Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Prius sales top Explorer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/694684-prius-sales-top-explorer.html)

BLK94F150 01-12-2008 06:08 PM

Prius sales top Explorer
 
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...dExplorer.aspx

I think it's about time for Ford to start upping the ante a little and start selling what people want-fuel efficiency.

Mike

Lead Head 01-13-2008 10:42 AM

Is the Prius even in the same class as an explorer?

BLK94F150 01-13-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead Head
Is the Prius even in the same class as an explorer?

No, but I think you've missed the point.

Mike

gustav129 01-13-2008 03:28 PM

I thought I was going crazy. I could have sworn I posted in this thread.

But there is a second one in the General Auto forum.

Like I said before, my Civic gets better gas mileage than that prius will ever get.

ididntdoit99 01-13-2008 05:25 PM

fine... everybody go buy a prius, save the gas for those of us who want to drive a real vehical

DMAX-HD 01-14-2008 01:11 PM

We traded up for an Toyota Camry Hybrid over a year ago and saved about $1500 in gas compared to our Trailblazer. Having to smalll children we were a little leary giving up the space but thr reality of it is that the family hauler is used 99% of the time for passanger hauling - nothing more. The creature comforts are similiar if not better. Anything else - we all pile into the truck. So to say your going to drive a 'real vehcle' I say go ahead it's your $1500.00 a year.

Savings is compared 18mpg vs. 38mpg

jimandmandy 01-14-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ididntdoit99
fine... everybody go buy a prius, save the gas for those of us who want to drive a real vehical

That is the point of CAFE, Fleet Average Economy. Its just that Ford seems to be way slow to the US market with small cars people WANT and too heavy with full-frame SUV's that most people currently dont want.

I would be glad to drive a 50mpg turbodiesel Euro-Focus so that you can drive a gasoline V-8 Exploder. Choice in the marketplace is still the name of the game.

Jim

ididntdoit99 01-14-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
We traded up for an Toyota Camry Hybrid over a year ago and saved about $1500 in gas compared to our Trailblazer. Having to smalll children we were a little leary giving up the space but thr reality of it is that the family hauler is used 99% of the time for passanger hauling - nothing more. The creature comforts are similiar if not better. Anything else - we all pile into the truck. So to say your going to drive a 'real vehcle' I say go ahead it's your $1500.00 a year.

Savings is compared 18mpg vs. 38mpg

man... I was joking, I carpool to work with a guy that drives a sunfire, I only drive MY vehical (f-150, not explorer) on the weekends. I pay him $780 a year, $15 a week, for gas. Then I use a little around town on the weekends.

hofuf 01-14-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
We traded up for an Toyota Camry Hybrid over a year ago and saved about $1500 in gas compared to our Trailblazer.

I'm sorry but you can't trade UP when you go from a Trailblazer to a Camry. You traded down.

hofuf 01-14-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
I would be glad to drive a 50mpg turbodiesel Euro-Focus so that you can drive a gasoline V-8 Exploder. Choice in the marketplace is still the name of the game.

Jim

Not gonna happen thanks to the EPA. Ironic really.

DMAX-HD 01-15-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hofuf
I'm sorry but you can't trade UP when you go from a Trailblazer to a Camry. You traded down.

We lost 4 wheel drive and some trunk space. Nothing else. We gained better ride, comfort, handling, mpg and most importantly $$$.

Now in 6-7 years when the kids get older all bets are off we may need space to accomadate daily activites but right now the focus is on an economical people hauler. My perception is that a lot of folks are weighing this out when purchasing a new vehicle.

BLK94F150 01-15-2008 11:17 AM

I know that our next vehicle will be a hybrid. 99% sure it's going to be an 08+ Escape 4x4. The fuel savings are worth it.

IDK why Ford can't get on board with what people want. Hybrid cars and small SUVs, and high powered trucks.

If Ford makes a hybrid AWD Fusion when we are ready to buy, we'll definitely be looking at that as well, but my wife pretty much wants an SUV.

Now to those that want "real" vehicles, I'll still have a truck. My next truck will be even bigger than the one I have now. Probably a CC, long bed SD with a V10 or diesel and all the toys. It's nice to have a 30MPG+ vehicle.

What I don't understand is why people are so anti hybrid. Is it because of the smug/hippie image that the first ones brought? Do you not want to be in the mainstream energy saving push that's happening right now? (How is that bad?)

All you are doing is recovering energy that would be lost in braking and reusing it for propulsion. If you think that's bad, let's take the turbos off the diesels. All they do is take waste hot exhaust gasses and use it to make more power.

What's that?-Hybrids cost more than regular cars? So do diesels, V10s, 4x4s, etc that 90% of you don't need. Hybrids actually get used for exactly what they were made for all the time.

Mike

sglaine 01-15-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead Head
Is the Prius even in the same class as an explorer?



Bingo... Just like Oranges is not a Steak..Not even remotely in the same class.

BLK94F150 01-15-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sglaine
Bingo... Just like Oranges is not a Steak..Not even remotely in the same class.

Whatever. You have either-

A) Also completely missed the point.

Or more likely-

B) Are just trying to make a personal dig against me for what I've said in another thread.

Either way, I'm going to go back and hang out with the adults now.

Mike

sglaine 01-15-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK94F150
Whatever. You have either-

A) Also completely missed the point.

Or more likely-

B) Are just trying to make a personal dig against me for what I've said in another thread.

Either way, I'm going to go back and hang out with the adults now.

Mike


No it is not if you were talking about Blazer or Durango VS. Explorer then it would be a worth talking about...


Comparing an Orange to a Steak is not even in the same food group..


It is not personal Mike...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.