Wiring basics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:46 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring basics

Hi everyone.

I appologize if this has been asked already and/or if it sounds like a stupid question.

I'm going to be running an air compressor on my 2000 Ford Excursion (PSD), and would like to know what is the best way to run the power lines?

I'm going to use a relay, but, I need to provide power to the relay. I would have liked to patch in to an unused fuse slot in the fuse panel, but, I have heard that the actual underlying power supply to the fuse panel is already near capacity. Thus, if I'm adding a compressor (and other accessories in the future), I'm better off installing a auxiliary fuse panel (there's definitely room).

Now, the question -- that I hope is simple, where does one actually feed the power from to the fuse panel(s)? I'm sure that one doesn't cut their battery cable and try to splice into it. Is there some form of power 'junction box' off the battery/alternator that one runs thick cables from to provide power to the fuse panel?

Any info is appreciated.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't seen anything new lately...but check the opposited end of the Positive Battery cable .
Itf it goes to a starter relay like this.
Just attach it to the big lug that goes to the battery.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
You can hook it to the solenoid above(yours may look a little different), or you can buy extra long bolts for the side terminal type batteries, and put two large cables on the battery post.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This does make sense.

One question though, how would I get switched +12V power? (assuming one would actually run it through a fuse box). Would I have to get a high amp relay, run it from the battery (or from the cable attached to the starter relay in this case), and then have some small power switched signal act as the control to this additional relay? Is this generally how they implement the switched power lines through out the vehicle?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes you have it correct.

small switched power to trip the relay to supply big power.

Much like this Ford headlight relay upgrade.

The old headlight switch power that used to run directly to the headlights now just trips the relay .

http://www.northwestvintagebroncos.c...headlight1.htm