Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
FTE is my crack

jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
5x8 or 5x10 utility trailer

I'm looking at small utility trailers, either a 5x8 or 5x10. most for hauling crap, log, firewood, or anything thats bigger than my truck bed.

I can either get a tilt model, or one with a mesh gate. I think I want the tilt model cause I wont always be hauling wheeled machinery, and if I do, it tilts, and I'll be able to load more weight (the gate's look heavy)

5x8's are pretty common, a 5x10 is special order, 4 weeks, but I have time

What would you get?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Normally I would lean towards just buying what you need. Why spend extra fuel to tow around extra weight? However, in this case, you are only talking about 2 extra feet of length. You will certainly need the extra space some day and perhaps even save an extra trip because you got everything on the same load.

For me, longer trailers are easier to manuever then shorter trailers. Keep in mind that if the axles, springs and tires are the same for each trailer, then you will have less cargo capacity with the longer trailer. Should be a minimal reduction though.....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

IMO...go with the 5x10 trailer in a tilt config.

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Elder User

jomac11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
5x10 is what i would do as well, never know when that extra 2ft will come in handy.

Dear Ford, Thanks for reminding why I said I would never buy another ford after the last one. Thanks, jomac11
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
I had a 5x8 tilt trailer a few years back, I think it was a Harbor Freight "Do it Yourself". Many times I wished I had a bit more room so I would go with the 5x10.

The only gotcha which probably doesn't apply is that many states require a license for a utility trailer IF it exceeds 2000 pounds capacity. Below 2000 you usually don't need a license or even running lights, as long as they can see the tail lights of your truck. Check your local law before believeing me.

As far as tilt, that is a mixed blessing and most of time I didn't need it or even like it. You have to be very careful when loading or unloading heavy equipment. I had a 500# garden tractor and it was nice to be able to load it on the tilt, but watch out for sudden "teeter tottering" You can get hurt or damage equipment when that trailer suddenly wants to tilt. I am also a little nervous about how much the trailer would bounce on the two locking pins that kept it from tilting when moving. The tilt was also a PITA when taking junk to the dump. You couldn't tilt it when full but when you got to the tipping point watch out.

Equal to equal pricing etc, I would probaly go with a tilt IF I had rolling equipment like a motorcycle, tractor etc.

Oh, and get some good tires, specially if they are those tiny donuts. The ones that come with them are barely adequate for the rated load and WILL Blowout if you go a little over. Seems like the Chinese have taken over the small trailer tire market and in my opinion most of the tires they make are @#$%!!. But I did have good experience with the Greenball brand.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i would go on the bigger side, last january i was looking at enclosed trailers. originally i was looking into a haulmark 5x8. but i wanted a side door that was optional, in the 6x series a side door was std and it was only about 200 more to go with a 10' length. it also has the higher roof, you can stand up inside it (6' interior height) so it ended up being a little cheaper to go bigger than i originally planned (about 2,500) the only bad thing ive experianced is wind resistance, with the taller trailer, it catches alot of wind and overdrive is useless unless running downhill with a tailwind. my trailer weighs about 1,000 empty and has a 2,000 capacity. id forget about a tilt bed, just get ramps. one nice trailer ive seen has a tilt with a hydraulic hand pump, its a tandem axle and is really heavy duty (8-lug hubs) my dad got a small 4x6 trailer from lowes and wished he'd gone bigger, his atv barely fits. he did put on tires ment for a pontoon boat (really wide) for floatation when using it with the atv to go get firewood.Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057

Last edited by racsan; 09-26-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Post Fiend

thorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant future
I wouldn't go any smaller than 10', 12' is a really handy size...and i would get tandem axles...I hate, hate, hate single axle trailers...

I haul my brush/logs/junk on a 20' and 24' gn...so I think bigger's better...

Tim
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
FTE is my crack

jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
here's what I'm looking at:

http://jjnent.com/utility.html

Maybe I'll just get the 6 1/2" x 10ft
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
A standard size for decking is 2"x12"x12'. A lot easier to fit a 12 footer in a 5x10.

If you decide later you want to install a toolbox or storage area in the trailer, it will make carrying 4x8 plywood and such much easier.

With a little finess, you can fit 2 ATVs into a 5x10.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Postmaster

aurgathor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Personally, if I were to buy an open trailer, it should be 12' - 13' long. Also, for a custom built trailer I would make sure it would use the same wheels as the usual towing vehicle -- that way, one spare tire may be enough for both.

Last edited by aurgathor; 09-27-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
> I would make sure it would use the same wheels as the usual towing vehicle

I agree.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Senior User

avator is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a tilt bed 4X8.... never used it. I would never pay extra for another one.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Freshman User

pff250hd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I live about 30 miles from Sikeston, there are 5 or 6 different manufactures in that area. Shop around and look at the different trailers in that area. I bought a 5 by 8 tilt mesh about 15 years ago there. Still have it and like it. I pull it around, picking up limbs and whatever with my wifes atv, but like I said shop around down there and get the price.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Posting Guru

grafekie is starting off with a positive reputation.
You must be towing with a pretty small car There aren't many trucks with tires as small as a 10' trailer's!

When I need a trailer, I need a big one, so I'd try to find something 16'ish in size, or bigger. 20' or 24' would be nice sometimes. If you're going to get a trailer, get one that can do everything you need If you just need a "pickup bed" than a 10' would be fine. If you need to haul something bigger then get bigger; its usually less than $100 per extra foot of length. Rarely do you find yourself "overtrailered". I wish I had purchased a 24' trailer instead of the 16' + 4' trailer I ended up buying back in Febuary.

2002 F150 SuperCab Short Bed FX4 5.4L V8 Firestone Load Level Air Suspension - totalled by Spradley Barr Ford
1995 K3500 Regular cab 8' bed 4x4 6.5L
2007 Featherlite 8413 20x7x7' Stock Trailer
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Post Fiend

> There aren't many trucks with tires as small as a 10' trailer's!

Many Fords have the 5 x 4.5 and/or P235/75r15 on them. Which happens to be what you find on many Rangers and Bronco IIs. So, my little trailer does fine with my little Bronco II sharing the same spare. I have a spare for the trailer too, but, don't take it for short local trips. FWIW I would never tow a trailer with (2) ATVs behind the B2.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
10, 2000, 5x10, 5x8, capacity, cargo, easier, northern, oregon, portland, pull, sikeston, singleaxle, trailer, utility, va