1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stuck real leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
tonygray
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck real leaf springs

Once again rust is kicking my butt. I'm trying to get the rear end off of my 56,and the studs are stuck hard in the frame spring brackets ... any suggestions short of dynamite? I've been keeping them soaked in liquid wrench and smack them with a hammer and punch every chance I get.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
ditz
Junior User
Get some stuff called Kroil. If anything will free it up this is the stuff. I have never found it in a store but you can find it on the internet. Good luck

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
uk1050
Elder User
ive been working on a jeep and had the same problem, i finally just cut the bolt with a cutoff wheel.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by uk1050
ive been working on a jeep and had the same problem, i finally just cut the bolt with a cutoff wheel.
on previous trucks, this is what I've done, then use a shop press to force the remnant out. Also, if air is available, an air hammer may go quick enough. If there is rubber there, dawn dish soap works in lubricating it, too.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tonygray
Once again rust is kicking my butt. I'm trying to get the rear end off of my 56,and the studs are stuck hard in the frame spring brackets ... any suggestions short of dynamite? I've been keeping them soaked in liquid wrench and smack them with a hammer and punch every chance I get.
I don't remember any studs in the rear frame spring brackets. Mine are/were riveted to the frame. An air hammer with a chisel removed the heads quickly and using a punch in the air hammer drove them out easily.

It may be too early in the morning for my last gray cell to work. Are you talking about the U-bolts that secure springs to the axle? What studs?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
LOUS F100
Freshman User
You might try heating the shackle with a torch, that helped me along with the WD-40.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Randy Jack on this one. There are no studs beside myself (Sorry, I saw it coming)? If it's the U bolt your talking that holds the rear end to the leaf springs I know my friend who works at a suspension shop uses Transmission fluid. Soak the rusted parts good over nite. The tranny oil penetrates the rust really nice and then use an impact wrench. If it's the shackle, use Randy's advice. The rivots are a pain to get out.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I think he means the shackle bolts.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM
tonygray
Junior User
One parts catalog calls them studs, another calls them pins ... to use a technical description, they are the thingies with the grease fittings on the end that go through the eyes on the springs to mount them to the truck. I decided to just knock the rivets out of the frame mounts and pulled the entire rear assembly off. Now that its off maybe I can figure out how to get them loose. I know that when I put it back together a little anti-sieze compound is going on them.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try using and soak them in transmission fluid. Then use a big hammer and pound them out. You can also take them to a machine shop that has a hydraulic press and have them pressed out.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Tony,

I haven't seen it mention yet so I thought I better chime in here and post the only tried and true method to remove the pins and springs. I think 99% of us here have used one form of this method with great success.

OK, first things first.....

1. find an old sailor and get a few lessons on cussing. You will need lots of "salty" language. After you get comfy with spitting out your new vocabulary in loud long 3 to 5 minute rants, then you are ready for the next step.

2. look around in and under your truck until you find some decent rusty, scaly dust. Gather the dust until you have at least a cup of it. Now, holding first one eye open and then the other get a handful of the scaly dust and rub it into your eyes generously.

3. Once both eyes are stinging and watering without and end in sight. Grab a large wood rasp and drag it across the back of your hand and knuckles

4. Take your large hammer (BFH) hold it tightly, make a fist with your other hand and repeatedly smash the hammer into your fist (prefereably on the knuckle of your index finger that you just pulled the rasp across)

5. just for good measure, while laying under your truck try sitting up several times so as to smash your forehead into a crossmember (preferrably a scaly, rusty, dusty section)

6. Now that your hands are bloody, knuckles are sore, head hurts, eyes are blurry, go get yourself a frosty beverage

7. Repeat steps 1-6 (In severe cases you may proceed directly to step 6)

Good luck with the pins. They can be a real pain. You might try adding and/or taking weight off the springs. If they are really worn and grooved you might have to find just the right spot to get them to move. I have heard that some people have had luck using a dent puller threaded into the grease fitting hole. I did mine with the bed still on the truck. Someone had cut holes in my front x-member for access. I used a long (16") piece of 1/2" round stock for a punch and beat the tar out of mine to get them out.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Technically, did you remove the locking pin thingie?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Technically, did you remove the locking pin thingie?

I just love tech talk!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
tonygray
Junior User
The locking pin thingies were easy ... using a 5-pound sledge hammer and a big punch.

Bobby, I've used the technique you mentioned frequently. I think my eyes are grit magnets. I've started wearing my safety glasses any time I get within 15 feet of that truck.

If I can get the u bolts off the leaf springs, I may try the press idea. I hate to cut them off at $8 a piece, but after fighting with them for two days, the money math is starting to get me thinking ... $24 divided by many hours ... I'm working for waaay less than minimum wage

Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
I just cutoff the old U-bolts and then used a $10 HF air hammer to pound out the spring pins. Took less than 10 minutes to accomplish what I had wasted several days on before. The punch and BFH, the Kroil, the heat got me nowhere until the air hammer. Good luck!