1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

&%$*#@+$ PSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim

Looks as if the pumps were combined as just one replacement part now. Dont know when this might have happened. Dont hold me to this but i think the cali pump was a higher volume to go along with the higher pressure FPR.
This could of changed years ago. Just picked up on it now. From the factory the cali truck was carter pump bosch damper. Carter has been the only one to make the pump.

E-mail sent
Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 11-12-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Something to maybe watchout for.
Just recieved the F4TZ-9A375-A pump crush washers.
2 Unopen bags nothing inside! Just my luck.

Beware or be ready to argue

Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Is there any danger of the fuel pump tappet rod falling Into the engine when I lift that pump off??

Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Has never happened to me.
Just from what i have heard.
Not willing to findout
Its the reason for bumping the motor over. Lobe will be at high point.

Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Oh crap 5 pages. I was just going to post something. >>> and 5 pages?! wow... I better keep reading. haha.

I was just going to throw in here after post #15 that starting any turbo diesel for only a brief time and turning it off is not a good idea.

I notice a lot of guys dont let their turbo's spool down and cool for a moment before turning the truck off either.

Short run time shouldn't have caused a problem, if there was air in the line, it pushed it into a poor spot, and the low fuel presure coudln't get it out.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
kawa
Postmaster
OK Guru's put your thinking caps on. I just spoke with one of the mechanics at the local dealership. He was not too willing to talk to me but I gave him the readers digest version of what was going on and asked if it really was a necessary to pull the turbo to change the pump. (Just another opinion) he confirmed that it was necessary.

I told him that I have a mechanical gauge hooked up thru the schrader valve port and that I got readings of 10# & tops of 20#. He gave me a funny look and said: "I guess it could be the pump" I asked what else could it be amd his answer was: "Could be a blockage" and he had a sly little smile as if to say, If you really want to know bring in the truck. That is where our conversation ended.

Now....I don't really know or have a schematic of the fuel system and just where a blockage could occur to not allow a true pressure reading.

Does anyone have any idea's where a blockage could occur other than the FPR screen because I cleaned that.

How/where does the fuel enter the fuel filter and is that directly from the pump? And if all of the fuel gets filtered then why was the FPR screen blocked?

I need help. I am beginning to doubt that the pump is faulty.
Rog

Old 11-12-2007, 01:30 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pretty much anywhere can get a blockage. Does your fuel pressure matter depending on what tank your running on? if now then its not behind the selector valve. Could be at the outlet of the selector valve on the frame rail near the front tank. or anywhere forward of that.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
He can't blow air though the fuel lines backwards can he Tim?
Throw on reverse presure to blow out the blockage.
I'm not sure if that would blow any seals along the way. I do not have a great understanding of fuel systems. But if there is a blockage, he should be able to blast it out I would think and Get some strong additives in his fuel mixture to eat up whatever is left in there.
Mixing in some bio would sure clean out that fuel system after the blockage was gone.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
kawa
Postmaster
It makes no differance what tank that I am on. There are two (2) lines on the top of the pump. I read in the book that the bottom hose is a water drain. off of the back of the pump is a "Y" one of each is connected to each head. I am assuming (Hate to do that) that one one of the top lines is "Fuel in" and the other is "Fuel pressure out".

It would appear to be next to impossible to remove the top two (2) hoses as they are only approx, 3" long at the most and hard as a rock. They are blue in color, I don't know if that is significant of anything but that would sure help it I could remove them, then I could do flow test as well as pressure. Hmmmmm!

I'm going back out and look some more.

Rog

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I think those lines are braided. Thats why they are so hard.
I dont have a high pressure system, so I am unsure.

Usually their is a fuel out and a fuel return line.
And then off of the tank there is also a fuel pressure let off.

Crap... I think i got the link for a mod on that.

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

This has some fuel system info on it, but not what i was looking for.
Some guy had a mod for the tank, i'm sure this isn't the time to talk about this, but he changed the air pressure let off valve on the tank and rerouted some stuff. But it explained the system a bit, which was why i was looking for the link.

There should be 3 lines off the tank.
As for the dual tank stuff, I have no idea. I had dual tanks and only had to replace a tank, never work on the system.

With the same issue from both system, that might mean that you have narrowed down your blockage some to where the system brings the fuel together.

Perhaps you could disconect there, and blow pressure backwards though the system.
I'd put a sock or something over the end, so if anything does come out, assuming you do this, you will find it inside the sock and know there was junk. =)

I'm not 100% sure on the diesel fuel systems. But i would definatly disconect the filter and do the lines individually between there, engine to filter line and filter to tank-Y line.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 pics of the cali pump.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
It also could be air intrusion/restriction.
But you say it happens with both tanks.
Air intrusion/restriction could come from the transfer valve foward. Or valve itself. It has happened.

You could pull the lines off at the quick connects on the front of the motor and run it from a 5gal can of fuel.
Would be the last test that could be done to rule the pump out.

Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
kawa
Postmaster
[
I sure do wish thaat you had a photo of the pump without that black disc so I could see how it's mounted.
Thanks for the photos
R

QUOTE=RÖENTGEEP]

2 pics of the cali pump.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
kawa
Postmaster
I gentle blew compressed air backwards into each tank seperatly and they seem to be clear. I pulled the fuel filter housing and cleared all of those lines and everything appears to be clear.

When I pulled the filter case it looked like a large rats nest of fuel soaked shredded paped and a gritty substance like real fine gravel. I picked a few of these little grits out and they were tiny little half domes approx 1/16". I could press on them and eventually they would break. they appeared to be a hard plastic. Strang. There was enough for two (2) hand fulls.

If I could get around that darn black disc I could change the pump without a problem now that the fuel filter is out of the way.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a chisel and a hammer and get a bite on the driverside of that disc with the hammer tap it toward the back. I bet it will spin right out.

Quick Reply: &%$*#@+$ PSD