460 won't warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
stngh8r
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 460 won't warm up?

Well, I have had vehicles that run too hot before, never one that wouldn't warm up!?

I drive about 30 miles one way and on a cold day I usually start it up a few minutes before I leave. What puzzles me is, how could this thing not warm up to operating temperature?

I thought that maybe the thermostat was stuck open, so I put a new one in. The temperature still seems too low.

The other night it was about 30*F, even after driving 30 minutes, the heater was blowing "warm" air, but not hot and the gauge would not go any higher than just below the "C" hash mark?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What temp thermostat did you install? If it's too low you will hwve tgis problem.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
stngh8r
Senior User
Originally, when I noticed that it was taking a long time to warm up, I suspected that it was stuck open or maybe the previous owner had taken it out completely, since I did purchase the truck in the summer 3 years ago. When I pulled off the housing though, it did have a 195* in it. The new one I replaced it with is a high flow Moroso 180*, I figured this would be a good time to go with it since I had wanted to put a 180* in it anyways. From what I have read, the 180* is a good performance choice and keeps the engine warm enough to not increase cylinder wear.

It may be all in my head, but I could swear that this thing didn't run so cool in the previous winters I have owned it. Maybe I should block off a portion of the radiator and see if that helps?

Does anyone know the approximate number values for the hash marks on a factory temperature gauge? I assume that the "normal" area on the gauge is just that and it shouldn't be running cooler than that, should it?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Factory temp gauges are a guess at best and worthless the rest of the time. Either a mechanical temp gauge or an infared temp gun well give you real information. The temp gun can help you troubleshoot the problem.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
werneil
Junior User
like bear says check your temp guage reading, or you may need a higher temp thermostast, or in a cold zone maybe you can reduce air flow to the radiator so long
as you dont go to far !

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
teddyu
Junior User
Be careful of the 180 thermostat. The computer will cause the engine to run faster (high idle) until the temperature comes up. Water temperature is the second in the hierarchy of inputs to the computer. I've had this problem in my 1991 460. Put the 180 in and it caused all kinds of problems including not getting hot and running at high idle. Emissions suffered too!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
stngh8r
Senior User
But, it was running too cool with the 195* before I changed it to the new 180*?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
So how is putting a cooler thermostat in going to put more heat into the motor? It can't and won't. Get a 195° (the old one will do) and put it in then start trouble shooting the temp problem. You could have a plugged heater core causing your low heater output and stock guages are know for bad readings. Rent or buy an infared temp gun and find out what temp the engine is actually running at and what the temps are at different places on the engine.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Using a high flow thermostat also wont restrict the water flow enough to alow the
water temp to increase, it's sorta like not having one in there at all.
high flows are good for like arizona, so. cal, so. texas, new mex, down there you need the extra flow due to the temp's.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
stngh8r
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
So how is putting a cooler thermostat in going to put more heat into the motor?
No, no, no, you have missed the point. I mentioned the thermostat so that you guys would know that it has been ruled out. I know that a cooler thermostat is not going to make the engine have more heat, but a working thermostat vs. a non-working thermostat, regardless of temperature rating, does.
I was simply trying to fix what I thought was a stuck thermostat. 180* is obviously 15* cooler than a 195*, that was not and is not the issue. It is not even warming up to the "C"! The problem has not worsened or improved as a result of my changing the thermostat. I realize that it is winter time and it is obviously cool here, but its not exactly the artic circle here in SE Oklahoma, I mean 30s at night and 50s during the day would be considered quite temperate and mild to most folks.

As far as the heater core thing goes, this is the good stuff, thats something that has definetly not been ruled out and not something I had thought of. That is certainly something that I want to check out next. A friend of mine has one of those guns your talking about, so I may be able to check these things you mention very soon.

Thank you for the time and advice that you all have shared

Eric <><

Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
scrap the HIGH FLOW THERMOSTAT see post #9

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM
stngh8r
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by i1dery
scrap the HIGH FLOW THERMOSTAT see post #9
I do not mean this to be argumentative in any way, but I humbly ask that you help me to better understand. If a 180* thermostat (high-flow or not) only allows water to flow at or above 180* and then closes again when temperatures are below 180*, then how would the rate of temperature increase be affected by the flow rating and characteristics of the housing?

Thank you for your insight

Eric <><

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Okay, have your point, know let me add another thing to ponder, maybe your thermoly activated fan (clutch type) is not operating correctly and not disengaging when you
have sufficient air flow through the radiator, does what I said make sense? almost
sounds confusing to me. And one more thing is the radiator core the original? if not,
maybe the guy that had it before you put one that is an extra capacity and to big for
your truck, maybe?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
stngh8r
Senior User
The fan I have wondered about. I have asked around and most say that if the fan is fully engaged all the time, it would make alot of wind noise that would be abnormal. I have not noticed that, but that doesn't exactly rule it out.

The radiator is factory stock, as far as I know. What I do know for sure is, there has not been a problem in the past 2 winters and no cooling components have been changed.

Something I did not mention before, I did check the coolant level and it does have plenty of coolant.

Thank you guys

Eric <><

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Before I replaced my fan clutch, I myself did not notice any extra noise, what I did notice was alittle less fuel mileage. well anyhow the clutch would be a good place to check, Good luck Im just outta suggestions for ya at this point.

Quick Reply: 460 won't warm up?