OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Tenn,

I have Cen-Pe-Co 15-40, Stancor GPR and it hasn't been started since last Sunday. Tonight is supposed to be around 21 degrees for the low. Would you like me to video a cold start in the morning?

Let me know,

Jason
Jason, does your truck suffer from the romps? If so, I'd love to get the sound file (I can pull it off a video, if you video tape it).

Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a romp romp rommmmm. I've only done a few cold starts since I put in the Cen-Pe-Co. With 5-40 Syn I never got the romps. With Rotella 15-40 it romped bad. I switched to the Cen-Pe-Co cause a friend of mine runs it in his dump trucks and says they start good year around.

The video will be digital.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Tenn,

Tonight is supposed to be around 21 degrees for the low. Would you like me to video a cold start in the morning?

Let me know,

Jason
That would be cool. I obviously am technically challenged when it comes to this or don't have the right software. What do you need to get it into the puter? I have a Hi8 at my disposal with Svideo cable. None of my machines see it when I connect it. I can record it to my DVD recorder harddrive as digits but the sound is not there so that sucks. If the sound was there, I could move it as digits via SD card to my puter.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
That would be cool. I obviously am technically challenged when it comes to this or don't have the right software. What do you need to get it into the puter? I have a Hi8 at my disposal with Svideo cable. None of my machines see it when I connect it. I can record it to my DVD recorder harddrive as digits but the sound is not there so that sucks. If the sound was there, I could move it as digits via SD card to my puter.
I use a program called Adobe Premier...definitely overkill for what you are trying to do. Have you tried Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker...it will allow you to offload the video tape into your computer, then edit (though just basic editing)...Best thing is it is free! Here is the link to Movie Maker

Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll make it a .wav file, put it into my webshots, and post a link. It sounds good but we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully I can get the Tach in there, sound of the engine and then exhaust color (normally white for a little bit)

Hope it helps.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nlemerise
I use a program called Adobe Premier...definitely overkill for what you are trying to do. Have you tried Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker...it will allow you to offload the video tape into your computer, then edit (though just basic editing)...Best thing is it is free! Here is the link to Movie Maker
Thanks Neal. I have that on my Vista laptop and couldn't get it to work. Guess I need to try again.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
dryfly
Elder User
You mentioned in your first post.That you dont want to use a stancor relay.I am just interested in why that is.Are they inferrior in some way?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone else tried rebuilding thier IPR? I know in another thread someone said they rebuild theirs, but has anyone else. I checked the IH dealer in Billings today and they have to order the kit in as they dont stock it, which made me wonder if that really where the problem is. I figure if it was known to stop the romp they would be fairly common kits, but then again maybe most people simply forgot how there outfits started when they were new. Just rack the romp up to being cold.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
I run 5 40 synthetic. . . and it doesn't matter what the tempurature is. . . or if the oil is warm or cold. . . My engine almost always romps. Its different between settings. . . sometimes it will smooth out for a while. ALmost any time I pull it out of gear it will immediately romp. Cold start ups go to about 850 RPM and smooth. FWIW my old hypermax chip had an idle similar to stock. . . very very smooth.
Tim

Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Guys,

I'll have to try the neutral thing when it does it again...

While I didn't read all of the responses I'll add my experiences with the romps. Changing oil does not cure it. I've got the romps right now with fresh 5W40 Rotella. Plugging in at night last year did help for some reason though. Not sure if that is related or not...

I'm leaning towards an oil pressure problem. Maybe a weak HPOP, IPR, or a weak low pressure pump, or a stuck relief valve or spring somewhere in the lube system causing a loss of pressure. This oil drainback/low pressure could cause an air pocket to build...

NOW, I will add this info. My truck just sat for 3 days straight in the airport parking lot. I cranked it up Wednesday AM and it romped, then ran rough for about 5 minutes. Usually it'll go away once the engine gets some heat in it. SO, I started revving the engine and it would smooth out perfectly while the rpm's are up then run rough when they drop back down. Then after one good rev it ran the smoothest it's ever ran....... until it was shut down for some time.....

SCENARIO #1:
So, who else thinks cracked oil pickup tube? Maybe the crack closes enough when it's hot? Last year, during the winter, if my truck was not plugged in it would romp and run rough so bad I could literally floor it and the truck wouldn't even do 20mph. This is not an exaggeration. I would drive it 3 miles down the road to my co-workers house and ride with him. It would never run good during those 3 miles and I could only get up to about 40 mph after those 3 miles. The truck would be running rough when I would shut it down.

