Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

93' 4wd shift linkage broke... why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
BombThreat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93' 4wd shift linkage broke... why?

I just picked up a 1993 F350 7.3L and while I was shifting the truck into 4wd the linkage broke. It made it into 4wd but now I can't get it out until I replace this part and find out why exactly it would break in the first place.. Is this something common that happens?

Also any idea where I could find one of these at a reasonable cost?

Here's a pic of it from a underside view

Old 12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have no idea why it would break, but this is the third time I have seen this in the last two or three weeks.

You can shift the transfer case out of 4 wheel drive by moving the linkage from the shifter into the transfer case.
If I remember right 2 Hi is all the way back toward the case.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume the red squiggle is the place where it broke?

It looks like it is aluminum and you never know what the previous owner did.

I had one F250 460 T19 where the hydraulic portion of the clutch was failing and because he could not pull it in and out of gear, he went APESH1T and broke the shift lever shaft in half!

Also, when the fuel pump relay failed he wired both fuel pumps causing the fuel selector to try and select both tanks at the same time causing neither fuel tank to be fully selected causing the fuel pressure to be just enough to go about 20 mph or until the carburetor float bowls started to run dry, then proceeded to modify the whole fuel system to compensate.

I am now on my third truck that had a "mechanic from hell" having to undo all the botched repairs to make a truck road worthy.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
BombThreat
Senior User
Your right the red squiggle is were it broke, would you know what vehicles inner change with this part?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Borg Warner 1356 transfer case was used in 1988 thru 1997 trucks with either a C 6, T 19 or ZF transmission.

I do believe they were also behind The E4OD as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM
fullcircle
Freshman User
Mine broke ('94, F250). The whole assembly pivots on one main bolt (you can see it in your picture). In my case, this pivot point had seized and, in my often hard-headed way, I broke it trying to force it into gear...Anyway, that piece is not aluminim, it's pot metal. Not wanting to pay the dealer price (I'm thinking it was around $250 to $300) I searched the web and bought some rod that claimed effectively "weld" pot metal. It's an apparently tough metal to repair. After two attempts using the rod and my handheld torch with MAPPS gas, the only thing I can say is that it's still working after a dozen or so "light handed" shifts. If you go this route, take the whole assembly apart as there are plastic bushings in the tubes that can't stand the heat...trust me on this...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Dstosh
Senior User
I am looking for the same part. Both my 96's broke. I do a lot of snow plowing and I am constantly shifting in and out of 4wd. My advice to you is go to a junk yard and try and find one. I am going to do the same today. When you do get one, lube the crap out of it. you will thank me later. It isnt to hard to do, you do though have to get the little plastic bushings from the dealer. 7 or 8 bucks I think. Good luck.

I believe this is a fairly common occourance. I have had a hard time finding one.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
BombThreat
Senior User
Yeah it looks to be a common issue. Damn pot metal. Ill hit the junk yard this saturday and hopefully find one. Once I have it in-hand, im going to see how had it would be for a buddy of mine to machine a billet one.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Dstosh
Senior User
Found one in a scary *** junkyard today, but broke it trying to take it off. NEXT

Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Actually if you had the broken one off the transfer case I think it would not be to hard to make one at a machine shop.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
mstromni
Senior User
Mine broke..I welded it using aluminum rod, TIG welding. It worked ok (is still there), but I would like to make a steel one sometime soon (before it breaks!)

Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 AM
archangel
Posting Guru
I would just super glue it back together and make a copy out of steel!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Do you have to push straight down on your shift lever before you can move it out of 2wd into 4WD? Is it one of the type that has the spring-loaded slide built into it right next to where it bolts onto the transfer case?

If so, from what I understand, they are VERY hard to find in good shape and I've heard others say they were quoted $150 for one - can't remember if it was a new one or a wrecking yard, though I think it was probably new.
I happen to have a spare one that I could be persuaded to part with for the right price. PM me if you want to make an offer

Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
David85
Lead Driver
I must say, I am a little confused by this. I have a transfer case in my truck and all the shift components are what appear to be stamped steel or cast iron, no pot metal. The donor truck was a 1991 F350, an I the only one that has the steel parts?

Anyhoo, I also had trouble with mine, one of the wimpy bolts that hold on the lever to the pivot shaped when I tried to loosen it. I'll probably opt to try and wield it solid to the shift lever. With a little imagination, you may be able to find a steel pipe with an ID to match the size of the pivot bolt, and just wield up a replacement thats completely steel.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 AM
mstromni
Senior User
I guess 92-96 is the stupid cast pot-metal one...by the way, the whole casting is junk. i had one of the webbings in a vice and it didnt take much force to snap the whole webbing off, either.

If I were to make up steel replacements for ~ $60 + shipping, would people be wiling to buy them?

Quick Reply: 93' 4wd shift linkage broke... why?