Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Anyone working on their trucks this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone working on their trucks this winter?

Anyone doing any projects on their truck this winter?

Not me, mine's just sitting in the driveway collecting snow. Not even parked inside at the farm this winter. I'm busier with my house, getting it rewired, putting in new kitchen flooring, planning a bathroom redo etc...

Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
98 nascartruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have nothing major planned BUT do have a few things I would like to do to mine. That is get the front bumper painted(AGAIN-stone chips), do a real good cleaning of the wheels and maybe some Lightning headlight & covers!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
cl8ton
Senior User
Changed the plugs and wires, cleaned the throttle body and injectors. Thats all until March when the oil change is due. Then. I am planning on doing something with the rusting rims and (maybe) look for a brush bar

Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Got the "get up and go" part in order so this winter is the "whoa". Danny Cabral did an excellent article on upgrading brakes on late 70's trucks and bronco's, I have a pile of the parts collected with the front cross drilled rotors and hydroboost left to order. The truck is in storage on the lift at the shop I keep it at so we can't start swapping parts until late April. Also get to bolt on my new license plate; N2O Ford.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Not much with my truck. I have done a bunch of things to it in the last couple months though. Mostly wiring and adding a bunch of weight to the front and back (snow plow and tailgate salter).

Will be working on my Dad's trucks if they need to be repaired. Probably doing plugs and wires on one of them next week.

-Matt

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 AM
ns_redneck
Senior User
i am doing a dana 60 swap under my 1979 ford f-150. geting it ready for the mud in the spring. i hope to go 42 inch boggers. and mabey another 6 inchs of lift.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
A Couple of different things

Recieved the complete carpet for my 79 Green Bronco for christmas but that won't be going in until spring so I can clean seal and dyna mat the entire floor. The first thing coming at warmer weather is new Timing chain and gears to set the timing from 4degree retarded to 0 or 4 degrees advanced and new heater motor and heater core, water pump and HEI distributor.

Also got the replacement dash pad for the Green Bronco.

The Resto one in my garage Black 1978 Lariot Ranger I will be mounting air tire trailer jacks (4) onto the front door pillars and the back tailgate mounts so I can take the body off the frame and work on the frame I just picked those up today from Princess Auto.

Rick.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Where'd you get the carpet, Rick? Is it costly or reasonable?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
I gotta change the belt on mine in the next day or two, the chirping has got to point where nothing will help it and just turning up the radio to drown it out means causing myself to go deaf from the volume of the music

Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
I got the carpet from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard.

Originally Posted by loudfords
Where'd you get the carpet, Rick? Is it costly or reasonable?
They delivered it by US Postal service USPS(YOU must request it shipped this way it takes longer but it will save you $60 to $100 in Brokerage fees) *NOT UPS* very important.

Because US Postal service charged about the same as UPS around $49 but US postal service does not charge Brokerage fees UPS DOES.

Once it gets to Canada Post they add a $5 service charge and GST and PST and that's it to get it to your house.

My Carpet was $205 + $49 US Postal service + $5 Canada Post service charge + around $30 in GST/PST taxes for a grand total of $289.

Now that carpet is the complete *ACC* carpet kit including wheel wells and Floor and cargo area.

From *ACC* direct the same carpet before delivery and taxes and handling it was around $380.00, so the Jeffs Bronco Graveyard carpet deal is a pretty good deal and it's the exact same carpet because they order it from ACC when you give them the order it even has ACC labels and packaging on it when it arrives at your door.

One other thing you will have to pay Canada post cash for the $5 service fee and GST/PST when they deliver it to your door or you may have to pick it up at your local post office.

And remember my carpet was for a FullSize 1978 Big Bronco if you are just carpeting a regular cab f150 pickup the carpet is only $96 before taxes and shipping up to $135 for a crew cap.

IMO the carpet was excellent and the price was really to my liking and the customer service was great very helpful and not rushed answered all my questions.

And one other thing BroncoGraveyard is a FTE sponsor on the FTE Bronco Chapter.

Cheers Rick.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the info Rick.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Stoogefan
Junior User
I've been putzing around a bit with the timing, as well as trying to get the carb set up. Poor old girls' been running like a tank lately, but I just can't seem to get `er to purrr. Timing's fine, but I haven't set up a carb since grade 9 auto ...think I've forgotten a few things in the last 22 yrs. lol

Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 AM
56wannabe
New User
Was there no duty charge?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Because of Free trade there is no Duty Charge.

For almost anything manufactured in Canada USA or Mexico.

Making a good deal into a great deal IMHO.

Rick.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
About a month ago bored nothing to do so........

I got to thinking my Broncos are terrible on fuel and weighs a couple of tons.

Now I've already installed the new Edilbrock Avenger 4 barrel 650 carb(works great) and with that Headers(Long not shorties) as well as full duel high flow exhaust.

Now I get to thinking I will be changing the 203 transfer case for a 205 about 200lbs lighter but thats big dollars and much work and will have to wait until I have the funds and the weather is a lot warmer.

So how do I increase the performance and fuel economy I ask myself.

Answer: Better ignition system.

I think well I always hear folks talking about the HEI conversion and MSD.
Now we have much studying to do, so off I go looking on the internet and calling and speaking to suppliers and tech folks as well as racers and such.

Well I found the HEI conversion too expensive and didn't sound very good after reading all the short falls it comes with and there are a lot.

Still looking I found something called the TFI conversion for $100 WOW.

It is basically updating your Oil filled 1978/1979 coil to a TFI coil (2 and a half times more powerful than the oil filled coil) found on all OBD1 ford cars and trucks (guess who has one in his garage?) LOL.

So basically you update to the TFI coil and install 8mm spirol wound sparkplug wires, as well as the best brass terminal cap you can buy make sure you have the highest cap distributor spacer and good copper core spark plugs.

This was I told will give you a good quality ignition spark.

Now if you want the ultimate you also get rid of the Dura spark and install a MSD 6A box for continous spark firing up to 20% crank.

Doing this job and updating the timing gears to "0" degrees from "4" degrees retarded should really wake up this 351M of mine.

Come on April and warmer weather.

Rick.

Last edited by Red Ford Truck; 01-26-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone working on their trucks this winter?