Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Prius sales top Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not meant as a direct comparison in class. It's a comparison of what was selling then vs what is selling now. Gas guzzling SUV vs gas sipping economy car and also the increasing acceptance of hybrid technology. An up and coming vs a has been.

Not Toyota vs Ford or whatever. It could have been X hybrid vs Explorer. Perhaps soon I can post the Escape Hybrid sales top Explorer.

Mike

Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
It's not meant as a direct comparison in class. It's a comparison of what was selling then vs what is selling now. Gas guzzling SUV vs gas sipping economy car and also the increasing acceptance of hybrid technology. An up and coming vs a has been.

Not Toyota vs Ford or whatever. It could have been X hybrid vs Explorer. Perhaps soon I can post the Escape Hybrid sales top Explorer.

Mike

I understand what your saying Mike..But the bottom line is Hybrid is not in the same class as a gas guzzling SUV..

But the Hybrid Escape would be worth talking about and maybe it would be nice if you did a thread on that...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
It shows where the market is heading and where Ford needs to look.

I'd love to do a thread on Hybrid Escapes having great sales, and believe me I will when the time comes. They are up, which is good.

Off topic-I am a Ford fan, but right now they have very little to brag about. The 08 SD and Escape Hybrid is about all I have right now. FWIW, I'm also a die hard Bengals fan.

Mike

Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
It shows where the market is heading and where Ford needs to look.

I'd love to do a thread on Hybrid Escapes having great sales, and believe me I will when the time comes. They are up, which is good.

Off topic-I am a Ford fan, but right now they have very little to brag about. The 08 SD and Escape Hybrid is about all I have right now. FWIW, I'm also a die hard Bengals fan.

Mike

The Hybrid Escape is so popular we can not even get them where we live..

And one good piece advice I can say here is like the 08 Super Duty or anything new like that comes out..I stay away from until they work out all the bugs... Same goes for any product out there.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Heck with the hybrids or the rice rockets...My F150 gets about 8-13 miles per gallon, and if I have to get a second job to keep rolling, I will!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Placermike
Heck with the hybrids or the rice rockets...My F150 gets about 8-13 miles per gallon, and if I have to get a second job to keep rolling, I will!

Amen to that brother....

Old 01-15-2008, 05:59 PM
dartguy699
Senior User
i work for a car dealer 9 franchises and small cars are NOT selling like you all might think. suvs and trucks still seem to draw the most attention while small cars draw the least.the hybrids are starting to draw alot but the yuppies seem to be the buyers because it is cool not due to the savings go figure!!
jim

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have read the Hybrids are great when you do a lot of stop and go driving. When you go out on the highway, they pretty much drain all of the batteries (no stopping or slowing, no batt recharge) so you get the same economy of a regular gasser. Am I correct?
Anyway I just bought a VW Jetta which get 30 mpg, rides good, handles good, and is fun to drive. It also doesn't contain thousands of dollars worth of batteries that are supposed to eventually go bad.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
From what I have read the Hybrids are great when you do a lot of stop and go driving. When you go out on the highway, they pretty much drain all of the batteries (no stopping or slowing, no batt recharge) so you get the same economy of a regular gasser. Am I correct?
Anyway I just bought a VW Jetta which get 30 mpg, rides good, handles good, and is fun to drive. It also doesn't contain thousands of dollars worth of batteries that are supposed to eventually go bad.

I have a 2003 Explorer and get 20mpg and just enough room to carry my cargo for my work

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
You are pretty much correct. Hybrids ( Escape anyways ) really shine in the city with the stop and go driving. You have to be pretty gentle on the go pedal to keep the gas motor from kicking in though. ( when accelerating ). The electric motor is good to about 35 mph and then back to the gas motor.

As for draining the batteries on the highway, I'm not too sure about that. I didn't have our Escape ( work vehicle ) out on the highway for an extended period of time.

I know on the highway they do get the same economy than the gassers. Maybe even alittle less with the CVT ( I think it's called that ) transmission.
It revs at 2300 ish @ 60 mph.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by dartguy699
i work for a car dealer 9 franchises and small cars are NOT selling like you all might think. suvs and trucks still seem to draw the most attention while small cars draw the least.the hybrids are starting to draw alot but the yuppies seem to be the buyers because it is cool not due to the savings go figure!!
jim
And wait until they replace the Batteries and where would the savings be there..

And not to mention the fact of the waste fee on those batteries...

Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ididntdoit99
fine... everybody go buy a prius, save the gas for those of us who want to drive a real vehical
So what is wrong with saving gas?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
F250Wildman
Senior User
What are the dangers of the batteries in a major crash and even to the enviroment if they rupture??

Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F250Wildman
What are the dangers of the batteries in a major crash and even to the enviroment if they rupture??
Depends, I don't think NiMH is that bad, but if they are lithium batteries, it could be disasterous, the whole car would go up in a giant fireball of toxic fumes.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by F250Wildman

From what I have heard that they are the Firefighters nightmare..I was told that like 2 yearsago and I do not know if that has changed...

Nice question I liked it..

Quick Reply: Prius sales top Explorer