6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New results: Duramax v. 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Creekowl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New results: Duramax v. 6.4

My brother just visited and we had a chance to play with our trucks. He has a 4 door Duramax modified with the max Banks Engineering mod package, 3:73 gears, with about 100,000 miles. I have an 08 F350 crewcab 4wd longbed 6.4 with 4:30 gears and 8,000 miles.

We started by weighing them at local sand and gravel pit. The Ford weighed 8,800 with 3/4ths tank of fuel and no driver. I have a 60 gallon auxilliary tank/tool box in the bed, which had tool box and other assorted items, but no fuel. The Chevy weighed 8,000 with 1/2 tank and no driver. It had a 5th wheel hookup in bed and assorted chairs and other items.

We then dragged them from a stop. He got the jump so we were never side-by-side but we both agreed the Chevy pulled the Ford about 1 car length and we stayed that way until about 70 or 75 when it looked like he pulled another car length until we let off. We agreed there was little difference in acceleration, and difference was likely attributable to weight.

He pulls a large two-story Fusion recreational 5th wheel RV with 2 Harleys in back. He weighed his rig at a truck stop on the way down and weighed 26,000, truck, trailer and 2 passesgers.

I pull a 3-horse trailer with living quarters. Last trip the truck, trailer, horses, etc. weighed 21,500.

We both drive the same, typically about 5 mph over the speed limit so cruise is set at 75 or 76 on major highways. The Chevy averaged 6.9 mpg traveling from Ohio to Florida. The last trip with the Ford to S. Carolina and back averaged 8.2. Given the weight disparity, the trucks get about the same mileage.

He really liked the Ford, especially the interior, mirrors, and quiet ride. The Ford was also quite a bit "tighter" in feel which is to be expected since it is much newer. He said he would likely get a F450 for his next truck since he needs a new one and is overweight for the trailer he tows.

Hope these comparisons are of some help providing real world experiences with no BS about mileage or acceleration.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
What year was his rig?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Hdfunone
Senior User
Hi, just new here...I am his brother with the 2002 Chevy...love the truck, but also had Fords before. Went to the Chevy for the trans. Chevy has alot of air noise..anyone want to buy my Chevy..lol...She a good truck...

Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
fordfish
Senior User
Chevy's are faster, no doubt, I owned one and the feel more like a gasser in acceleration. What mpg does he average empty? The Ford has a better "feel" to it, a better ride, I'm satisfied FORD is the better of the 3 makers, they've been at it the longest, they all make mistakes.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Ok let me get this straight:

You have a 6 possibly 7 year older D/A thats quicker, hauls more and gets better mpg and you wanna switch? With the original lb7 Duramax motor that even semi-modofied is not suppose to have the output of the new PSD and you wanna change to a Ford? Not to mention your pulling a trailer that no 3/4 ton should technically be pulling - I don't care about 'feeling-better' - it's to much for any 3/4 ton to 'safely' pull.

Also I'd like to point out that those weights are far closer then some here would lead other to beleive. All comes down to bigger tires/wheels and SFA vs. IFS. To boot the New Chevy 3/4 tons are heavier. I'd be suprised if the weight diff. was more then a few hundred lbs

Good reveiw though I always like comparisons ....

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordfish
What mpg does he average empty?
If it was like mine it got 19+ hwy and 16-17 city.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
fruth04
Senior User
geez someone gets defensive quickly, it was just 2 guys comparing 2 trucks.....if u havent owned the 6.4 you cant bash it HD....

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM
6.0 powerstroker
Junior User
Am I missing something you say the Chevy outpulled by about a car length and HD talks about how great that is and why would your brother want to switch. Didn't you say that the Chevy was modified with a Banks power package? I would hope that a modified truck would out accel an unmodified truck every time. I can tell you this without a doubt..... I had my 2003 6.0 with diablo predator set at tow tune and my buddy who has a 2003 Chevy with the same programmer. We have the exact same camper 2005 Keystone 31' Cougars. We are not in the habbit of racing with our campers attached but when we both first got the programers who could resist such a good test....... we lined them up on a highway which is four lane but not much traffic on certain portions..... he never came close.... not from the start not in the middle and not at the end. He was well over 10 truck lengths behind in about 2 miles. What I am trying to say but got a bit off track is that how is the test you just sited fair when his truck is moded and your is not????????????

Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 PM
RoadWarriorz
Freshman User
Smile Dmax vs. 6.4L

Originally Posted by 6.0 powerstroker
Am I missing something you say the Chevy outpulled by about a car length and HD talks about how great that is and why would your brother want to switch. Didn't you say that the Chevy was modified with a Banks power package? I would hope that a modified truck would out accel an unmodified truck every time. I can tell you this without a doubt..... I had my 2003 6.0 with diablo predator set at tow tune and my buddy who has a 2003 Chevy with the same programmer. We have the exact same camper 2005 Keystone 31' Cougars. We are not in the habbit of racing with our campers attached but when we both first got the programers who could resist such a good test....... we lined them up on a highway which is four lane but not much traffic on certain portions..... he never came close.... not from the start not in the middle and not at the end. He was well over 10 truck lengths behind in about 2 miles. What I am trying to say but got a bit off track is that how is the test you just sited fair when his truck is moded and your is not????????????
I believe the point being made here is that the 6.4 L is a strong motor in the real world. Unlike the perception stated by some of the magazines.

The 6.4 has some minor bugs, but very solid for a new motor. It can only get better as we go forward with this new design.....

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah HD is kinda off base like all Gm drivers. Don't you find it funny that almost every GM diesel truck owner refers to there trucks as D/A's not chevys/Gmc's? Just go back to your crybaby site and leave us real truck owners alone!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Well I have about 90K miles of driving a 6.0 and I never once was outpulled by a duracrap they are a joke. DMAX-HD go back over to your Isuzu Forums and have a nice day. It seems that all you do is defend Duramax which is perfectly fine its a free country. But, its getting old when all you do is either make an excuse or try to find a mistake or way around what someone else says about it. I don't care how good a DMAX pulls or run or gets MPG the trucks themselves are inadequate to a Ford and are just plain ugly. When GM gets a front end that looks decent, a front suspension for a real truck not a S-10 thats gonna snap tie rods when I four wheel launch it, and get rid of theyre electical issues with all theyre vehicles we will talk. Oh and yes they put in a TBC not one from a little tykes toy truck.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Hdfunone
Senior User
I don't know how someone thought my truck that I raced my brother was a 3/4 ton truck. It is a one ton crew cab dually with nice custom wheels...looks great and runs great......just not as nice as my brother new Ford dually in my opinion....I have a 100,000 miles on mine and going to buy a new F450.....love this forum...I also have a SRT Dodge that hauls ***..425 HP

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yamaguy
Yeah HD is kinda off base like all Gm drivers. Don't you find it funny that almost every GM diesel truck owner refers to there trucks as D/A's not chevys/Gmc's? Just go back to your crybaby site and leave us real truck owners alone!
I've always found HD's posts to be very much on the level, shoots down the crap stories that people bring in here but never comes in here just to brag about how much better than Ford Chevy is.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I've always found HD's posts to be very much on the level, shoots down the crap stories that people bring in here but never comes in here just to brag about how much better than Ford Chevy is.
I agree. It's nice to have a view from the dark side once in awhile.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Points I was trying to make :

1) 6-7 year diff. in motors. I was suprised to hear the D/A was even close much less ahead. The Banks package for that Duramax model is less then impressive for hp/tq gains.

2) I was under the impression that the gentleman had a 3/4 ton - my bad. 1 ton is better.

3) Yup I do refer to it as a D/A - whats your point? It's kinda like being in the 6.4 forum and I see a lot of people justify the motor becasue of the truck. To say a Chevy or GM truck is inadeqaute is just false - opinoin, nothing more. Probelm being is I can go to an GM site and find a guy that says the same thing about Ford trucks and because of that I do not say 'Mine is better then yours.'

4) An F450 would be a good choice for that amount of weight and it appears he is not expecting good mpg. Plus it's sharp rig to boot.

I do not beleive I bashed any brand. In fact the only brand bashing that appears to be occuring is on the opposite side of the fence towards GM. IF YOU DON'T CARE - DON'T POST!

Quick Reply: New results: Duramax v. 6.4