2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

4-wheelin in the Expy

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-wheelin in the Expy

Ok, since I broached the topic in the "lift" thread, I figger's I'd see who's been wheelin in their new Expy???

I traded an '05 Excursion on my new EL and cant wait to get it on some Colorado trails. You'd think an Excursion would suck on the trail just because of its length, but interestingly enough it was actually quite a capable trail rig. Other than being restricted by its width a couple times, I was able to get it everywhere that I could get my 2 Grand Cherokee's (both with 2" lifts).

It'll be interesting to see how the IFS/IRS and traction control affect the Expy's trailability. Wheel travel will be nothing compared to the solid axle Jeeps and Excursion, so it should be interesting to see how well the traction control keeps it moving with only 2 or 3 wheels on the ground.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
My 03 and my Friends 07 are both very good off road. I took my 03 up a 30% angle to the point the front end was popping off the ground.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 AM
scottjima
Cross-Country
My 04 4x4 EX did well off-road on CO trails. My limiting factor was the ground clearance... I took it through some "Jeep" trails between Creede and Silverton... Good tires are important...

Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I very much agree that the tires seem to make some vehicles much more capable than they look on paper and even in person.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by IQ9
I very much agree that the tires seem to make some vehicles much more capable than they look on paper and even in person.
I couldnt agree more! Thats why I cant believe that companies like Ford and Jeep sell what would otherwise be quite capable 4x4's with the tires they usually do. I think the last vehicle I bought new with a decent set of tires on it was my '90 Bronco. Everything since then, I've had to drop $$$ within the first month to put decent skins on it.

I think the worst ones I've run into so far are the Wrangler SRA's on a Grand Cherokee and the BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on my Excursion. Both were down right scary on wet roads (the BFG's were the first and only tire I've hydroplaned on in over 20 years of driving)... and forget snow... ugh!

In spite of their mild appearance, I actually have to say that I've been impressed with the Pirelli Scorpion STR-A's on my Expy... for what they are anyway. They're going away soon, but in my couple trips up to the mountains this month they actually did pretty well in the snow (likely more a function of the traction control than the tires). I just worry about hydroplaning on them due to the solid shoulder tread -- and I'm pretty sure that I'd tear 'em up on the rocks once the snow clears on my favorite trails.

I'm leaning towards Bridgestone A/T Revo's in a 265/70-18. Just a touch taller and a touch wider than my stock skins... and the Revo has been by far the best A/T I've ever run, in all conditions.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I put those on my Titan before I sold it. The Revos are great but I still liked the Terra Grapplers that truck had before the Revos went on. I was running 285/50/18 on the Titan and the Grapplers were OUTSTANDING. I am waiting for Nitto to get the 275/55/20 to tire retailers so I can get them. I like Scorpions but they are not AT tires and I need the extra grip. Enjoy the Revo's...I know they will make you smile.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 AM
rich93cw
Senior User
"I couldnt agree more! Thats why I cant believe that companies like Ford and Jeep sell what would otherwise be quite capable 4x4's with the tires they usually do."

Why would they want a vehicle to perform badly for the majority of customers? You know that most 4x4 vehicles are lucky if they experience more than accidentally backing off the driveway onto the front lawn. So why are you so surprised. The Pirellis are probably the best tire for an Expy for every thing it will ever do for Fords customers, except for the people why have written messages in this thread, not counting me.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
rich93cw
Senior User
Originally Posted by rich93cw
"I couldnt agree more! Thats why I cant believe that companies like Ford and Jeep sell what would otherwise be quite capable 4x4's with the tires they usually do."