SCENARIO #2
Low fuel pressure???? Would this cause it? Maybe we have fuel gel issues and do not know it? Maybe it's gelling in the filter bowl? Anybody ever pull the filter cover when it romps? How do we know the fuel bowl heater works?

Anybody here have romps and a regulated bypass fuel system. What's the fuel pressure at when it romps?

These are just my thoughts and experiences. Some of ya'll may remember this drove me absolutely nuts last winter. I posted about it till I was freakin nuts.... then spring came and I regained my sanity....... and here I am again about to lose it again. AND now I have to get in and drive 55 miles to work, not 3 miles to a co-workers house so this thing has got to get fixed soon.... Or else I'll be plugging in and warming up with the grill blocked off for about 30 minutes... I'm sure the neighbor's will love the straight pipe at 0530-0600 in the AM!!!

I've even been thinking about buying a newer truck with less miles just because of this problem. I hate to throw blind money at a problem which may or may not fix it. I have 275K miles on my 01 so it's got to be mileage related, but where?!?!?

My old man's 02 rolled 120K and it runs quiet, smooth, etc.... No problems whatsoever! His engine accelerates absolutely smooth where as mine is rough. Mine will only smooth out once the revs are over 2K. It smooths out and pulls hard! I guess this is injectors? I'd hate to throw $1500 at it to NOT fix it...

Unfortunately for me, a new truck with less miles will be a used 6.0 or a Duramax....

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John7894
SCENARIO #1:
So, who else thinks cracked oil pickup tube? Maybe the crack closes enough when it's hot? Last year, during the winter, if my truck was not plugged in it would romp and run rough so bad I could literally floor it and the truck wouldn't even do 20mph. This is not an exaggeration. I would drive it 3 miles down the road to my co-workers house and ride with him. It would never run good during those 3 miles and I could only get up to about 40 mph after those 3 miles. The truck would be running rough when I would shut it down.

SCENARIO #2
Low fuel pressure???? Would this cause it? Maybe we have fuel gel issues and do not know it? Maybe it's gelling in the filter bowl? Anybody ever pull the filter cover when it romps? How do we know the fuel bowl heater works?

Anybody here have romps and a regulated bypass fuel system. What's the fuel pressure at when it romps?
I have a regulated return system and in cab fuel pressure guages and I can say without a doubt that my romp is not caused by low fuel pressure.

Your symptoms in scenario #1 sounds to me like you are definitely having a fuel pressure issue/possibly gel issues, possibly at the intank screen or fuel pump. I have no problems accelerating, and doesn't run rough except when it is romping.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dryfly
You mentioned in your first post.That you dont want to use a stancor relay.I am just interested in why that is.Are they inferrior in some way?
No special reason except that I wanted to try the one I got and did not want this to turn into a GPR debate. BTW, google the stancor and see what kind of writups you find on it.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by clux
........Your symptoms in scenario #1 sounds to me like you are definitely having a fuel pressure issue/possibly gel issues, possibly at the intank screen or fuel pump. I have no problems accelerating, and doesn't run rough except when it is romping.

I would concur, BUT plugging it in solved the romps for the most part.....

That's why I was leaning toward a temperature related pressure leak..... Another thing to back my theory is that the hotter it gets outside the better my truck runs. Smoother too.....

I'll also try not plugging in at all and dumping in a bottle of the red Diesel Kleen stuff if it ever happens again. That'll let me know for sure.

Last edited by John7894; 11-30-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John7894
I would concur, BUT plugging it in solved the romps for the most part.....

That's why I was leaning toward a temperature related pressure leak..... Another thing to back my theory is that the hotter it gets outside the better my truck runs. Smoother too.....
Plugging it in will completely prevent the romps in my case, and plugging it in should solve marginal/partial gelling issues because a warmer engine means the fuel returning to the in tank mixing chamber should be warmer sooner. At what temperature were you having the problems?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by clux
........ At what temperature were you having the problems?
Cold down here is the 30's at night. Some times it was in the teens. But plugging it in would completley solve the romps. It wouldn't even romp one bit. That's why it's so confusing and makes me believe it's a temperature related issue.

Who had the writeup on using an original ICP sensor and hooking it to an Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge and using it to read HPOP pressure? I may do that this winter to get an idea if it's oil pressure related.

Where can I tap into for oil pressure? It's a port on the filter housing right? I'll pull the gauge and braidied hose out the race car and throw it in here to see what's going on!

Quick Reply: OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix