1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Anybody got a Leer 700 fiberglass lid???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Superbru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for a fiberglass lid, and have it narrowed down to the Leer 700 and the A.R.E. I'm leaning towards the Leer. The leer has new style automotive style latches and single push button entry, which I like, and also the interior headliner is free this month(100.00 saving). My only question is I hear the Leer is hard to put back on once removed. Anyone have one of these, please respond.
Thanks,

Bru

Old 04-21-2002, 07:12 PM
jakebird
New User

I got a Leer 700 cover fitted to my 2002 sc about three weeks ago. To be honest I wish I had not purchased it. Afer fitting to my sc we got on the interstate at around 60 - 65 mph we heard a awful loud beating noise, I asked my wife if the cover was lifting up from the truck. This was on I30 in Little Rock, we returned to the dealer to complain, afer spending another 60 - 70 minutes drive ing with the staff to repeat the noise, a call to Leer, it was determined that the front seal was too thin, another one is on order. They made a temporary fix by pushing the seal into the truck bed. This stopped the noise. On arrival home on inspecting the cove I discovered some poor painting, with primer showing around the bottom edges, and of course the cover did not fit so well due to the reposition of the seal. Needless to say I was not impressed with the cover after spending a total of $745 including tax. But over the past weeks I have grown to like the cover better, it does lock & keep items secure, it has been water tight and has helped gas milage. Other negative facts, 4x4 sc's are tall, my wife cannot reach the pull to close the cover, also the cover tends to be hard to close & open due to the stong gas struts used. Also Goss Campers in Little Rock did reorder me a new cover after I complaind, the was gracious on their part, because it is a special order item.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Superbru
Senior User

Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I finally saw a supercrew yesterday with a Leer 700 lid installed, and I wasn't impressed with the way it fit. The rubber gasket shows on the sides and the lid doesn't cover the top of the bed right behind the cab. After hearing about your troubles, I think I'll pass on the Leer.

Thanks again for the info.

Bru
2002 F150 Super Crew
Black 4X4 Lariat
5.4 Engine Ford Chrome Bars

1979 Bronco 351M 75K orig.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:22 PM
Guyro
New User

I considered a tonneau(lid?) and opted for the topper by ARE. I was concerned about the low height clearance for the lid. ARE recently improved the fit and finish of both the tonneau and the topper for the SC. I am please with mine and have received many compliments. Seems to be tight- no water leaks. The only negative is the "bed extender" is now useless. The rear opening is not large enough for the bed extender to clear when pivoting out.

Guyro,
2001 XLT SC, Black/gold pinstrips, leather, ARE topper

Old 04-24-2002, 06:51 PM
jakebird
New User

Bru,
After calling my Leer dealer today, they told me that Leer had stopped production for the present Leer 700 lid, to retool and improve or replace the rubber strip between the cab & truck bed. I hope that this is true. Has anyone else had the same problems with this product.

Old 04-27-2002, 03:08 PM
dbugem
Junior User

I had a 2000 F-150 7700 supercab with the ARE lid. It was excellent quality with great fit and finish. Good Luck!
dbugem

Old 05-01-2002, 08:29 PM
fastow
New User

wow i'm glad i found this post / site i just order a 02 crew to be here in two weeks also been looking for covers for it. I had just ordered the A.R.E. cover monday I have only seen one and I will need to travel 100 miles to get it. Sounds like I made a good choice for there was only century and leer in my area. Also what sold me on the A.R.E. was the remote control lock they tell me that the cover will lock and unlock with the truck remote.That sounds really good. on the bed extender my ford dealer talked me out of it cause of the cover, but i really thought it would work and told him go ahead and order one. The big thing on the extender won't i be able to leave it in to keep things from sliding all the way foward in the bed . Thanks B. Abbott Jr.

Old 05-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Superbru
Senior User

>wow i'm glad i found this post / site i just order a 02 crew
>to be here in two weeks also been looking for covers for it.
>I had just ordered the A.R.E. cover monday I have only seen
>one and I will need to travel 100 miles to get it. Sounds
>like I made a good choice for there was only century and
>leer in my area. Also what sold me on the A.R.E. was the
>remote control lock they tell me that the cover will lock
>and unlock with the truck remote.That sounds really good. on
>the bed extender my ford dealer talked me out of it cause of
>the cover, but i really thought it would work and told him
>go ahead and order one. The big thing on the extender won't
>i be able to leave it in to keep things from sliding all the
>way foward in the bed . Thanks B. Abbott Jr.

Hey Fastow,

I have the bed extender in my truck and use it all the time. Like you said, it keeps things from sliding around. When I put a 5 gallon gas can in the bed it stays put, even if you stop/start/corner a little too fast. I hear a lot of people bad mouthing the extender, but I like mine a lot.

I saw a Supercrew with an ARE lid this week and it looked great.

Good luck!

Bru
2002 F150 Super Crew
Black 4X4 Lariat

Old 05-02-2002, 07:26 PM
jakebird
New User

Hi Fastow,
I am useing my bed extender with my Leer 700 tonnea cover, it does keep thing from sliding around. Without the extender holding items in place, they would be hard to get due to the cover & the hieght of 4x4 screw.

Old 06-01-2002, 09:11 PM
texan_eagle_scout
Senior User

Old 06-03-2002, 07:31 PM
jakebird
New User

Hi Jake Here,
In res[onse to one of my previous messages. Leer did retool the front seal on their 700 sereies tonneau cover, I finally got a new cover fitted this weekedn. No further noise problems, paint quality is alittle better and the cover does apear to fit my screw better than the last one. But I guess True blue is a hard cover to match. The new seal works, my wife and I drove 350 that weekend with no problems from the truck or the cover.
Jake
2002 screw fx4 x 4,

Old 06-03-2002, 08:46 PM
tnscrew
New User

i just got a supercrew and have been debating a tonneau cover. do the ford dealers all sell the same one and which is it? i would like to get one color matched to the truck. if you don't go thru ford, do you see any problem getting the color right?

Old 06-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Superbru
Senior User

tnscrew,

I don't know about the dealer installed ton. covers, but the ones I looked into, ARE and Leer, both come painted to match your truck. They ask you for your paint color number when you order the lid.

Bru
2002 F150 Super Crew
Black 4X4 Lariat

Old 06-04-2002, 05:59 PM
tnscrew
New User

superbru, thanks. i just talked to one of my neighbors. he has a king ranch w/hard cover. he got his from camper world (something like that) here in memphis and said the same thing; they matched the paint. it also cost about 1/2 of what ford wants ($600+ vs. 1300+ at ford).

Old 06-04-2002, 10:30 PM
fastow
New User

tnscrew I just got a AREII lid on my Screw paint matched perfect and they seem to have a better lift device, and the big thing is it was the only one that I found that offered keyless entry that works with truck door locks makes it really nice if you get in and out of the bed alot. Anyone else know of anyone that offers this feature. Just wondering

Quick Reply: Anybody got a Leer 700 fiberglass lid???