Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Junior User

Paul Moody is starting off with a positive reputation.
fog light switch

My 2000 powerstroke has a pull out function on the headlight switch. I currently have no fog lamps on my truck and would like to add them. Does this switch controll fog light function and is there just a wiring harness I could plug new fog lamps into? I have a 98 Expedition and this is how the factory fog lamps are switched on.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
The pull out switch should mean you have the fog light switch. Pop the switch out of the dash and use a test light/multi-meter on the wires to see where the hot wire is with the switch pulled out to the fog light position.

On my 02 it was one of the wires in the lower plug. You can stick a probe in the back of the plug and get a reading on the wires. I just cut and spliced my hot wire to power my fog lights since I don't know where the wires go from there. I added a in line fuse to be safe, but my fog lights stay on with my high beams this way.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Senior User

gunnertom is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'am not 100% on this but I think the wires go to the front of the truck an are pluged off.Look an see if you can find some pluged off wires up front were the fog lights should be an check for power with the switch pulled out.

2002 F350 2wd cc drw 7.3 auto, ccv mod, foil delete, 6637, t/c mod on a dimmer switch, ,Single stack,,dptunes, H idle,60 tow,80 econo,100 perf,120 race, gauges.recon smoked cab lights, ITP OBA.Sliverstar ultras.2 inch leveling kit.Riffraffs frx,hpx.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Posting Guru

farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.
On my '03 there is a wire behind the license plate spot on the front bumper that goes from one fog light to the other. It has the black hard plastic wrap on it. Check to see if yours has this wire with plugged ends and then check for power. You may have to put in a fuse in the fog light circuit to activate these connections.

'03 F350 PSD, 4x4, SC, LB, Super Chip, B&W, AIS, Zoodad, Rough Country (so far)

If it has wheels and an engine, you have my attention.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior User

dieseloholic is starting off with a positive reputation.
my switch pulls out too, but I never thought that the wires may be in place. I'm gonna check on that tomorrow. Thanks guys.
++Roadside Help Network++
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
On a 2000, the switch pulls out, but there is nothing electrical that happens.

I have had one apart in an attempt to plan some other features into it.

If anyone is interested, I can post some photos of a 2000's switch disassembled.

Worst of all, on most of the later-year switches that actually do have an electrical switch associated with the pull-out action, the connectors on the rear are completely different and won't directly plug into a 2000's harness. However, I have not verified a switch from a 2001, so it may have the same connectors.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350

Last edited by SpringerPop; 01-07-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Posting Guru

spdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to behold
Pop, this is a pretty old post, but I'm about wire up some fog lights on my 2000. I got a new model bumper, some lights and a knowledge of wiring/relays etc. Have you found anything different about the headlight switch? So when I pull out the headlight switch, there won't even be a hot lead that I could use to activate a relay? Bummer, I don't want to have to add a switch in the cab for fog lights. My I'll just wire them in to come on when the parking lights come on.
2006 F250 Lariat 6.0 CC 4x4, Gearhead Tunes (SRL+, 8K/Unlimited Tow), ARP head studs, Powermax turbo, 4" exhaust, Atlas 40, EGR delete, updated Ford oil cooler, Detroit TrueTrac, blue FPR spring, stand pipes/dummy plugs, 08 Trans Pan/Filter, STC update
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Nope. There is nothing inside a 2000 switch that does anything at all to activate anything.

It just pulls out, and I don't know why it even does that, given the design.

Triggering the relay with the park lamp feed is a good way!

Pop
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Posting Guru

spdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to behold
Dang it, I assumed way to much when I started this project of adding factory fog lights. I assumed they'd bolt right on the bumper, the wiring would be there, etc. I found out I need a later bumper, a harness, lights, and now some creative wiring. I figured, hey, the light switch pulls out like every other Ford I've had with driving lights, this one must be set up for it too. Oh well....
2006 F250 Lariat 6.0 CC 4x4, Gearhead Tunes (SRL+, 8K/Unlimited Tow), ARP head studs, Powermax turbo, 4" exhaust, Atlas 40, EGR delete, updated Ford oil cooler, Detroit TrueTrac, blue FPR spring, stand pipes/dummy plugs, 08 Trans Pan/Filter, STC update
Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Too old to be too smart

Please tell me about the bumper needing to be "later".

I, too, have a problem mounting the OEM brackets to mine.

Pop
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

Well I just picked up one that came of an 02 today. It appears the inside lips at the top and bottom are larger, more meat to be able to secure the light brackets too. Other than that looks to be the same. But if you give me a day or two, I'll have the other one off and I'll photo them side by side. If they aren't then I just wasted a few $ on a bumper I don't need, lol.
Actually this one is interesting, because it's got some kind of front air dam extension on it that mine doesn't have. A good 2" lower than my bumper.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
New User

shannos is starting off with a positive reputation.
bumper pic?

So, did you take pictures of the two bumpers? I assumed too much too, with my pull-out switch on my '99. Just bought fogs today to find out I have no wiring and probably the wrong bumper too-
Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 AM
1/8 mile Oval Track

crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.
2000 models didn't come with driving lights. 2001 up did. Ive been through this before,so I had a buddy get me the wiring off of a wreck truck to make it work,just had to wire in a harness to match up what he gave me. Other than that,it works fine. I'm thinking about redoing it,to where the low beems are on,they will be also
Scott PAA #60 2000 F250 7.3 Lariat Auto 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I love each and everyone of y'all.
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
The local Ford parts guy told me they made 2 different bumpers in 2000 one for light one with out ( sounded dumb to me).Maybe partsguy ed knows for sure
I have saw 2000s with driving lights.The retro kit from Ford comes with a new switch and harness but is pricey.I don't know what it did for a bumper,it wasn't included in the kit
I've had a new set of new lights laying on the shelf for 8 years with no place to bolt bottom of bracket and too lazy to build anything and wasn't going to buy a new bumper,the one on there is still doing a good job
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Too old to be too smart

Ray,

I am in exactly the same place you are, for exactly the same reasons.

The difference is that I've only had my lights for about four years.

When I get that Round Tuit.......

Pop
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
02, 97, 98, black, color, expedition, f150, f350, fog, head, light, lights, mod, switch, wire, wires