Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Turbo...What to do, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Turbo...What to do, need some advice

This post got kinda long sorry, I appriciate any help.

The update on my truck (after accident link) is it is in the paint booth today, I might get it back by Friday, then I have to deal with.....

I'm thinking of replacing my early 99 stock turbo with the Dominator66. I
currently have a oil leak at the pedestal o-ring (due to accident). I was thinking that I should replace the boots on the IC and spider, but can't find a kit for this, also on the intake there is the rubber boot from the air box to where the CCV is/was connected, its all cracked I was wondering where there is a good source for that?

There is also the H2E option that would replace the pedestal and boots up pipe and some other stuff I don't know.

If I go the Dominator route (which I probably will) what other things should I consider doing while I have it all apart?

I haven't asked if the Dominator is a ballbearing or not, anyone know?

Early 99 BDP Dominator 66 $1325

The Dominator 66 is a direct bolt on turbo. You do not need to replace your pedestal and up pipes to run this turbo.The high performance turbo upgrade will flow 1050 CFM. That is a 30% air flow increase of stock. This turbo has a 1 Year replacement warranty. That is almost 100CFM more than the Hypermax H2E turbo at less than half the price and installation time. Maximum recommended pressure is 40PSI. Core required.

Holset H2E Turbo Conversion Kit 1994-2003 7.3L $2,250.00

All parts are included to complete the installation on your truck. These parts include, intake boots, turbo, custom pedestal, up-pipes, up-pipe flange, gaskets, "Y" intake pipe, turbo to charge air cooler pipe, and down pipe.

A new turbocharger system has been developed for high-end horsepower Power Strokes. A 25-40% increase in airflow makes this package a must for 400+ horsepower applications. Exhaust temperature and back pressure are reduced and fuel mileage is improved when compared to the factory turbocharger system. Includes all turbocharger inlet and exhaust piping and hoses for a “factory look.”

Exhaust backpressures or "drive pressures" as they are called in the turbocharger business plays a huge role in how much boost an engine can produce before stress on engine components fail. Drive pressure is the amount of pressure required to "drive" a certain amount of boost with a particular turbo. These numbers can usually be derived into a mathematical equation. For instance, a stock 7.3L turbo has a drive pressure approximately of a 2/1 ratio. This means for every 1 lb of boost, it takes 2 lbs of drive pressure to produce this. So, a stock turbo producing 35 lbs of boost can easily produce 70 lbs of drive pressure. The ballbearing turbos on the market estimate about a 1.75/1 ratio. That same truck with 35 lbs of boost will generate about 61.25 lbs of drive pressure.
Now, this turbo kit has a drive pressure close to 1/1. That means the same boost levels of 35lbs only produce approximately 35lbs of drive pressure. Your head gaskets and rods are greatly relieved of excess pressure. So, for high boost levels and high HP applications, this turbo is a must for long life of engine components.

Early 1999 Trucks: These trucks have two options. The Intake plenums on the stock Early '99 (Pre 12/98) are smaller in size than the 3" plenums used on the stock '99-03 trucks. You can either purchase an early '99 H2E kit that attaches the plumbing to the smaller intakes, or purchase the late 99 H2E kit and purchase the 3" OEM plenums to complete the package.

1999-2003 7.3L DIESELSITE.COM Intercooler Boot Kit $129.99

The kit includes the two boots that connect the intercooler pipes to the intercooler. It includes four T-bolt spring clamps. The spring bolt clamps are 300 series stainless steel with zinc coated bolts with a 300lb clamping strength. Recommended torque is 60 in/lbs. Extra clamps are available as an option for severe boost numbers. Our boots are made slightly longer than stock in order to accommodate multiple clamps. In most cases, what is supplied will more than suffice the normal user.

1999.5-2003 7.3L Dieselsite Engine Boot Kit (After 12/1/98) $99.00

I need to find this for a early 99

The kit includes the two boots that connect the intercooler pipes to the intake manifold, and the two boots that seal the intake manifold to the heads. It includes four T-bolt spring clamps for the upper boots and four heavy duty stainless steel clamps for the lower boots. The spring bolt clamps are 300 series stainless steel with zinc coated bolts with a 300lb clamping strength. Recommended torque is 60 in/lbs. Extra clamps are available as an option for severe boost numbers. Our upper boots are made slightly longer than stock in order to accommodate multiple clamps. In most cases, what is supplied will more than suffice the normal user.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I'm bumping myself

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
i myself would go the cheapest route cause im not rich! good luck w/your choice!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
SOunds interesting. I know you are chomping at the bit to get it back and get it better than right. Good luck i am watching too just to see what people have to say.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
D66 is a modded stocker... Good turbo and if your not planing on BIG hp then go for it. The H2e will be VERY LAGGY with stock injectors (your only running 120cc) but if you ever jump a bit in injectors your set...

Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look around diesel site they have a complete upgrade kit available, i'll see if i can find the link i just did this the biggest pain is the passenger side plenum other than that u'll need a couple longer bolts and a couple new ones unless ur able to get the old ones out i couldn't and a few i didn't even try lowes had all the metric bolts i needed and i bought some at a do it best but those are expensive and wouldn't do that again. i went with the turbonetics ball bearing turbo very nice u might want to check out ebay there is a no ball bearing version on there right now

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by justblowin'smoke
look around diesel site they have a complete upgrade kit available, i'll see if i can find the link i just did this the biggest pain is the passenger side plenum other than that u'll need a couple longer bolts and a couple new ones unless ur able to get the old ones out i couldn't and a few i didn't even try lowes had all the metric bolts i needed and i bought some at a do it best but those are expensive and wouldn't do that again. i went with the turbonetics ball bearing turbo very nice u might want to check out ebay there is a no ball bearing version on there right now
I'm sorry, Nick but I had a hard time following your response. What is it that you have done? Converted E99 to L99 with TN BB Turbo?

