Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior User

DR JOE is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to increase fuel mileage

Hello Gents,

I have a 2001 F250 PS crewcab 4X4 auto, the motor is stock other than the add on of 4" exhaust and a Buldog chip set at 65hp and a AFE stage 1 air filter. I am getting 14 to 15 mpg and would like to know what others have done to increase there mileage. I would like to get 20+ mpg if that is at all possiable???

I would like to know what you have done and the mileage that you are getting, yes I know that everyone drive different ect; just want some ideas is all.

Thanks Doc.

Add on's 6637 air filter mod, Full 4" exhaust and a Bull Dog chip set at 65 hp.

TIRE SMOKIN, NOS PURGIN AND TURBO'S SCREAMING THAT IS PMRA DRAG RACING.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
PMS: an obsession

HighOctane has a very good reputation on FTE.HighOctane has a very good reputation on FTE.HighOctane has a very good reputation on FTE.HighOctane has a very good reputation on FTE.
DP Tuner, better intake and exhaust, EPBV tube clean out, and make sure your fuel bowl isn't leaking with those pesky drain valve o-rings.
Ryan PAA#69

2002 F-350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto, John Wood Trans, GTP38R, F-650 Dash, the list goes on....
Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
been a lot of discussion on subject RPMs 2000 or less,filters,right foot diet,proper tire inflation
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Tire inflation & size. my next set will be 255/85R16's (stock is 265/75R16) so the footprint is almost the same, but they are about 2" taller.

Also, keep your speed down! And if you can take a route with some wind protection, do it. Our trucks have the aerodynamics of a mildly smoothed-over brick.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Doc, this new fuel ULSD is killing our mpg, also the winter fuel is taking mpg away also. As said above, the right mods working together will help. The right foot has the most say so about mpg.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
Check your up pipes, and all boots along the intake tract as well.

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Also, keep your speed down! And if you can take a route with some wind protection, do it. Our trucks have the aerodynamics of a mildly smoothed-over brick.
But like the old F-4 Phantoms, If you give a brick enough thrust, it WILL fly.

14-15mpg is actually pretty good for an 8000# truck, you've got the basics, now its just time to refine them. if you are like most of us and have an aggressive tire pattern, that adds to rolling resistance. Google Dave Whitmyer (sp) and look at some of the mods he has done, he is getting about 24-26mpg, you'll see why when you find some of his pics.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Junior User

whitenight2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well there is always the option that if its not turbo charged yet that installing one ill improve millage i know that it did for a friend of mine went from 15 to 22 hope that helps
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Senior User

Marty86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenight2
Well there is always the option that if its not turbo charged yet that installing one ill improve millage i know that it did for a friend of mine went from 15 to 22 hope that helps
Welcome to FTE!
My assumption would be that you don't know a lot about PSD's, as they've been turbocharged from the factory since 1994. His is a 2001. You might want to edit your signature and tell us what you are driving so we'll know.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Elder User

4X4 IN REFUGIO is starting off with a positive reputation.
slow down=better fuel milage
H&S XRT Pro
DPF Removed/Deleted
High Idle Mod
Old 01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Junior User

whitenight2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
aye i wasn't for sure when exatly the started doing that no i know thanks for informing me of this i learned something new to day.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenight2
aye i wasn't for sure when exatly the started doing that no i know thanks for informing me of this i learned something new to day.
On occassion even the old hands learn something new....and I sure ain't one of 'em!!! Welcome to FTE!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Locomotive breath

DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.
Put a bed cover on, good for another 1-1 1/2 mpg.
2001 crew-cab DRW auto, 4x4, Gauges, 4" exhaust, Walker BTM, in-tank and pre-pump mods, Riffraff FRx, I/C boots. Ford AIS, LED mod, CCV mod, bellowed up-pipes, wicked wheel and other stuff. Life is good, Romans 5:8
Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Elder User

piotrsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
rounded back camper shell with a inflatable boot, load range "F" tires @ 90 psi, lower it a couple of inches, air dam on the nose, ground effect side skirts, wheel well spats, winterfront,,, ad nauseum for aerodynamics

most of the UBERMILERS
basically have to relearn their driving skills to get better than 10% improvement.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior User

Spamjohnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
#1 Slow down, under 2000 is a must, the lower the better
#2 Make sure the front hubs are unlocked
#3 Make sure the air conditioning isn't on, Face/Off/Floor is the only positions it's not on.
#4 No lifts, No big tires, No stuff hanging from the truck
#5 Get the truck warm ASAP, you are warming 15 quarts of oil, and the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve cost about 3 MPG when in operation.
#6 No idling, Idling equals zero MPG.
#7 No having fun, accelerating an 8000 pound truck isn't good for mileage. Anticipate the lights etc, so you don't have to slow down.

Other than making sure the engine is running properly that should cover it.
02TDIJettaWagon
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 73l, bull, bulldog, chip, chips, dog, dp, f250, ford, fuel, increase, mileage, mpg, timing, truck, tuner