZ-6749-A ---- 17mm (or Victor Reinz 72115)

Oil filter adatper-to-block:
Fel-Pro 72884
Inside Diameter (In): 2.482 Inch
Width (In): 0.141 Inch
Thanks for posting this. I'm getting ready to do this on my Explorer. I had noticed that Rock Auto had three o-rings with no worthwhile description about what went where. I was going to order all three because of the price. They're so cheap that if I didn't need one, it was no big deal. But, if I did need one and didn't have it when I needed it, it would have been rather inconvenient.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:04 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asavage
So, now that I kind of know what I'm fighting (I have the too-typical oil weep at those o-rings above), I have a question for those of you who may have already been down this road.

I am installing a dual-filter remote (one full-flow, one bypass) in the usual location of outside the right frame rail. I assume that I can remove the OEM oil filter adapter entirely and bolt my filter adapter directly to the block, but that I'll need the double-ended threaded insert that screws in the block, and to which an oil filter would normally thread. Something similar to this:

Does anybody know either the 4.0l OHV's thread size/pitch, or a part number for that adapter?

Did you already buy the kit? Are you going to keep the factory adapter?

If you are going to keep the adapter, and relocation kit is for a 5.0/5.8L, it will work sense they take the same FL1A filter.

As for the 5L2Z-6894-AA "special" bolt that goes into the block to hold the adapter to the block, I could not tell you, Ford does not list size.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mine too has been leaking! it's not the oil filter, the leak is coming from above, from the adapter, so it must be the o rings or the gasket. Looks like an easy job during an oil & filter change. Thanks to this information and part numbers I already found the parts;

found FelPro 72884 Gasket and E3TZ-6749-A O Ring at Advance Auto Parts for $3.00 + tax

found E9TZ-6749-A O-ring at eBay for $4.11 delivered.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:01 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 93nighthawk
Did you already buy the kit? Are you going to keep the factory adapter?
Yes, I'm bought one of the AMSOil kits that have a spin-on bypass filter as well as a full-flow.

If you are going to keep the adapter, and relocation kit is for a 5.0/5.8L, it will work sense they take the same FL1A filter.
Right, any kit that uses the venerable 51515 filter . . .

As for the 5L2Z-6894-AA "special" bolt that goes into the block to hold the adapter to the block, I could not tell you, Ford does not list size.
It seems likely that it's a common size, but I thought I'd tap those of you who might have already been down this road. I may visit a JY and pull one for reference.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
there are 3 o-rings, not two.

the large o-ring between the block & adapter, and then there are two o-rings in the adapter's Center Bolt. one medium, one medium-large.

The job is a piece of cake, you need to remove the Oil Filter and drain the old oil, then a 3/4" socket with a large ratcket to remove the adapter's Bolt in the center, and a 13mm long socket to remove the "securing bolt" on the side, which seems redundant because there is a protrusion on the block itself which meets with a "locating leg" on the adapter's housing and prevents it from going anywhere.

my 3 o-rings were "cooked", hardened by heat and age.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jose A.
there are 3 o-rings, not two.
Right, the Ford OHV illustration is wrong, but the dealer was able to find the part No. when I supplied him the SOHC pic., which has the group number.

Originally Posted by Jose A.
my 3 o-rings were "cooked", hardened by heat and age.
Yup, I imagine that they all are by this time.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
The block is 3/4-16, apparently.

As I didn't have the correct block-to-filter adapter bushing today, I went ahead and just replaced the three o-rings. The orange one was the leaker -- not much, but enough that I'd have a drop after 5k miles. The green one was not hard nor leaking. The black intermediate one was friable and broke in pieces when I just looked hard at it.

So, I need a 3/4"-16 x 3/4"-16 bushing.

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

These last two pics are me proving to myself that the OEM adapter bolt is the same size as the filter, which is 3/4"-16. Saved me the work of getting out my thread pitch gauge and dial calipers

Click HERE for larger

Click HERE for larger

Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Somerowl
New User
Good day sir,
Do you need to remove the exhaust manifold on the SOHC to make this happen?
Thanks,

Quick Reply: 95 4.0 oil leak