[Quote] look around diesel site they have a complete upgrade kit available, i'll see if i can find the link [Quote] I think I posted that link (upgrade kit) looking for a E99 version?

Confused

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=276 (turbo conversion) i went non ebv didn't really affect warm up

sorry someone must of bought it now for the turbo though

Old 12-19-2007, 09:45 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I guess the reason I posted this was to get your (everyone's) take on the best senerio. I use the truck for everyday stuff: Work hauling 10000# daily, recreation Hauling Kids#, + blowing smoke on small imports. I need to fix my turbo and oil leak in one felt swoop and get back on the road. I want to upgrade the I/C boots as well the spider/plenum boots...what ever its called. And I'm looking for any other suggestions (mod) as to what I should do with all this off (turbo, intake, IC) etc. In other words if I put on the d66 were do I get the E99 boots? I know this is specific and I am a pain in the a$$.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhand124
I guess the reason I posted this was to get your (everyone's) take on the best senerio. I use the truck for everyday stuff: Work hauling 10000# daily, recreation Hauling Kids#, + blowing smoke on small imports. I need to fix my turbo and oil leak in one felt swoop and get back on the road. I want to upgrade the I/C boots as well the spider/plenum boots...what ever its called. And I'm looking for any other suggestions (mod) as to what I should do with all this off (turbo, intake, IC) etc. In other words if I put on the d66 were do I get the E99 boots? I know this is specific and I am a pain in the a$$.
Whats your budget? future hp goals? Well go in accordance from there!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Whats your budget? future hp goals? Well go in accordance from there!
If I'm going non stock turbo on 200000 miles...I see a HPOP and injectors in my future, but I have to keep it drivable so it can be my 400 HP work truck.

Budget?

Thanks for the response

Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 PM
mitchrock1
Freshman User
First, I refuse to argue with anyone about this so this will be my only post on this thread. I recently installed an H2E with the Hypermax kit on my truck. (1999.5 F250) I'm still running stock injectors and my performance mods include: AFE2, Regulated Return, AirDog, DP-60t,80e,120r, and 4" open exhaust. The H2E pulls very hard once it's lit up. I start noticing a difference at 4psi and it really takes off at 10psi. It's not real laggy with my stock injectors. That doesn't mean there isn't a little bit of lag but it more than makes up for it depending on how hard you push the go pedal. There is a noticable difference in the increase in power over the stock turbo. I realize that my plans include bigger injectors and that's why I went with this turbo but I really expected more lag out of the H2E based on a lot of other opinions I've read on multiple forum sites including this one. That's my 2 cents.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Budget = How much money do you have to spend today!

Originally Posted by your sig

Early '99, F350, 4X4, LB, CC, Lariat, 4" ex, AFE Stage II intake, ISSPRO apillar gauges, TSI built trans, DP Tuner (60t, 80e, 120r), Boost tube, CCV, ITP OB, EBPV brake w/ T/C lock, ZOODAD mod, stancor GPR mod. 3:73's 200000 on the clock.
It looks to me, like youve got alot of the supporting mods covered. Why not go the H2E route, which gives you everything you need (up pipes, turbo, etc) Get it for the late model, and get new larger, late 99+ intake plenums. And a set of injectors if you can swing it. Lukecline has pretty much sold me on the H2E setup, which like CSI has said, can be a little laggy on stock injectors, so if you have the money get some injectors in while your doing the "restore" for lack of better words. Im sure if you talked to Jody, and had him re burn your dp tuner, he could put a little extra fuel on the bottom to make the H2E not so laggy, untill you get injectors.

I really do think that the H2e is your best bet. Say you buy a D66, theres $1400. $300 for the new style bellow up pipes (uncoated). A new non-ebpv pedistal is $258 on diesel site. (to get rid of it the right way) and im not sure how much a boot kit for an early 99 is, 99-03 kit is $99. Total all that and you have $2,057 minus shipping, which could add up, being that your order could be from multiple vendors. H2e at 2250 + intake plenums is definetely within price reach. Granted you could cut some of the "fat" there and do it a little cheaper.

The above method gives you the new belowed pipes, to get rid of the leaking stockers though.

Another method would be to convert to late 99 from BWD which includes the bellowed up pipes, for about 800, and run either of the two good drop ins, the gtp38r or the turbonetics bb. But i think that would actually be more expensive.

Last edited by rebelchevy02; 12-19-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mitchrock1
First, I refuse to argue with anyone about this so this will be my only post on this thread. I recently installed an H2E with the Hypermax kit on my truck. (1999.5 F250) I'm still running stock injectors and my performance mods include: AFE2, Regulated Return, AirDog, DP-60t,80e,120r, and 4" open exhaust. The H2E pulls very hard once it's lit up. I start noticing a difference at 4psi and it really takes off at 10psi. It's not real laggy with my stock injectors.
I know you said this would be your only post, but one thing to consider, the early 99 actually has smaller injectors stock, making the problem worse. Not that I disagree with you, I also think the H2e is the way to go!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
I know you said this would be your only post, but one thing to consider, the early 99 actually has smaller injectors stock, making the problem worse. Not that I disagree with you, I also think the H2e is the way to go!
Still thinking on your earlier post, I didn't know the E99 had smaller injectors, only a smaller HPOP.

Quick Reply: New Turbo...What to do, need some advice