1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drop axle or lowered leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drop axle or lowered leaf springs

What do you folks think. Would or do you prefer the drop axle or something like the posie drop springs for a 49 F1?

Also I am planning on using a 429 with a 4 speed and a 9". I don't know if this will sway your opinion one way or another but that is the "tenative" plan.

And, what would you do out back? More posies, remove leaves, a 4 link with coil overs, something completly diffrent, ......

Any help is appreciated. Come on folks, I know you got something.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
posie drop springs
Are these monos? I personally would shy away from monos with a big heavy engine. I plan on reverse eye springs for mine with a drop axle in the future, but I'm holding out for a quality drop axle like Mordrop.

Expect to spin tires with the torque from that 429.....4 link would be best.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on how much you want to invest $$$? I always ran with a reverse eye spring and removed all the leafs but maybe two or three. It was OK, but I had no travel in the suspension at all. I recently installed a drop axle, which I should of done from the get go. It cost considerably more, but if your plan is to drop the body and keep the straight axle, the drop axle is the way to go while still retaining a drivable suspension. The big block won't make a big difference and you can always compensate by adding leafs to the suspension. Out rear, it's a matter of choice and cost. Removing leafs works, changing the hangers, shackle etc gets you down low. Four links are nice if you can afford to go that way. It's what you want and how to go about getting the stance you want. Not always an easy thing to do and definitely not cheap if you do it the right way.

Last edited by imlowr2; 09-18-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
No. Posies are not monoleafs. Just the thought of a monoleaf spring scares me. If I understand correctly, the posies are the same as stock as far as the eye goes but they are dearched a bit to get the lower stance and suposedly they still have plenty of travel. I saw them in either a no limit or a cpp catalog. I don't remember which.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
They sell posies in the Speedway catalog. They are like normal springs and dearched to whatever drop you want. As far as keeping the suspension the same. NO WAY. Any time you use the springs whether its dearching them, removing them, reverse eye, etc. You are bringing that frame of the truck closer to the axle, thus reducing the suspension. You can cut the rubber snubber in half, giving you some more suspension clearance. A drop axle will give you the 3 inch or so drop and still keep the stock suspension clearance, if your using the stock springs.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the help imlowr2. I'm glad someone else has heard of the Posies and I am not just losing my mind and dreaming these things. Do you have any experience with posies or do you have an opinion?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thendrix
Thanks for the help imlowr2. I'm glad someone else has heard of the Posies and I am not just losing my mind and dreaming these things. Do you have any experience with posies or do you have an opinion?
I've heard good and bad just like anything else. I know a few people who have used them. The downfall is they are expensive compared to keeping your springs and replacing the main spring with a reverse eye. Most people I know buy the reverse eye and go that route. If your springs are shot and need replacing, I consider the posies. If money is a concern, there are several other ways to drop the front or rearend. Do some searches on FTE, you'll get some good advice on this subject.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
I have heard there is a lot of grinding to do on the 48 - 50 spring hangers when using reverse eyes is this true? If so how much? Sems like that would weaken the hanger and that doesn't sound very good to me.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
This time I have a little more knowledge of Posies. According to their online catalog, you can buy the dearched ones as part number 152F and 152R (F=front, etc) they are a 2" drop in front, a 3" drop in rear. Also include the super slider buttons and stock bushings. They also have the dual flex springs which are the double mono set up. Their catalog doesn't say what drop these are. part number D152F and D152R. I'm curious if anyone knows how much drop they are, or if they're the same as the dearched spring pack? (I noticed they list the D152R price as NA, so maybe they stopped selling them?)

Hanger grinding: using either of these Posies, is there any required hanger grinding? I ask because I may just go back to stock height in the future. If my overloads will still clear, I plan on keeping them on. My original thoughts of reversing the eyes, and removing some leafs is my "go ahead" idea so far, but am considering other options. I just don't like the idea of grinding my hangers.

I'm guessing not many of us have much experience with the Posies?

In regards to the Eaton statement about rearching springs as a bad idea, I'm curious towhere I can buy reverse eye mains, as Ed says in his post? none of my catalogs show them for 48-52. Or would 53-54 work?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
chloichina
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A phone call to Eaton will cost nothing 1-313-963-3839. I have a feeling they will advise you to get NEW springs any way about it they will not lead you to rearching these are old springs at the end of there life. It is expensive but you will get off the phone with more knowlege. This is the way I went and they rated the springs for my engine and also dropped the ride height of my truck 3 inches. There is my only question you should ask is are the springs you want rated for the weight of the 429 engine or the standerd 350 bow tie every one tends to use. I love the fact you have asked us and you will get some really great feedback good luck. These people really know what they are talking about.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer an IFS but if you keep a straight axle go with the dropped axle up front. I've found moving the rear end above the springs is the easiest way to get the rear end down...about 5-6 inches. I've done a 48 and a 49 now and was able to do this without a frame notch in both cases by using later springs and mounting them lower on the frame. On the 48 I used 87 Chrysler 5th avenue springs, hangers, and shackles and on the 49 I used 88-90 Dodge D50 (same as Mitsubishi) springs, hangers, and shackles. The later springs also improve the ride tremendously. With the D50 springs you can actually retain a lot of your hauling capacity if you're interested in that since it is a progressive spring with only three leaves. You ride on two and the flatter, thick third leaf only comes into play with loads...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by havi
In regards to the Eaton statement about rearching springs as a bad idea, I'm curious towhere I can buy reverse eye mains, as Ed says in his post? none of my catalogs show them for 48-52. Or would 53-54 work?
Eaton will make the reverse eye springs for you for a 48-52. They will make anything you want actually. Give them a call. I would also call Mid Fifties because they carry springs and will give info on where to get them. The 48-52 springs are not the same size in length as the 53-56. In fact, I believe the 56 spring won't fit the 53-54 either? At least according to their charts on springs. Last option, dont really recommend it, but you can find a leaf spring place that does dearching etc, they can bend you the reverse eye if you want.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
we have a cnc 400,000 ton press at work, that would easily rearch my springs, but the fact remains that they are 50 year old springs. I would assume the Eaton reverse eye mains are cheaper than the Posies? I'm looking at a 3" drop, max....for now. Anyone have a 3" lowered 48-52 with the original wheels, or smoothies for pics?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Scott, a couple things. First, I wouldn't rearch 50 year old springs for obvious reasons. Second, unless you really know what your doing, I wouldn't rearch the springs myself, It takes the right pressure and bend to get the right lowering. Most guys who do the rearch know exactly how much to bend and both springs are even. If money is a factor, check out JC Whitney, they sell stock springs and I heard they are good. They are inexpensive too. Then take those to a spring shop and have them rearch them to where you want your truck to sit. Both springs might be under $200 with everything.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
I've just finished installing a 3" dropped axle in my 51F1. I didn't realize going into the install how involved it was going to get. One thing led to another and I have now gone through the entire front suspension and steering. Getting to my point for writing this, if I could start this project over I would think more about going to the Jaguar suspension it would have probably been cheaper. JMO though

Quick Reply: Drop axle or lowered leaf springs