1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help. I lost Something

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Showpanther
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. I lost Something

I haven't worked on my 55 sence before Halloween. I got disgusted with Vintage Glass with there runaround with my one piece glass kit. And I use the word KIT loosely.
Now I have everything ( I Think) but have lost my motovation. I know some of you have had the same trouble. What did you do to get over it? I need to and want to get this thing going. But I can't get going myself.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Donnie , If I were you, I"d go thru that stack of Classic Truck mags you"ve got laying around,indulge in a couple of cold frosties as you cut out your favorite modifications and put them all in one big picture frame...something to look at ,think about,enjoy a couple"a more frosties cleaning the workspace,make a "PRIORITY" list,organize (maybe 2 or 3 times) the list.Crank your favorite tunes with more frosties and go for it!! Works for me ,..most of the time anyway...Check off those "DONE" items for motovation ,remember every little thing is PROGRESS ..even if it"s enjoying a cold Frostie wondering what to do next..good luck and stay at it!!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Work on a list of what your dream mods are. Then take a small simple one and complete it. That might get you started again. To complete something makes us feel better and not so overwhelmed with the "whole project".

I need to do the same though.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
jreilly57
Senior User
Go to a few car shows and see what other people are doing. To do a really good job, you have to be "ready", but just like checking out a few hot mamas at the mall or the beach before you take care of yur lady, looking at a couple of sweet projects sometimes gets the juices flowing if you know what I mean!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Dadsf-21952
Senior User
take alook at some of my pics. I've heard they are good motivational tools. hell before to long i will be waiting on the body and the frame will be getting driven upand down the lane. Good luck Casey.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Clean the garage to Military-like specs. With a clean garage, you can get the feeling of being a professional, and attack your task with authority. Then crank the tunes real loud.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Ah yea, the old stuck in a rut bit. Don't worry, we all have been there, just got out of there, are heading there, will be there again, etc.

What helps me is either working on a different part of the truck (different from the part that make me so frustrated in the first place)

Another thing that really helps is to take whatever it is I'm working on a break it up into smaller parts, make a list, and then slowly start plugging away at it. I'll make a list of what parts and materials I need, what steps I need to get done, etc. In exteme cases I will even set myself a deadline.

Usually it happens to me when I'm contemplating making a modification and II'm really worried about screwing it up...badly. I'll fret and worry and do entirely way too much hand wringing and procrastinating. It never fails, once I actuallly jump into it it goes fairly smooth.

Most of all....don't worry about it, its supposed to be fun (well, in the long run anyway...lol)

Bobby

Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
My truck was/is the longest-running project I've ever had. There were 6-month periods where I didn't really do anything significant. My advice is not to push yourself. It's a hobby, not a "job". If you don't feel like touching it, don't. I think people who push themselves end up selling their project when they begin to see it as a chore, then regret it a while later.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Bobby said it !!, I also find it helpful to do some head-scratching , move to a different part / end of the project and get something done there , usually wake-up in the middle of the night with the solution/fix..write it down , draw it a few different ways attack it when the oportunity arise"s...and it"s supposed to be FUN, darksider??..make it creative.. Have Fun!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Ah yea, the old stuck in a rut bit. Don't worry, we all have been there, just got out of there, are heading there, will be there again, etc.

What helps me is either working on a different part of the truck (different from the part that make me so frustrated in the first place)
I'll agree that trying to move to another part of the project works well, at least for me. If I get frustrated/tired of trying to do bodywork, I'll switch over and work on the driveline or vise versa. I know usually after I manage to accomplish a couple other tasks (even if they are small ones), I usually have the motivation to go back to whatever I was getting stuck on.

Also, I know usually after I take a break from something I got stuck on and finally get back to it, it usally goes easier.. I guess its seeing it in fresh light or something like that.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Campbell 56
Senior User
All good suggestions. I have a large white board in the kitchen right next to the door in the garage and I write down all of the things I need to do to my '56 to get it back into shape. I do one of those things until it is done and cross it off the list. I get overwhelmed easily if I just stand in the garage and think about all the stuff that needs to get done. This keeps it simple in my mind, which is a dangerous place to go without someone to help me!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
My habit is to resort to the ol' sandblast cabinet, when I'm starting to drag. I have a whole pile of parts, ready to be blasted, and since it's mostly a mindless act, I can be thinking about the next step, and my pile of "needs-to-be" slowly turns into an "already-done" pile.

Works for me...

And mine doesn't seem to need too many MAJOR things, but just EVERYthing needs at least a little attention...so, my cabinet and compressor, seem to get a lot of work!

R

Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by cmoritz
Bobby said it !!, I also find it helpful to do some head-scratching , move to a different part / end of the project and get something done there , usually wake-up in the middle of the night with the solution/fix..write it down , draw it a few different ways attack it when the oportunity arise"s...and it"s supposed to be FUN, darksider??..make it creative.. Have Fun!!!
I thought I was the only one who woke up in the middle of the night with a solution to a problem. Sometimes, I figure it out in my hottub, that's where I do some of my best thinking.

Back to the original question, when I get really burnt out, and down, I put in one of my past F100 Supernationals DVD's. To see that many F100's in one place, it's almost like Heaven But I'm big on keeping my garage CLEAN and ORGANIZED. Plus I make lots of lists!!!! Then you can cross off progress, as you get stuff done!! Soon, you'll be back in the saddle again!!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rcav8or
My habit is to resort to the ol' sandblast cabinet, when I'm starting to drag. I have a whole pile of parts, ready to be blasted, and since it's mostly a mindless act, I can be thinking about the next step, and my pile of "needs-to-be" slowly turns into an "already-done" pile.

Works for me...

And mine doesn't seem to need too many MAJOR things, but just EVERYthing needs at least a little attention...so, my cabinet and compressor, seem to get a lot of work!

R
When I'm starting to drag, I mow the lawn. Which explains why I have no grass left.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go work on a VW because you "have to". That ALWAYS restores my lost motivation to work on my projects. It also restores my resolve to never work on VWs again. Can you guess what just left my shop... Oh by the way I'm painting my Ranchero this weekend. Turn up the music and pick up a tool the motivation will return about 15-45 minutes into the job. Rich.

Quick Reply: Help. I lost Something