1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 F100 Left Cab Corner with Fuel cutout

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54 F100 Left Cab Corner with Fuel cutout

If anyone is going to shave the fuel filler hole would you please let me know. I am in desperate need of one as the person I bought my truck from put a replacement corner in then did a half @$$ job cutting a hole for the filler neck. I need the original because I came across an old stock Hagan fuel door to fill this hole but need an original as no aftermarket part comes precut with the fuel tunnel. Any and all help appreciated.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
just to clarify, are you needing the inside corner (& or filler tubular housing), or the external corner?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Both would be great but if I could get just the external I would be able to work with that just fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
I found this Hagan old stock fuel doors and this is why I need the cutout. Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
I used a newer style hagan kit when i shaved mine and did away with the inner tunnel completely - the gas cap is a through the cap style and is connected by a chunky fuel hose direct to the tank. I just made up a filler panel for the under side to block off the hole and keep water out.
Heres the finished job

And a few in process pics

I don't see why you couldn't adapt what you have to achieve a similar result if you can't get hold of the bits you're after.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
I see what your saying and your fuel door looks amazing. I may just have to get a little creative to make mine work. It was made to fit in the original opening which is why I was asking for the can corner. I'll keep you posting the progress.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM
John55F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by dawolverine
I used a newer style hagan kit when i shaved mine and did away with the inner tunnel completely - the gas cap is a through the cap style and is connected by a chunky fuel hose direct to the tank. I just made up a filler panel for the under side to block off the hole and keep water out.
Heres the finished job

And a few in process pics

I don't see why you couldn't adapt what you have to achieve a similar result if you can't get hold of the bits you're after.
How hard was it to make the new door look right. I bought one and sent it back because it looked so cheap and couldn't see how the sharp edge single wall door would ever look right. Since then I've seen some people using them.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dawolverine, that looks great!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Almost finished with the brakes then on to the fuel door and fuel lines.....Hope mine turns out as nice as Dawolverines.....

Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
snook715
Senior User
I'm going to be shaving mine. How quickly do you need it?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Whenever you get around to it....not in a huge hurry and would only need the external piece. Basically need it because of the lip the door would rest against. What would you want for it?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
''How hard was it to make the new door look right. I bought one and sent it back because it looked so cheap and couldn't see how the sharp edge single wall door would ever look right. Since then I've seen some people using them''

I have to admit the whole thing was a fairly involved job, but with patience, some basic tools, lots of measuring and a can do attitude I got it looking right. I'm no expert and this whole new corner & fuel door combo was my first real go at a proper panel replacement and modification. Being in the UK as well, returning things isn't really practical! I must say though, I think I'd probably have a go at making my own fuel door section from scratch next time as for the cost you don't really get a lot with these kits.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
John55F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by dawolverine
''How hard was it to make the new door look right. I bought one and sent it back because it looked so cheap and couldn't see how the sharp edge single wall door would ever look right. Since then I've seen some people using them''

I have to admit the whole thing was a fairly involved job, but with patience, some basic tools, lots of measuring and a can do attitude I got it looking right. I'm no expert and this whole new corner & fuel door combo was my first real go at a proper panel replacement and modification. Being in the UK as well, returning things isn't really practical! I must say though, I think I'd probably have a go at making my own fuel door section from scratch next time as for the cost you don't really get a lot with these kits.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think I could make the door look right that's the reason I sent it back. I have some ideas on making something but just need some time and money to get to it.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Thanks for everyones reply but I have located a cab corner and it is on the surgeons table in the garage as we speak. Thanks again

Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
71mach351
Senior User
Fifty-Fourd ... is that you Chris? If so, post pics of the cab corner I sent you when you get in installed.

Quick Reply: 54 F100 Left Cab Corner with Fuel cutout