Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/D light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
blu beast
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/D light flashing

Question for all on the overdrive light for a 93 F-250 w7.5L. When I went to turn off the overdrive the light started flashing. The truck didn't shift into overdrive like I wanted and when I pressed the button again the light stopped flashing and it went into overdrive. It has been shifting normal this whole time. I haven't checked for codes yet (no time). Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 AM
bansheeduner
Senior User
it could be your speed sensor on top of your diff on the rear end could be going bad or dirty.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
americansam
New User
Wink Overdrive Light blinking - F250 Diesel

My OD light started blinking last week. Transmission shifting ok though. The speedometer also acting up. So I replaced the speed sensor on the top of transfer case.. Then went to start truck only to find I had a dead battery. Not sure what problem started first but could be related.
Solution:
I replaced battery (would not hold charge). The speedometer still acting up and OD light still on. I then disconnected both batteries, waited a few hours, then reconnected. Speedometer problem resolved but OD light still blinking. After driving 40 miles or so the OD light went off and problem has not returned. Gonna let it ride.. Too much money spent on Deer season so far!!!
Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
myakkacracka
Senior User
the fuse to the ciggerate lighter is blown

Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
nintey4f150
Senior User
usally when the od light flashes its a transmission code

Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
hugmetoe
Junior User
i had the same problem my light was blinking and it wouldnt shift in to overdrive and i took it to the shop thinking maybe my tranny was shot cause i didnt have any blown fuses and i found out there was a short in my switch and it burned the wires and light was flashing cause it was jumping across wires or something

Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Playa_fl
Freshman User
Yes i think there was a recall on this problem. Dad got a letter in the mail about it and he took it to the shop and had it fixed for free. Sounds just like what hugme is talking about above.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad solenoidin the tranny

JR

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Playa_fl
Yes i think there was a recall on this problem. Dad got a letter in the mail about it and he took it to the shop and had it fixed for free. Sounds just like what hugme is talking about above.
You can determine if your truck has an open (pending) recall by visiting http://www.customersaskford.com/ and using the "Find Recall" bit. Input your VIN number and it'll let you know if there are any recalls on your vehicle that haven't been resolved yet.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
bhubbart
New User
Overdrive Light FLashes

After my engine was installed by a Ford Dealer I Developed alot of Transmission Problems.. First Gear started Slipping, Now My overdrive light flashes after driving above 40mph got a long period of time. then second gear jerks into gear.. I can turn my truck off and on and it resets itself and gears change normal. But all theses problems happened after Engine Installation. What can you make of this?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
blu beast
Junior User
Check the connector to the transmission and make sure it is tight and not dirty inside. Pack it full of dielectric grease and see if it goes away. But before doing that if it hasn't been along time since the engine install take it back to the dealer and tell them whats going on, they may have screwed it up somehow and its there job to fix it right. If not buy a code reader and when its doing it don't turn off the truck and plug in the reader and see what code it is and let us know. Could simple be the vehicle speed sensor on the diff going bad when it gets warm but if the light is on theres a code to give everyone an idea.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM
bhubbart
New User
Smile Thanks

Thanks B I will first have to figure out how to do that. I called another Ford Dealer. They said they can look at it for about 125 and tell me exactly whats going on. I told the Ford dealer that installed and they said it's not associated with anything that they did. I believe so. How do I find this area you are talking about? I know i'm a rookie.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Hunt4Fun
Senior User
I don't know about the transmission problem. I'm still trying to figure out how you spend too much money on deer season........................

Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 PM
blu beast
Junior User
The trans. connector is on the side of the trans. (can't remeber which side) but you can't miss it. What kind of mileage does the truck and trans have? What color and condition is the trans fluid in( bright red, root beer colored)? What is the level like of the fluid( check with the truck running and after you have cycled it thru ranges P,R,N and DRIVE) ?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
bhubbart
New User
Smile 2002 Ranger

The truck has 116,000 on it. the Engine 6,000. The Fluid is Red Not Bright but it's Red. But I'm going to check for the Trans Connector get some Photo's Off the Internet so I can find it And see if that is the problem. But that doesn't stop the Trans fluid that I'm loosing from the Area near where the Engine and the Transmission comes together.

My truck has been in and out of that Ford Dealership since I first got it. After the Engine install I had to go back because it was smoking...Then the lifters were making noise so I took it back for that( Under Jasper Warranty) so they replaced the head. After that I got one Mile and had to Nurse it back. I was loosing Coolant faster than I can get back. When they installed the engine they didn't connect the Washer Fluid Container right. Then another problem was I had a Pinched Hose which was causing my truck to run lean. They said looked like someone stepped on it. So I've had alot of problems since getting the engine installed. I finally sent a letter to the owner of the dealership.

Quick Reply: O/D light flashing