Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Goodyear Tire Recall!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Tire Recall!!

Well, my front end has been vibrating and "whumping/thumping" for a few weeks now. I chalked it up to my needing front end work, but after doing some research and reading on here I took it to my Discount Tire store. I told them I was due for a rotation anyways (which was true), but could they check my tires on the front for giggles. I told them I was trying to rule out a bigger parts R&R. The guys had pleanty of time, hardly any customers today, and know me really well so they were happy to oblige.

So a bit later the guy delivers the bad news--my drivers side tire has major belt seperation and the passenger tire has worn out the inner edge. So I'm looking at 2 new tires!! YIKES!! I just got them replaced reciently too, so I'm about ready to ask them to check on their computer when it was that I just bought the tires, when the Manager comes rushing over and says "whatever you just told her, forget it!!" "HUH!?!?!?" says the guy.

WELL.... apparently Goodyear *just* sent out a memo/message about those tires!!! I guess Goodyear is mailing people who bought this particular tire to go back to the tire store and get new tires for FREE!!!!! I guess my letter in the mail had not arrived yet, but the Manager said since I was in their system as to what and when I bought the tires, that I didn't need to have the letter!!! SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!! So I got FOUR NEW TIRES FOR FREE!!!!

So if any of you guys have bought Goodyears for your Aero's recently (like in the past year I'd imagine...) keep a watch in your mail box!!!! Or go and ask your tire shop if yours are included in the recall.

On a good note---the vibration and noise in the front is GONE!!!! YEA!!! But I still need to have hubby do the inner tie rods and rack 'n' pinion....argh...winter cold weather is NOT helping motivate him!!! Maybe I will have to threaten to spend $$$ at the auto shop to get his rear in gear!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Do you happen to remember what model of Goodyear tires those were?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found a link:

http://www.tirereview.com/default.aspx?type=wm&module=4&id=2&state=DisplayFu llText&item=9938

and if you want to read it:

"Goodyear Recalls 400,000 Tires
December 03, 2007
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. is voluntarily recalling some 400,000 associate and private brand passenger tires the company produced between 2003 and 2006.
The company said the move was precautionary, even though “after an exhaustive analysis, no design or manufacturing defect was found in the tire."

The tires in question – size P215/70R14 – were produced under 23 different brand names, including Goodyear house or associate brands Kelly-Springfield, Douglas, Mohave and Republic. The tires were sold in the U.S. and Canada.

"This precautionary campaign is in response to our internal analysis and review of early warning data we monitor on our tires," said Sim Ford, Goodyear’s manager of government and customer compliance. "The company has determined some of these tires have experienced adverse service conditions that have led to a tread separation, and in the interest of customer satisfaction has decided to replace qualifying tires.”

Goodyear said that details on the recall and a complete list of the private brand names involved in the recall are available at Goodyear's Web site at www.goodyear.com. (Tire Review/Akron)"

Well that would explain why the Kelley tires that I was running were going to crap so fast.

EDIT: Here is a list of Names of tires from the Goodyear website: http://www.goodyear.com/media/p215_cust_satisf.html

I didn't see Kelley Navigator brand, but it is very similiar to the Explorer brand (which I had on the front of my Aero and the side walls were weather checking/cracking very badly.)

Last edited by 93nighthawk; 12-12-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
Do you happen to remember what model of Goodyear tires those were?
Ya know, I didn't ask. Maybe I should have, but I didn't want to look a "gift horse in the mouth"!!! It looks like nighthawk found the press release....

Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they didn't give you the same model tires as the defective ones they took off?

how's those 2 rug rats?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
they didn't give you the same model tires as the defective ones they took off?

how's those 2 rug rats?
Well, let me look at my reciept..... It looks like they took off 2 Rocky Mountains A/S, and 2 Mohave R/S. They replaced them with the Goodyear Regatta II XNW..... or was it the other way around??? The receipt is confusing.... I might have to go out and look at the tires in the morning!!!

Well, my DD#1 just turned 2 years old today!!! She knows her colors and shapes and is working on learning to count!!! For the past month, she has been wanting to work on potty training too!!! I'm tired just trying to keep up with her!!! She so smart!! Next edition is due February 8th--another girl! I'm getting big belly and she is an active one!! I get a baby's version of karate lessons every hour!!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like you've got another active one on the way

good think an Aero will hold 6 baby seats

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 12-13-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
it's time to purchaise school bus......

Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 AM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
sounds like you've got another active one on the way

good think an Aero will hold 6 baby seats
You offering college scholarships!?!?!? Cause my DH says we stop at two.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
it's time to purchaise school bus......
Oh no!!! I like my Aero just fine!!! Just need to keep it going!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Oh no!!! I like my Aero just fine!!! Just need to keep it going!!!
__________________________________________________ _____

Aero full of cowkids mechanics.....

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
occupant
Senior User
SON OF A BISCUIT EATER!!!

These NWHY coded Douglas Xtra-Trac A/W P215/70R14 tires have been on my Torino for quite a while. Evidently no one informed the previous owner of the recall. It had been sitting at a pawn shop since fall 2007. I bought it 9/4/2008 on eBay. So here I am just now reading up about this because I was trying to look up speed ratings and road indexes and I wanted my tires specs to use as a baseline. I actually plan on getting 16 inch steel wheels for my car to use the more common P225/60R16 size. But I don't think that'll help me here.

What do I do, go to Wal-Mart and just say, hey I just found out the tires on my car are recalled, let's do this?

Who wants to bet against me? I say my local Wal-Mart, which at the moment doesn't even have any FL-1A filters, will NOT have any tires in my size or even close to it. 225/70R14 would be close to HR78-14. 215/75R14 would be better. 215/70R14 is what I'm stuck with. I BET THEY DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE THREE!!!

And I'll not cheat and call ahead or anything either.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
occupant
Senior User
Guess what? This "recall" is "expired". I didn't know safety items were treated as coupons. Wal-Mart and Goodyear both refused to honor it. I printed out this article and took it in. Both stores told me to essentially get lost.

Has anyone else attempted to get recall replacements for these tires? I have the NWHY Douglas Xtra-Trac's in 215/70R14, dated the 39th week of 2003. This is really annoying, I finally find out the tires were recalled, and now I can't even get them replaced?

Screw it. I went to a junkyard and got a P225/60R16 on a Crown Victoria steel wheel. I couldn't get the other 3 off the car but tomorrow I'm going back with a lug wrench and I'm not leaving that yard until I get them. For $16 apiece it's probably cheaper than fighting a tire store tooth and nail and then finding out they'll make me pay for mounting and balancing. They look good on my car, though...and they'll look even better with Dodge pickup trim rings. The Dodge rings are deeper than the Chevy/GMC 16" trim rings.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
rhblakeman
New User
Those replacement Regatta II tires are just as bad. 3rd one now of the 4 replacements has a sidewall leak - they crack and let air out of the sidewall. Now I get to fight with Walmart about the two left, the leaker and the one that hasn't started, yet. Last set of Goodyear (or any of their "associate brands") tires I will buy and last time I deal with Walmart.