6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Has anyone really had their TPMS adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone really had their TPMS adjusted?

My dealer says the Tire Pressure Monitoring System warning thresholds cannot be adjusted. I hate running 80lbs in the rear tires. 65/65 would be better. I don't tow that often only when i move my tractor somewhere. Can anyone report that thier TPMS has been adjusted? Any techs on this forum that can shed some light on the subject?

Thanks, Delfino

Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by DelfinoTX
My dealer says the Tire Pressure Monitoring System warning thresholds cannot be adjusted. I hate running 80lbs in the rear tires. 65/65 would be better. I don't tow that often only when i move my tractor somewhere. Can anyone report that thier TPMS has been adjusted? Any techs on this forum that can shed some light on the subject?

Thanks, Delfino
There should be instructions in your OM how to adjust them. This information is aviable in the event you change rims or have tire work done.

Last edited by SANDDEMON08; 01-16-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
Oh man, so many people get this confused.. no offense ok..

The "relearning" with the learning tool is just so the system relearns the positions of the tires in relation to front/back. On these trucks the computer/reciever will always look for 80lbs in the rear and 65lbs in the front... if you rotate the tires you have to make the TPMS reciever relearn the positions... You cannot change the PSI warning thresholds with the learning tool.... impossible...

Some have said they have had thier dealer adjust the warning thresholds and I am trying to find out it its true or not..

Old 01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Do all this 08's have this? I found mine only had about 45 pounds in them never saw any warning. The truck is a XLT FX4 with a 3/07 build date

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
TPMS started on Job2 Trucks. Here is a snip from another post.

JOB 2 ORDER GUIDE UPDATES – Effective on all vehicles built on or after Job 2 (07/30/07 – Subject to change)

• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is now standard

• Reverse Camera System (76V) is now optional on XLT, FX4 and Lariat. It includes a reverse camera mounted in tailgate handle bezel and video display contained in interior rear-view mirror. (Requires 90D Power Seats)

• The Harley-Davidson™ Ford F-Series Super Duty® (17H) is back, available on Lariat Crew Cabs. It has a Black monotone exterior or a new unique Black and Vintage Copper two-tone. The interior has black accents, black and dusted copper leather two-tone seats, black and dusted copper leather on the steering wheel, center console lid, and door trim. See the Packaged Options Page for all package contents.

• The Chrome Package (17C) is now available on XLT, FX4 and Lariat SuperCabs and Crew Cabs. It contains a unique chrome billet-style grille, chrome exhaust tip, chrome tow hooks, chrome mirror caps, chrome pickup bed tie-down hooks, and 5" chrome tubular step bars and requires the PowerScope™ Trailer Tow Mirrors.

• The King Ranch with Chrome Package (17R) is now available on Lariat Crew Cabs. It include all the contents of the King Ranch Package, plus chrome exhaust tip, chrome tow hooks, chrome mirror caps, chrome pickup bed tie-down hooks, and 5" chrome tubular step bars.

• The self-dimming rear-view mirror standard on Lariat now includes an integrated compass

• The PowerScope™ Trailer Tow Mirrors (54F) are optional on XLT SuperCab and Crew Cab only and require the Advanced Security Group.

• The Fleet Only Dual Beam Jewel Effect Headlamp option (59R) incl. the underhood service lamp.

• The Advanced Security Group (60F) now includes an auto unlock feature.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Well when Ford buys mine back, I will get some of those options on my next one!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Oh man, so many people get this confused.. no offense ok..

The "relearning" with the learning tool is just so the system relearns the positions of the tires in relation to front/back. On these trucks the computer/reciever will always look for 80lbs in the rear and 65lbs in the front... if you rotate the tires you have to make the TPMS reciever relearn the positions... You cannot change the PSI warning thresholds with the learning tool.... impossible...

Some have said they have had thier dealer adjust the warning thresholds and I am trying to find out it its true or not..
The information i refer to is directly out of the Ford service manual

Principles of Operation

NOTE: The smart junciton box (SJB) is also referred to as the generic electronic module (GEM).

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency signals, to the SJB. TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressures must be adjusted and the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate.

For vehicles with the same tire pressures for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system.

If you are having trouble i would have the dealer adjust it, the process is quiet lenghty. The dealer has detailed information how to adjust. If they can't i would seek out another dealer.

Last edited by SANDDEMON08; 01-16-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 AM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
The process is quite lengthy? So you've read or seen the procedure? Would you mind posting that info or PM me? Really dude, this would help a lot of people.. Or at least tell me if changing the low-pressure limits is in the service manual.. I'll buy my own and take the info to the dealer...

Thanks, Delfino

Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
My truck is a job 2 build date October, 2007, on the door. When I took delivery, all six tires had 50 psi. I raised the pressure to requirement on doors which is 75 psi front and 60 psi on each tire rear. NO LIGHTS. Nothing light up. Could a fuse be out?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
My truck is a job 2 build date October, 2007, on the door. When I took delivery, all six tires had 50 psi. I raised the pressure to requirement on doors which is 75 psi front and 60 psi on each tire rear. NO LIGHTS. Nothing light up. Could a fuse be out?
Dual rear wheel trucks do not have this.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Thanks NS F250. My salesman swore up and down the tires were checked when I took delivery and the tires were properly inflated because the warning lights came on. Isn't amazing what fiction runneth from a salesman. Wouldn't it have been easier for him to have just told the TRUTH???? Gwinett Ford in Macon, GA BTW.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

The process is quite lengthy? So you've read or seen the procedure? Would you mind posting that info or PM me? Really dude, this would help a lot of people.. Or at least tell me if changing the low-pressure limits is in the service manual.. I'll buy my own and take the info to the dealer...

Thanks, Delfino
The low pressure is based on the learned pressure. When the moniter sees 7 PSI diffrence in any tire you get a prompt from the message center. The threshold of 7 psi cannot be changed.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
NJF350SD
Elder User
Can someone define "learned pressure"??

I would like to reduce air pressure all the way around as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
the "learned pressure" is what I would like to change also..
My rear tires currently call to be inflated to 80psi.. I would like to run 65psi. that is well over the low pressure threshold... thus the warning..

I would like to start the learned pressure at 65psi and get a warning at 58psi..

DelfinoTX

Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
I just wanted to add a note on this issue (even though it's old). I have an 09 F350 SRW/CREW/LB with the 18" rims/tires and TPMS (now std). I was also annoyed by the high pressure ratings and associated settings for the TPMS. I dropped my tires down to 65/65 because the back end is too bouncy over bumps when unloaded with 80 or even 70 psi (the lowest I was able to run without the dash warning light coming on). I left the tires about 65/65 for a week (with the light coming on everytime I started and drove the truck) and the light stopped bothering me about a week later. So, I think it adjusted itself. I'll update if anything changes.

Quick Reply: Has anyone really had their TPMS adjusted?