General Automotive Discussion

Best motorcycle tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best motorcycle tire

I am about to replace my tires on my motorcycle for the first time. It is a 2001 Honda Shadow Ace 750. It has the factory tires on it which are (I will give all the numbers on the tire cause I'm not to familiar with motorcycles tires)

Front- 120/90-17 Dunlop (64s) N2389
Rear- 170/80-15 MG Dunlop (775) R2427

We mainly ride on mountain back roads and then there is a long gravel road to the house. I am no crazy rider I just want something that will handle good on those mountains roads. These are roads that aren't traveled much either so they always have some lose gravel and such on them.

My preference would be to find some tires with the white sidewalls (like old car tires) cause it would look good on the bike but I'm not 100% set on that. Would I be better off just replacing them with the factory ones or what would be a good tire to put on the bike?

Also how hard is it to replace a motorcycle tire? I can do them on trucks and such but have never tackled a motorcycle one. Should I just take it to a shop and get them to do it? Thanks for yalls help.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I've used Dunlop 491 Elite for about the last 15 years with good results. They wear well and they are standar equipment on several models of HD.

It is not that difficult to change a motorcycle tire. After you remove the wheel from the bike, you can change one in a little while. You can break the bead with a large C clamp and 2 small blocks of wood. Tighten the clamp with a block of wood on each side of the tire near the wheel. Once you break the bead, you simply remove it like you would a bicycle tire. There are two things to remember when you install the new tire. First, they are directional and you make sure the arrow is pointing in the direction of the rotation. Second, there is a little dot (usually white or yellow)on the sidewall that indicated the lightest part of the tire. You need to line up the dot with the valve stem. I have installed about 10 and have not had one that needed balancing yet. If the tire has been laying on its side a long time with other tires on top of it, it is sometimes a challenge to get it to take air.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
slinger34
Senior User
I work for a cycle shop in the summer, and all we sell are the Dunlops. The Elite series is what we put on all the cruisers. depending on the shop if you buy the tire from them they might put it on for free, if you just bring the rims in. cycle tires have stiffer side walls and will be harder to put on by hand. It all depends on how much money you want to save. I would call around.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
weeds
Senior User
I would check around online and ask at some of the local shops. I have no idea what brand/model tires are good for cruisers, I'm still looking for the soft/sticky ones for sportbikes. As for mounting them, the shops around here usually only charge about $25 mounted & balanced, so I figure it's worth taking it there and not having to worry about it.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Lay the new tire in the sun before mounting it, The heat will help soften the rubber and make it a bit easier to work with, that goes for taking the old one off too!! A bit off soapy water or stop at a big rig tire place and beg for some Murphys tire soap it
will make it alot easier, I would try for the murphys you only need a few ounces and it makes them go on like butter!!
Weeds you need to look at the durometer rating of the tires, If you only ride on the weekends I would go with a sticky tire, but for a Daily rider it will be a never ending parade of new tires if you go too soft!! Just do some swerves to heat up your tires like race car drivers.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Dunlop D404 is what I have on my Royal Star Venture. Nice tire and they are whitewalls.

Avon Venoms are a good tire as well.

One of the bet places I've found for new tires via the internet -- > http://www.swmototires.com/

Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Netfly
Elder User
I've tried both the Elite and Sportmax series at times and have been happy with both. I usually use:

http://www.accwhse.com/

http://www.accwhse.com/dunlop.htm#Tires%20street

For the sport bike I have them high speed balanced.