Why would they want a vehicle to perform badly for the majority of customers? You know that most 4x4 vehicles are lucky if they experience more than accidentally backing off the driveway onto the front lawn. So why are you so surprised. The Pirellis are probably the best tire for an Expy for every thing it will ever do for Fords customers, except for the people why have written messages in this thread, not counting me.
Oh, why then did I get a 4x4? Well, when my '93 Club Wagon towing my Travel Trailer, failed in the hills of southwest West Virginia, the only non-pickup vehicle at the Ford dealership that could tow the trailer was the Expy, and there were only 3 of those in an enormous sea of pickups. There were no passenger vans. So, not wanting a red Expy, and the silver Expy EL that I wished I could buy already having a deposit on it, I settled on the only vehicle that would get my family home. So far its been a good purchase, but I really miss the versatility of a passenger van. The 4x4 part will get used when I go boondocking with the trailer or my boat, but I have no doubt that my Club Wagon with a posi-rear would perform just as well for my needs.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
IQ9
Senior User
If you don't want to be counted in this thread why respond at all?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 PM
rich93cw
Senior User
Well, I thought that beating up Ford for not putting off road tires on a highway vehicle was a little much. Granted, they should have an option for o/r tires, though, although I suspect that they wouldn't pass the federal handling and stopping tests.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by rich93cw
Why would they want a vehicle to perform badly for the majority of customers?
Perform badly? Because of a good set of A/T tires (I was never talking about off-road tires)?!? I would venture that the "majority of customers" wouldnt know the difference. I would also venture that the overwhelming "majority of customers" use tires on "stock" vehicles that are purchased either because of price or mileage warranty (or maybe looks), and not based on any actual understanding of performance characteristics.

I'll give you that a high-dollar highway tire might give a perceptibly nicer ride and negligibly better fuel mileage as compared to a high quality A/T. Neither of which is going to be noticeable to the "average" driver. However, I'd guess that just about anybody you talk to who's actually compared the performance of a highway/all-season tire to a good A/T in any condition found on a roadway, they'd go with an A/T if price was no issue. I'm not even talking about off-road performance, because that's not even a comparison.

Every 4x4 vehicle I've purchased in the past 18 years has come with "street" tires on it that I gave a fair chance, but opted to swap out of as a direct result of some performance deficiency that has 'always' been corrected by going with a good set of A/T's. At anywhere from $800-1000 a set, its not a move I've made several times "just because."

Its obviously a personal opinion and neither of us is right or wrong, I just take acception to the suggestion that a good set of A/T tires would cause a vehicle to "perform badly." Everything is a trade off, and it just depends on which tire traits fit your bill. If the Scorpion's or Crappynentals that came on your Expy fit your needs, then great -- they dont fit mine. In fact, they might just be down right dangerous (by comparison to an A/T) in some of the on-road conditions I find myself in here in Colorado.

Last edited by nebmike; 01-21-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 AM
IQ9
Senior User
Great points guys. I can see both sides alot better now.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i can comment on this. When I bought my Expedition last February or March it had the crappy continental tires on it. The day I went to pickup the truck it had been raining constantly all day long. The Brand new conti's were horrible, they were sliding all over the place (hydroplaning), I took the truck back in and told them to swap out my almost brand new Nitto Terra Grapplers off my old explorer (same size 265/70/r17 I had uped the size on the explorer and I probably only had 3 to 5K on the tires on them, not to mention how poorly the BF Goodrich rugged terrain tires that came standard on the explorer were). OMG what a difference when I left the dealership. Not only did the truck ride smoother, I actually had traction on the road. Yes conti's might last 50K miles, but I believe those 50K miles can be pretty dangerous driving such a crappy tire. The side wall in those tires flexed way to much causing the expediton to lean more than normal. The Nittos changed the way the truck drives for the better.

The tires the manufacturer's use are the tires they can get the best deal on. They sure as hell aren't going to put the "best tires" on a new truck, because it would cost them more money. My Nitto Terra Grapplers only cost me $540 balanced and installed. Not bad for a very good performing tire.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
rich93cw
Senior User
I had the same issue with my used '96 Vette. It had Goodyear Gatorbacks, that wore like iron, but were slippery when wet, and dry. I changed them out for four Nitto NT-555 drag radials. Wow, good in wet and dry, but only 15k mile life. They were way way better in handling, much quiter and smoother. But, I have to replace them every two years. Just like you, I use the vehicle in ways that the typical buyer doesn't. So, again, Ford or GM should not be faulted for the OEM tires. We just need to change them out, sell them, and get the tires that we want. Oh, ebay, where are you?