1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

hagan gas tank door - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:34 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick note - my gas door is a 'williams' one not hagan I whink but looks identical to the curved one on the hagan website

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Finished the metalwork installation yesterday - it was actually a lot easier than I thought in the end thanks to cutting that hole in the cab corner patch before I welded it in - it made installing the gas door much easier, just slotted it in, marked it up, cut out the remaining lips and welded on. I'd say installing the cab corner was the most difficult bit overall.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM
cwpowell
Senior User
Chuck, you were just giving your honest opinion and what you were saying is the absolute truth about the hagan kit, I have honestly thought about going to the junk yard and seeing if I can find something that would work better that what I have. The hagan kit is very flimsy the hinge looks like something that you would see on a stereo cabinet. I do have a lot of the tools that you mentioned, even a mig welder, but i am not very experienced with body work, so I am going to let the body shop do all of that stuff for me. I had the cab blasted and they are doing work on it as there time permits, I am just trying to decide what I want to do with the gas tank neck. I really prefer some type of door for it rather than the stock neck. If you come up with any kind of ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
cwpowell
Senior User
Chuck,
I have been out of town for a couple of days or I would have responded sooner. You did not offend me with your comments, you gave me your honest opinion and I appreciate that. I am just not real sure that I want to use this hagan kit, the fuel door is very small, and the thing that I don't like is the hinge assembly. It is very flimsy and I think at some point in time it will rub the edge in the opening and then the paint comes off. I don't know of any vehicle that has a curved contour like on my truck. If I could find something at the junk yard that would work, I would scratch my plan to use the hagan kit. I am going to push this to the back burner for a few days and work on some other things on the truck. If you come up with alternative plan by all l means please pass it on to me. I appreciate your help and comments.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OK.
Since my last post I have been sitting in Duke Hospital. Seems like I have arythmic heart failure. I expect I'll be in here 2 or 3 more days while they get everything working properly again. I have some ideas on your fuel door, but it may be a week or so before I can flesh them out. Metal work is not that difficult to do, and this might be a good learning project.

Last edited by AXracer; 01-02-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cwpowell-

Don't know if this will be of any help but you might consider moving the gas door up and to the rear of the cab where it is flatter. I have seen this done and they located it just above the bed on the rear of the cab before the curve begins. This location would offer a better chance of finding a workable solution at the "Pick & Pull". You can have a muffler/exhaust shop bend you up a filler pipe as needed. Just a thought.

I have used the Williams door on another project and it worked OK, although kind of lightweight. Trouble with some of the OEM doors are they are pretty large so you might look at the foreign cars to see if they are smaller.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 AM
cwpowell
Senior User
Installing a fuel door on the back of the cab is a possiblity, I have seen a few of them in that location in some of my magazines. I will have to check and see how much clearance I would have for the filler neck to go between the cab and Rod Door panel that will cover the inside back portion of the cab. I think there is more room in the curve of the cab than the back, but I will take a look at that option.