2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here...looking at an '08

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 AM
NathanL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here...looking at an '08

New here and first post.

I use a truck for working in the woods everyday. They normally last about 2 years before the major parts like fenders/beds etc... start falling off from being beat into trees and such.

Work gives me an allowance to pay for this truck so it's in my name but I have a personal truck. My personal truck is a 2000 F-250 7.3 diesel that I guess I'll never get rid of. Other than normal maintence nothing has ever gone wrong it. Love it.

My work trucks have always been chevy's and I bought a new body style Z-71 3 weeks ago. I hate it. I have it up for sale as we speak and it has 1,100 miles on it.

So I went today and looked at Ford's. I'm not real up on today's Ford 1/2 ton trucks. I'm looking at a pretty basic truck - no thrills. What I need is 4wd, a decent engine, cruise and cloth seats. That's about it.

So the dealer had an STX on the lot with that and the trailering package which is about what I want. I like the fact it had the manual 4wd shift on the floor as I'm not a fan of the button type. Also a bonus this truck had carpet delete which is right up my alley. No daytime running lights, no auto headlights was another big plus.

My question is - do these hold up to downright abuse pretty well? I use my 4wd an average of 2-3 times a week and in some cases every day of the week when the weather is right. I'll wind up using my winch to get unstuck at least once a week. In a year I'll go through about 10 tires due to punctures and a few bumpers as well.

Second question, what about weight on the front? I'll have to have a steel bumper replacement with grille guard put on to use it. I know the Chevy's in the past have had problems hanging 200+ pounds of bumper and 100+ pounds of winch on the front. I have to have both of these.

Thanks for any insight. I have to do a lot of research as this kinda snuck up on me and now I'm having to get up to speed in a hurry. It's getting really hard to find trucks that are made for work anymore in 1/2 ton size apparently - and 3/4 ton trucks are just too heavy for me.