N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

It's SHOtime...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's SHOtime...

Finally...the SHO is finished! Got the last little bit done yesterday, what a PITA that turned out to be. Originally it was just gonna be a clutch job but it went from that to a major operation in a hurry.

I took it down to the carwash to clean it up underneath before tearing into it and managed to get water into the ignition system, barely made it home. Turned out it was actually down around the plugs, the plug boots weren't sealing to the cam covers anymore and allowed water in there, then the water caused it to short. At the same time the radiator, which had been leaking for almost as long as we'd owned the car, finally let go.

So I got it up in the air and started dropping the subframe and transaxle, wasn't as bad to get out as I'd thought from reading all the posts on the SHO forum, took me about 3-1/2 hours to have the transaxle out and on the ground. Clutch was really shot, the T/O bearing had partly seized and eaten the ends off about half the clutch fingers (diaphragm-style clutch) and of course the disc was about gone as well.

So while I was in there anyway I cleaned everything up, stripped and repainted the subframe, installed the new clutch kit along with turning the flywheel and replacing the rear main seal, which sits in it's own housing which had to be removed and the gasket replaced since it was leaking a little as well. And of course the cover also holds the end pan seal so I had to replace that too, no easy feat, I'll tell you...I should have just dropped the pan, but I'd just changed the oil about a week before the clutch went out and I didn't want to waste the oil...

I also installed new upgraded stiffer subframe bushings and new TPR suspension bushings, and then I went into the top end and pulled the upper intake and thoroughly cleaned it out, pulled the cam covers and cleaned them and replaced the gaskets, checked the valves clearances at the same time (they didn't need work, fortunately...the tools and shims cost a fortune!) and replaced the plugs and wires. Then I installed a new radiator as well.

In addition to all the time it took to do this was all the time I had to spend online researching certain aspects of the job and finding parts. I've sunk about a grand into the thing, which meant I had to stretch it out over several paychecks...SHO parts are expensive! Just the cam cover gaskets were 75 bucks a set and they just consist of a rubber seal for each cam cover and 6 small round seals for the spark plug holes. I found a clutch kit for $176.00 and ordered it, only to find when it arrived that the listing on the website was incorrect and it was the smaller clutch for the '89-'90 SHO only (mine's a '91) and wouldn't fit. No wonder it was cheaper than all the other $250-$300 clutch kits I found...

So I sent it back and ordered another kit from another site for $225, only to find that it did have the right T/O bearing in it and I had to get one from NAPA for another 45 bucks.

I've been working on it in little bits and starts, just whenever I could find the time which is also why it's dragged out so long. But I got it buttoned up Thursday night and fired it up, only to find it had an exhaust leak. That was odd, it had a small exhaust leak before and I discovered that the bell connector at the end of the Y-pipe was split so I cut that off and had a new one made, then welded it on and replaced the donut so that should have taken care of it. Turned out that the EGR tube from the rear manifold had cracked, I would presume it was cracked before and that's where the leak was actually coming from and I opened it up when I unbolted the EGR to remove the manifold. So Friday after work I pulled it out and discovered that it had a short accordian section that was cracked in two places. I got on the 'Net, only to discover that it's an obsolete part and you can only get it used (if you can even find one).

So yesterday I brazed the cracks and reinstalled it, leak gone. (For now...I'll start looking for another one. I don't expect it to last too long...)

So anyway, that's the gist of it. If I were just doing a clutch job and had the new clutch (and turned flywheel) to install I could probably do it now in about 5 hours, but hopefully this one will last 60-70K so won't have to do it again right away. On the other hand, I did see an SHO on Craigslist recently that just needed a new clutch and was in better shape than mine with lots of go-fast goodies, for only 500 bucks because the guy was so intimidated by the cost of having the clutch done (about 1200-1500 bucks from most shops from what I've seen) and everyone should have 2 SHOs, right?

Last edited by TigerDan; 10-07-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too fun my friend, like has been said before..."Weekend Projects, Aren't"

Old 10-07-2007, 03:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I am truly amazed at the projects you do! I am not sure if it is a talent or a curse - but something I admire!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
My experience has been that even something simple like changing a muffler bearing, blinker fluid, or clutch belt can lead down a long, expensive, and time consuming road.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
So true Chet...

Hey Dan, you never replied to my PM's...are you mad at me? Is there no love left?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
You have PMS? And you tried to give it to me? What's the world coming to...

I didn't know you'd sent me any, I guess I didn't get notified. You know I (almost) always respond...I'll go check 'em now...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Dan--- Congrats on winning your battle with the SHO. You mentioned getting another one... you could use the engine for your Sunbeam.

I bet your mom is happy to have her car back.
Karl

Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Actually, if I could find one with a good engine to use as a parts car for mine, I'd definitely consider swapping the motor into the Alpine...I've already looked into it feel it's feasible.

And today I lost the T-case in the Rover, first day I've had it back to drive to work. So it's back to driving the trusty old '68 F250...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
That Ford is the definition of "Ford Tough". Don't forget your Ranger project. That might be a great one get running soon.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Actually, I just got back to work on it. I just knocked off for the evening, got to find a lower radiator hose that's a better fit than the one I have. Did some mods to the P/S pump mounting bracket and got more clearance though, so now it's off to NAPA in search of the pefect hose...

Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Hey Dan, if no luck with NAPA finding the perfect fit, check with Advanced Adapters, I've heard they have kits for everything, and might be able to hook you up with the right hose.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Well, since I'm using an aftermarket aluminum radiator I think it's gonna be more of a trial-and-error process. I doubt AA would have anything ready made for my application. I was thinking I might order one of those universal metal flex hoses though...

Last edited by TigerDan; 10-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Those are cool, I saw Stacy David use them on something a few years ago on "Trucks".

Where do you find the kit at? I'm guessing I'll need that as well in the future.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Campbell 56
Senior User
Weekend projects!

Projects like that are what keep me out getting into trouble. No time to go to the bar. Which is just as well, cuz bar prices are way out of site around here; $5 for a beer is insane.

I ordered the Mr. Gasket stainless flex hoses for my '56. I'll let you know what I think of them when I finally get them installed.

Quick Reply: It's SHOtime...