? for dusty

Old 02-27-2002, 07:25 PM
swampystumps
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for dusty

what did it cost to swap the cummins in-
how did ya find one?
did ya buy a complete wrecked truck and strip it?
how tall/wide is a cummins - is it taller/wider than the 460?
did ya have to make oil pan/hood mods to get it ta fit??
thanks swampy in carolina

Old 02-28-2002, 01:46 AM
ddestruel
Senior User
? for dusty

It took me 4 months of finding and mix matching parts, and some crossmember modifications to fit it in there. I made some mistakes when buying parts and pieces.
The motor is back out right now, we had an oil pan leak. Over all price wise it ran about $6600 to convert, but i sold all my 460 stuff for $3200. I bought the motor from canada with a automatic behind it that way she hadnt been over reved, it had 70000 miles on it, barely broke in. Bought the five speed as a new rebuild from standard trannys in Texas and pieced the rest together through a wrecking yard in Spokane Washington, Spaldings....... They carry complete motors trannys and t-case and they might know somebody in your neck of the woods.
I recomend next time though especially if you do it, buy a complete wrecked 4x4 or at least the engine bell and flywheel, Avoid the Trannys unless you know its history. 5 Speeds behind diesels are notorious for being abused especially the OD gear.
Check Ebay there are several Engines on right now also call your local wreckers many of them have conversion preped motors that are tested and warranteed.
Look for a 4x4 because the Dodge mounts marry up to the ford cross member easier than the 2x4 which i had, Use the Dodge alternator and AC pump and find a really good local welder to cut back about 6 inches of the pass side front of the cross member then reweld in some plates and truss the backside. That way you can easily go pick up a belt, AC pump, or Alternator. A Friend of mine Owns a welding shop up here that specializes in custom creations like this so he has been instrumential in its rebirth. We started out using Ford Alternators and AC assemblies and have had nothing but headaches, looking into changing back right now.
I will have to measure the cummins for your but yes it is longer and taller than the 460 but it does fit and quite well i might add. It sits lower in the compartment slightly than the 460 did (the EFI 460 Lower Intake manifold is about where the 12V valve covers went). The Oil pan was fine the only mods were to the cross member. I even used the ford Tranny cross member and ZF 5spd tranny mount, then took a piece of 1x2 tubing and made a spacer/ adapter to marry them together. The Hood is quite aways from the turbo and valve covers, we did wrap the AC/ Heater condensor box with some Asbestos sheets to keep heat down, then used the factory thermal wrap to hide the treasure underneath. The Fan is really close to the stock Radiator, about 3/4 of an inch on the top and 1.5 on the bottom, the ford support was tilted. I ended up getting a local Industrial Radiator builder to make me a 5 core. The Dodge intercooler fits into your radiator support with minor mods.

Was it worth it yes, would i do it again not in my life time .... I hope. Do i recommend it yes i do, just buy a complete engine with mounts, youll spend less time hunting around.

Hope this helps some Ill post more latter
Dusty

Why Buy new when you can build and tailor it cheaper?
F-350 4x4 ext cab Short Bed Green Monster, it is now Sporting a 300HP 715lb/ft Dyno rated 5.9L 12v Cummins diesel w/ NV4500 5spd and custom NP205 ford T-case w/ rear spicer 1410 yoke, Converted to Sterling 10.5 gears w/3.73 gears using the 41 spline pinion and 1410 U-Joints, Power-Lok equipt Dana 60 front, 33's on 16x8" Outlaw II's. (Used to have)205000 miles, Mass air 460 w/ performance heads and a E40d to 5spd conversion and Doug Thorleys. Old EFI 460 @10 MPG to the 12 V @ 23.2 MPG @ 75 MPH and loving it.
My other toy is a '69 CJ-5 354 Hemi 4 spd 4.88's 32x12.50 MThompsons w/ power-lok 44 rear.

Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 AM
swampystumps
5th Wheeling
? for dusty

thanks for the info- i'm looking to put it in a motorhome it should make economic sense when the 460 wears out- hey if i have to pull my motor anyway.... i already have a monster radiator- my x-member should be no prob- hope the dogbox will not need mods, the biggest deal will be the time-and $-thanks again- swampy

Old 02-28-2002, 10:43 AM
ddestruel
Senior User
? for dusty

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Feb-02 AT 11:44 AM (EST)]If you want to use the E40D www.fordcummins.com has adapters, or if you check out ebay like i was saying, there is an Heavy Duty version married to an Allison fourspeedHD from a delivery rig, might be worth looking into, on top of that an inframe rebuild for the cummins is around $500 do that and never look back.

Why Buy new when you can build and tailor it cheaper?
F-350 4x4 ext cab Short Bed Green Monster, it is now Sporting a 300HP 715lb/ft Dyno rated 5.9L 12v Cummins diesel w/ NV4500 5spd and custom NP205 ford T-case w/ rear spicer 1410 yoke, Converted to Sterling 10.5 gears w/3.73 gears using the 41 spline pinion and 1410 U-Joints, Power-Lok equipt Dana 60 front, 33's on 16x8" Outlaw II's. (Used to have)205000 miles, Mass air 460 w/ performance heads and a E40d to 5spd conversion and Doug Thorleys. Old EFI 460 @10 MPG to the 12 V @ 23.2 MPG @ 75 MPH and loving it.
My other toy is a '69 CJ-5 354 Hemi 4 spd 4.88's 32x12.50 MThompsons w/ power-lok 44 rear.